Hello NJGF Community,

I will be applying for my FOID when I return to New Jersey, however, I do not yet have my license to drive, but I do have my permit. Can I put my permit I.D. number in place of the driver license section of the FOID application?

Thanks,

-Plasma133

You do not need a DL or a permit to get an FID card. To get an FID card in NJ, you need two things...

1)Proof of self. US Passport is usually the best, but if not, a DL or Permit, or ANY STATE ID is accepted.

2)Proof of residence. Usually, two of three recent bills will do. Electric, gas, and phone/cable are the best.

They cannot require DLs or Permits because that would require one to be licensed to drive in order to purchase guns, and of course, that isn't the case.

(P.S.) When I applied for mine, the above two (passport and bills) were all I presented to the detective.

When you DO get your FID, you will want to buy something. When you get to a gun shop or your FFL, they require your FID card AND a NJ ID which has your photo AND address on one card. In NJ, as far as I can see, you have three options for that one....a DL, A permit, or a non driver ID. I have a non driver ID as I have a NY DL (doesn't pull points from other states ;) )and didn't want to give it up, so I needed to get a non driver ID, as I can't have a NJ DL while keeping my NY one.

In short, use your passport, and you will have no problems.