DevsAdvocate

Joining the CMP...

But then it would need to be shipped to an FFL, correct?

Yes - but only since the Christie administration and our benevolent AG Paula Dow <bows low to grant due respect to the Queen>...

/Sarcasm OFF

Prior to that they were shipped to your door.

yes you either pick up in person in Ohio and spend 8 hours driving each way in a car, or you drive to your local ffl and pay the nics and transfer fee and pick it up there.

Sorry for the debbie downer

What'd you do to get one? Drive out? Or order?

dev, i am gonna go to cherry ridge this weekend, if you want, i will bring a few garands and you can shoot a few rounds

Let me know what day. I was planning on going out to my range in PA for some shooting on Friday since I have off, but I may be able to squeeze in a second day of shooting. :)

I've drove out to the CMP both times I've bought a gun from them. First time was a service grade HRA that I ended up trading, second time was to pick up an M1D.

If you have people to go with and split the cost of gas, it's really worth the trip. If you only plan on buying one gun, it may be worth mail ordering. THOUGH the pickings have been slim at the North and South store so whether you mail order or you visit in person, you are taking a huge chance.

Your best bet is to start reading the cmp forums and finding out when the good stuff hits the shelves.

I've drove out to the CMP both times I've bought a gun from them. First time was a service grade HRA that I ended up trading, second time was to pick up an M1D.

If you have people to go with and split the cost of gas, it's really worth the trip. If you only plan on buying one gun, it may be worth mail ordering. THOUGH the pickings have been slim at the North and South store so whether you mail order or you visit in person, you are taking a huge chance.

Your best bet is to start reading the cmp forums and finding out when the good stuff hits the shelves.

Sounds good to me. I was looking over the site, and it appears it was picked dry. I understand a few folks here get together and drive out, so I was prolly gonna wait for that if they're up for it again.

I'd love to get an M1, but an M1903A3 would also be a catch :)

Keep dreaming on an 03a3. The CMP has extremely limited quantities that they are still sorting through. Almost all of them have been American Legion drill rifles that are completely beat to crap and are for the most part destroyed. Also the prices aren't going to be that attractive. I suggest if you want one, you try and find one on the open market at this time because after the CMP releases this last batch, the price on the open market will go skyrocketing.

Keep dreaming on an 03a3. The CMP has extremely limited quantities that they are still sorting through. Almost all of them have been American Legion drill rifles that are completely beat to crap and are for the most part destroyed. Also the prices aren't going to be that attractive. I suggest if you want one, you try and find one on the open market at this time because after the CMP releases this last batch, the price on the open market will go skyrocketing.

Can an 03A3 shoot modern .30-06? I heard that the Garand has issues with that due to the gas system. A bolt should be more reliable, right?

Can an 03A3 shoot modern .30-06? I heard that the Garand has issues with that due to the gas system. A bolt should be more reliable, right?

A 1903A3 can shoot any commercial 30-06 ammo. A M1 gas system is set up for the pressure curve generated by M2 ball ammo which has a 150 gr bullet and a medium burning rate powder. If you shoot heavier bullets or hotter loads you will damage the gas system. The easiest and cheapest source of M2 ball is the CMP. There are also commercial loads available safe to shoot in a Garand.

Not a case of reliability but a case of shooting ammo that was designed for the gun.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3S1903A3SS

I'm reading that this deal ain't legit. That, and 1903A3s are supposedly cheaper than this. I'm gonna begin my search now for one, and hope to get one in the future.

Those are rebuilds and while they might be good shooters if you are looking for an original and a collector that wouldn't be the place to start.

Even though I hate their new store, it may be worth taking a trip out to Sarco in PA. They usually have them and at decent prices.

I've been hemming and hawing about whether I want to buy one or not because they are iron sights and I hate iron sights. I would love to get my hands on a sniper, but thats currently out of the price range at the moment.

Those are rebuilds and while they might be good shooters if you are looking for an original and a collector that wouldn't be the place to start.

Even though I hate their new store, it may be worth taking a trip out to Sarco in PA. They usually have them and at decent prices.

I've been hemming and hawing about whether I want to buy one or not because they are iron sights and I hate iron sights. I would love to get my hands on a sniper, but thats currently out of the price range at the moment.

I may do that this Friday since I'll be in PA anyways, and Easton, PA is on the way to my range on 78.

I only want one so I can compete in my club's CMP/Rifle competitions. Being a collector is an added value though. If I can get an '03A3 that is in good condition that I can shoot often, that would be great.

$800 is a bit much for me though... how much does a decent quality 03A3 go for?

It's not so much damaging of the gas system, it's more of, sooner or later you will end up with a bent op rod. And they are not cheap to replace.

The op rod is the only part of the gas system you can damage short of taking a hammer to the gas cylinder.

Price on an 03a3 can vary alot depending on a number of things

Originality

Scope holes ( these take alot off the value)

Maker

Stock( originals are worth alot more)

If you just want a shooter, get a national ordinance one. They are built from usgi parts on a new receiver. They are much cheaper than a usgi one

If you just want a shooter, get a national ordinance one. They are built from usgi parts on a new receiver. They are much cheaper than a usgi one

I would stay away from National Ordnance stuff. Their original recievers (made in Yugoslavia?) were poor quality and the later ones were better. The receivers are investment cast and not made to the higher standard investment casting is today. None is up par with a GI receiver. The little bit more you pay for a GI receiver is worth it.

Forgot to say you can also shoot a Garand with any commercial ammo if you install an adjustable gas plug.

What'd you do to get one? Drive out? Or order?

I drove both times, and i feel that even if the pickings are slim i have foudn that there are always diamonds in the rought. i boguth two field grades that were in ok over all shape, the one had drift wood for a stock but the MW was 1 and the TE was a 1.5 can't get much better then that.

Sounds good to me. I was looking over the site, and it appears it was picked dry. I understand a few folks here get together and drive out, so I was prolly gonna wait for that if they're up for it again.

I'd love to get an M1, but an M1903A3 would also be a catch :)

Better off buying an 03 from aim surplus then finding a CMp one, they are down to almost nothging, if your set for a 1917 a Krag or a 1903 your best bet is to either mail order, or drive to the south store.

My advice is to start buying loose 30-06 from the CMP. while you can. Orest said that his job is to not keep ammo around for ever, i got in on the end of the clipped ammo panick not to long ago, but being how i may be jobless soon the loose ammo can wait.

Looking to buy an M1 Garand ("M1SPECIAL") from the CMP. Got my documents filled out and have the following:

- Photocopy of my Passport (To meet US Citizen requirement)

- Photocopy of my DL + FPID (To meet NJ requirement)

- Photocopy of my Club Membership Card (To meet club membership requirement)

- Photocopy of my NJ Hunter Cert Card for Shotgun and ML (To meet shooting activity requirement)

- FFL address and phone number (I don't think FFLs will let me copy their State Cert) <--- Would this be enough??

If that's all I need, I'll go get it notarized and dispatched. Am I good to go?