Maksim

Some fun with a chrono

So after getting done with all the wedding planning stuff, needed to go take a half day and go shoot.

Met Wolfy at the range and decided to have some chrono fun. Tested a variety of loads, 22 short, 22lr, 9mm and 40 cal.

We tested them out of a Smith Wesson 617 revolver and the M&P 15-22.

tested some 9mm out of my Smith Wesson 1911 Pro Series.

9mm.

Had a box of 115 grain 9mm Fiocchi ammo. While shooting a few rounds, it definitely felt a little hot. Time for the chronograph.

It averaged right around 1275 fps. yep, you got that right. 147 pf for the gun game guys. By far the hottest commercial 9mm ammo I have shot, hotter than some +p loads.

Winchester white box, federal, ammo all were 124 grain, and came closer to 128 to 130 pf.

22 LR & Short

Tested some 22 short out of a tiny beretta, dont recall the model number, it had a 2 inch barrel. Chrono'ed around 850 fps. Same ammo out of the Smith 617 was 100 fps faster. Also tested 22 short in single shot out of a Smith 15--22 rifle, and got velocities over 1050 fps

22LR

For these, we used the 617 and 15-22.

The ammo we tested was CCI Mini Mags, Federal Game Shock, CCI Blazer, Winchester X, Aguila 22LR ( some hot 1470 fps stuff, and regular), Winchester bulk packs, Federal Gold Medal Match, and Wolf Match.

General observations. Out of all the ammo, the 15-22 seemed to like the CCI Mini Mags the best.

Bulk packs - Winchester was the slowest, performed fine. was around 1100 fps. winchester X was close.

CCI Blazer... hot hot hot. Was high 1200's fps,

I wish I had them all recorded. Here is what I do have recorded and biggest surprises, both positive and negative.

Positive. Wolf Match ammo. 10 shot group.

High Velocity 1044, Low Velocity 1024, Average 1035, Extreme Spread 20 fps, Standard Deviation 7 fps.

Talk about consistent ammo. Based on this, had very high expectations for the only other ammo left, Federal Gold Medal Match.

High Velocity 1060, Low 1024, Average 1039, Extreme Spread 36 fps, Standard Deviation 15 fps

Maks the Winchester bulk pack was the Dynapoint GT 40gr copper washed. The Aguila was the 30gr Supermaximum Hyper Velocity and the Aguila 40 gr Intterceptor (1470 FPS). We also shot the CCI Velocitor. Do you have the results for it?

It was a fun and educational time.

PS I just checked the Wolf is Extra Match. This stuff better be good at $77 a brick. I think I will try the Wolf Match Target $54 a brick.