diamondd817

Taurus 66 Revolver

I have an older 6-shot Taurus 66 that was made in the early 90s, and which I believe was a police service pistol. There is slight evidence that it was holstered for a time. I was able to easily key in the serial number at the Taurus sight and get the age. It is a very solid revolver similar to a Ruger GP100, and although a little rougher in some respects than a S&W 686, I believe it to be more along the lines of the Ruger in durability. It has a hefty weight to it that helps with the .357 recoil, as well. The sights are adequate and there is a reddish-orange swab of paint on the front site which helps with visibility, but unlike a GP100, the sight is not replaceable. I am not sure about the newer ones, but I don't think the front sight is removable on them, either. Mine has been fired a lot and is broken in and has a relatively smooth action and trigger pull. It is not as good as a friend's broken-in Ruger, and certainly not as good as a S&W (but, I could have two of these for the price of the S&W). The action is nice and the single action trigger on mine is probably about 4-5 pounds with maybe a 10 or 11 pound double action trigger. What can I say, it works nice, and I think the timing is right on. I believe that the one I have is safe to carry with the hammer down on my model 66 and it doesn't have that key lock that is present on the newer 7-shot ones to make it inoperable. <BR><BR>Personally, I don't think you can find a better quality double action revolver for around $350 unless you can find a bargain GP100 or older Ruger Speed/Security Six, and you might be able to get an older one like mine at an even better price. <BR><BR>The only thing I would really like to change on the one I have is to replace the quality wooden grip with some rubber Hogue ones to aid in holding on to it, especially with when the .357 round is fired. And, I do feel a slight pinch between the trigger guard and the front strap on the grip where it comes together on my trigger finger, although I think the newer rubber grip that is shaped slightly differently would correct this, and judging by the image on the one in the link you provided, I don't see it as a problem.<BR><BR>Would I like a smoother trigger and maybe a trigger job? Yes! But it certainly isn't a problem with this little stainless workhorse. I enjoy shooting it, and I believe mine is extremely dependable, and I have used it for my bedside gun. Would I like to change the sights out and install a front fiber optic/tritium sight if I could. Yes, that would be nice for my aging eyes. But I can't. <BR><BR>I certainly recommend it as a budget .357. Would I spend another $100 and possibly get a 4" Ruger GP100, used? Sure! But if a used Taurus 66 could be had for under $300, it would certainly be a good value. And, it does have a lifetime warranty which is a nice feature.<BR><BR>The newer model that you have linked to, above, seems to address all of my concerns with my gun, except it doesn't appear that you can change out the front sight. If you handle it and the trigger feels OK to you, I would certainly consider it.

"That's interesting, if it's true. Taurus makes their revolvers from the tooling it bought from S&W. Kinda like Stoeger and Beretta."

Or even Taurus and Beretta with the PT92. I need to order those grips for mine. I like it now, and I am sure it will be a lot nicer with Hogue grips on it. I cannot speak for all of the Taurus revolvers, but the 66 is quality made. I stil wish I could swap out the front sight, though. I would like a tritium/fiber optic on the front I have my eyes set on getting one of the 6.5" barrel stainless Model 992 DA/SA trackers when they become available. I think they are 9-shot and they have the w/ the 22LR/22WMR swappable cylinder mechanisms.

I have two older Taurus 669s (66 with full underlug) made in 1988 and 1992 both 6 shooters. The older one I have since new. I have no issues with either after thousands of rounds. The build quality is every bit as good as a S&W AFAIC and better than some S&Ws I've had. The DA is not as good as a S&W or Ruger but not something you can't work with.

The only problem I see with Taurus is a lot of retailers price them near a S&W or Ruger. The older 669 I bought for 1/2 the price of a S&W Model 19 at the time and its proven to be a better gun than a Model 19 I once had. I would not hesitate to buy a Taurus that fit my need.

Finding too many mixed reviews about the Taurus. Finding nothing but good reviews about the S&W 686. So I ordered the S&W 686 Plus 7 Shot, Stainless Steel. Cost about $250 more but I think it's worth it. At least the resale value will be better for the S&W vs the Taurus if I ever had to sell it.

• Like 1

Maybe, but it might be nice to have two Taurus's for the price of one Smith, say a 4" .357 and a snubbie or a .22LR. The trigger might not be great without work, but they are more durable than most <edited> excellent prissy Smiths, and I am fond of the 686. And, Taurus has a lifetime warranty on the product, but I heard that you have to personally go to South America with your receipt to get it honored. I don't think I will ever have to get a plane ticket, though.