BCeagle

Avoid Lifetime Fitness

My wife just got back from the free trial in Florham Park and she noticed a sign on the door "Guns prohibited on premises" or something similar. I think she told me because she knew I would tell them to drop dead when they asked her if she was interested in renewing but I really believe in not patronizing places that have signs like this.

Plus, is it really neccessary in NJ??

My wife just got back from the free trial in Florham Park and she noticed a sign on the door "Guns prohibited on premises" or something similar. I think she told me because she knew I would tell them to drop dead when they asked her if she was interested in renewing but I really believe in not patronizing places that have signs like this.

I'm not as inclined to boycott an establishment in NJ with such a sign simply because the signs are really just asking people to not break the law. But, I can see where you're coming from in objecting to the idea itself.

Seriously?

I can agree with your premise, but would you really want to carry into a gym anyway (if you could)? Those places are rife with theft - lockers being broken into, cars being broken into. Where are you going to put it that's secure?

I agree with the OP on this especially in a state where you don't have shall issue. Now in other states it may sway me decision on the type of establishment but I would rather spend my money in a place that feels they do not need to point out they don't support the 2A.

Now as far as the comments on where to keep it when you go to the gym, well thats something you have to think about but if your for carry and do when you live in a free state, why would you not when your going to the gym? Is there a lower chance of something happening because your going to the gym??

I just know when I am out of state and I am going someplace I have a way to secure my weapon if I need to at all times, remember you have to think like someone who is not from the PR of NJ.

Harry

I'm not as inclined to boycott an establishment in NJ with such a sign simply because the signs are really just asking people to not break the law. But, I can see where you're coming from in objecting to the idea itself.

Really? You think that is what they are doing? Asking people to not break the law? You didn't say "sarcasm off" so I'm assuming you're serious.

In free states, anti-gun people will put signs up saying "firearms prohibited". They aren't taking the law into their own hands and asking people "not to break the law", they are just anti-gun and don't want to allow people who can legally carry, to carry on their property. It is their right. Saw it in Flagstaff, AZ quite a bit.

In free states, anti-gun people will put signs up saying "firearms prohibited". They aren't taking the law into their own hands and asking people "not to break the law", they are just anti-gun and don't want to allow people who can legally carry, to carry on their property. It is their right. Saw it in Flagstaff, AZ quite a bit.

It was observed at a Florham Park, NJ location and everyone on this board knows the state of CCW in NJ all too well. If it's Lifetime policy to post such notice even in states where the government does not go out of its way to block lawful carry of a firearm, that's a different story and I would consider that worthy of a boycott [if it's the case]. Save the righteous indignation for something else. We're on the same side.

That sign is only for the 1000 or so actual NJ CCW permit holders in the state. You know the few, the proud, the privileged.... not to mention well connected.

edit: not including armed guard service permits, as they can only carry while working or going to or from work.

As much as i would like to ridicule for posting such a sign in new jersey, i really would like to know why they would post such a thing. I'm just imagining something like Richards Simmons on a treamill with a 6 shooter on his hip.

Usually these things happen after something else has happened. Probably some off duty cop was observed with an off duty piece In the locker room and it freaked someone out.

I think it would be interesting to politely ask what brought it about.

I'm just imagining something like Richards Simmons on a treamill with a 6 shooter on his hip.

I can't, actually I don't want to picture anything with Richard Simmons in it but if anything I would think it would be a single shot Derringer. :)

Harry

Just got back from PA for the weekend and wanted to folloe up. The gym is in a really nice safe area and is very upscale $100+/month.

Also found out this is their NATIONAL policy. There was a post on a Texas gun board about the same issue. This makes it much worse to me.

I agree if you are carrying to a gym you bed to worry about theft, but you can bring a padlock, you can be at a nice gym and still have to walk through a dark parking lot. And if they do this on shall issue states they are impinging on a common right. There is no med to support someone that doesn't support me. (if they are worried about patrons shooting each other, a sign won't work

• Like 1