alec.mc

Removing Rivets on face of saiga ak

I picked up my saiga 762 a few hours ago, it was one of the pre - converted 922r ones from classic arms.

I had already bought the ace skelestock and adapter, But im having some issues installing

I already cut the tang off with my dremel, no problem there.

but now I have these damn rivets on the side face of the reciver that need to come out in order for me to get the adapter into place, and put the screws in.

next, the little " catch " inside the reciver that the pistol grip connects to is in the way, i figure I would just put it on top of the adapter when slide in, but its to wide to fit into that slot, any issues grinding the sides down on the little catch to squeeze in?

next, on one of the rivets, front left side, there is a small spring catch connected to it that runs down the side into the trigger assembly, any advice?

pics of what i mean

6239332140_1097e45a60_b.jpg

6239332734_60aa26396a_b.jpg

6238813027_2f2b82ce2e_b.jpg

6238813623_6bc38edb75_b.jpg

6239334364_bec57251f2_b.jpg

Make sure you support the receiver somehow when you take a punch to the rivet. It can be fairly easy to bend the receiver.

Your best bet is to grind them flush then punch them out. Be careful, and just use a little spray paint to cover it up. Duplicolor 500 Low Gloss Black Engine Enamel is a near perfect match to the factory finish, found at Pep Boys/Auto Zone for $6

Was able to drill them out with little/no damage.

The one spring peice with a long extended straight peice that was connected to one of the rivits obviously fell out, and having a little trouble figuring out how this goes back in, the new internal block adapter is going to be in the way, im not sure how im going to get this to work

ideas?

6239628160_28fca409ec_b.jpg

internal block adapter in place.... how to get ( whatever this spring is ) to work with?

6239635146_27ee20abf5_b.jpg

first of all.. no finish to damage.. you gotta sand all that **** down to get rid of that ugly etched box anyway... then repaint the whole receiver..

I would need to see the rest of the inside of the gun.. but get rid of that stupid spring and get a real pin retainer.. that spring looks incredibly unreliable.

you need this..

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-126/AK47-TAPCO-SAIGA-AXIS/Detail

Meh, I feel grinding will just destroy the finish .

Use a drill and take it slow, just enough to get though the head and then punch it out the rest of the way, even if you go just a tad too far it will just look like a counter sunk hole.

ETA: The spring you are wondering about I have a great idea for you, I just happen to look at your original post and if you look at your last picture, it might help you out, if you remember from what angle you took the picture, at least it looks like it's the same spring. :icon_mrgreen:

Harry

Use a drill and take it slow, just enough to get though the head and then punch it out the rest of the way, even if you go just a tad too far it will just look like a counter sunk hole.

Harry

they are not the normal Saiga pins.. they are like full out rivets... he says in a later post he already got them out.. but what a **** way to retain the entire fire control system..

first of all.. no finish to damage.. you gotta sand all that **** down to get rid of that ugly etched box anyway... then repaint the whole receiver..

I would need to see the rest of the inside of the gun.. but get rid of that stupid spring and get a real pin retainer.. that spring looks incredibly unreliable.

you need this..

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-126/AK47-TAPCO-SAIGA-AXIS/Detail

what is it that this spring in question actually does, the rifle seems to cycle fine and the trigger pull feels fine with it out, just curious to what this does.

and i have even less room now that i put the pistol grip catch bolt back on into the reciver. i also had to grind it down a lil bit in order to fit in place inbetween the new block adapter.

see pic:

6239709158_095cf1917a_b.jpg

ETA: The spring you are wondering about I have a great idea for you, I just happen to look at your original post and if you look at your last picture, it might help you out, if you remember from what angle you took the picture, at least it looks like it's the same spring. :icon_mrgreen:

Harry

i know where it goes, the problem is with all the new modifcations inside with this ace internal block, i no longer have a point in which to hook it up.

i know where it goes, the problem is with all the new modifcations inside with this ace internal block, i no longer have a point in which to hook it up.

Ok, understand, watching this thread being I just might pick up one of these and looking to learn a thing or 2 from what your going through. :icon_mrgreen:

Harry

Ok, understand, watching this thread being I just might pick up one of these and looking to learn a thing or 2 from what your going through. :icon_mrgreen:

Harry

Yeh, it's sort of frustrating. All this work just to change the stock !

it will be sweet though.

cool calm and collected.

just gotta figure this out

Yeh, it's sort of frustrating. All this work just to change the stock !

it will be sweet though.

cool calm and collected.

just gotta figure this out

Just take your time, use the knowledge of the folks here and you will be fine, and when it's all said and done, you can turn around and say, I did all the work and I now know the gun inside and out.

There is a certain amount of satisfaction to doing your own work, and think of the money you save that will buy more ammo.

Harry

what is it that this spring in question actually does, the rifle seems to cycle fine and the trigger pull feels fine with it out, just curious to what this does.

and i have even less room now that i put the pistol grip catch bolt back on into the reciver. i also had to grind it down a lil bit in order to fit in place inbetween the new block adapter.

see pic:

6239709158_095cf1917a_b.jpg

there are grooves on the axis pins (that hold your fire control group in..

they are using that silly spring just shoved on the tip of that rivet to hold ALL of that together..

if that thing pops off the tip.. the spring will fall out.. and the axis pins will walk..

gun will stop working..

the part I directed you to will resolve said issue.. with all due respect.. that is a really lame way to do that.. and it looks incredibly unreliable (think long term) I would look over the rest of the moving parts for any other "shortcuts"..

there are grooves on the axis pins (that hold your fire control group in..

they are using that silly spring just shoved on the tip of that rivet to hold ALL of that together..

if that thing pops off the tip.. the spring will fall out.. and the axis pins will walk..

gun will stop working..

the part I directed you to will resolve said issue.. with all due respect.. that is a really lame way to do that.. and it looks incredibly unreliable (think long term) I would look over the rest of the moving parts for any other "shortcuts"..

ahh, i see what your getting at here.... ie: this ' spring ' holds in the pin that holds my trigger in place right? ( learned this the hardway when that pin fell out )

edit, and i did not do this conversion... like i said, it was preconverted buy from classicarms.us

oh well... live and learn

ahh, i see what your getting at here.... ie: this ' spring ' holds in the pin that holds my trigger in place right? ( learned this the hardway when that pin fell out )

edit, and i did not do this conversion... like i said, it was preconverted buy from classicarms.us

oh well... live and learn

yeah man.. live and learn.. in fact I would be thankful you did all this... I would rather notice something like this now (and fix it).. than in the middle of a day at the range.. to just hang that spring on the end of the rivet like that seems so haphazard..

all wrapped up, thanks for the tips and advice boys, looks much better with the new shoulder stock.

Gonna head to the range to shoot her for the first time in the morning,... now, to replace that goofy front hand gaurd.

6239349251_4c0f5f938f_b.jpg

where did you get an AK47 axis pin retainer at midnight.. :o

Lol, I knew that was coming , it's on order, but as a temp solution I was able to get the spring in and securely hold the axis pins in nice and solid.

Just ran 200 rounds or so through it with zero malfunctions,... Though it does shoot about 2-3" low

Lol, I knew that was coming , it's on order, but as a temp solution I was able to get the spring in and securely hold the axis pins in nice and solid.

Just ran 200 rounds or so through it with zero malfunctions,... Though it does shoot about 2-3" low

My Saiga just arrived at FFL per UPS. Where did you get the conversion kit ?

My Saiga just arrived at FFL per UPS. Where did you get the conversion kit ?

arms and ammo had a lot of decent Saiga stuff in stock and if you get out to the winslow area you can actually go in and check it out...

if that is not convenient.. I have had great luck with carolina shooter supply.. when checking out use the code CSS to get a %5 discount..

Though it does shoot about 2-3" low

the sights do adjust... ;)

• Like 1

arms and ammo had a lot of decent Saiga stuff in stock and if you get out to the winslow area you can actually go in and check it out...

if that is not convenient.. I have had great luck with carolina shooter supply.. when checking out use the code CSS to get a %5 discount..

the sights do adjust... ;)

Ugg...missed the %5 discount. I ordered the Saiga for Carolinashootersupply. Thanks for the heads up. Will use the code when ordering conversion kit.