civilwar321

selling a Flint locking pistol

Hey Guys,

So i have a old 1812-1850 flint locking pistol and its not in prime condition but its got all the parts and its just looks a little dirty, anyway my question is this

i would like to sell this dusty tool, it was given to me by my father and well i'm not a gun collector and its just been sitting in my attic.

Do i need a permit or a license to go to an antique gun store and sell it

i dont know the exact date of it but by comparing the pictures to the ones online its from 1812-1850 era

Pay to get it appraised first. If you just try and sell it at a gunshop, you'll take the first $100 offer that comes your way, when the pistol may be worth many times that.

Only problem is if they do not sell it the current owner may need to get a P2P to get it back, I know it works that way with regular pistols, but not 100% sure on a flinlock.

Harry

Don't try to clean it up. Collectors want all the original patina on such a gun. It is an antique (being made before 1898) under Federal law and most state laws but not sure about NJ. I do remember reading something once that may exempt it under NJ law but would need to research it.

NJAC 13:54-1.3a exepmts most antique rifles and shotguns but not handguns from state firearms laws (with some conditions of course). Apparently NJ still looks at your gun as a fireram. As I said in my previous post Federal law and most other state laws do not consider it a firearm. If you take it to another state where it is considered an antique and not subject to firearms laws you could do a private transaction F2F.

If you take it to another state where it is considered an antique and not subject to firearms laws you could do a private transaction F2F.

Would the NJ resident still be bound by the rules of there own home state even if out of state even though it's not recognized as a firearm outside of NJ?

Harry

NO

NO again. NJ law is only an issue in buying a long gun out of state and your need to have a firearms ID card. Other than that NJ law stops at the border. You will be bound by Federal law and the law of the state you're in. Go open carry in PA or CCW with no permit in Alaska. NJ has nothing to say about it.