Sign in to follow this  
McMaster

9th Company / 9 pota

I'm sure some of you guys have seen 9th Company but I figured some of you haven't. If you are an AK enthusiast it's a must see. It's a Belarusian movie with subtitles so I love it even more! It's based on a company of Russian soldiers who fought in Afghanistan at the end of the Russo-Afghani war in 1988 and 1989. The movie is chock full of AK74's, AKS's, Dragunov SVD's, PKM's, RPK's, a couple of NSV's and even a GSH-30 for good measure. I've seen the movie like 4 times over the past couple of years. I just watched it again tonight and figured I post this for you guys who haven't seen it. The director is a Russian guy named Fyodor Bondarchuk, who also has a role in the movie. Bondarchuk stole a lot from our own Hollywood Vietnam movies... and as much as I like 9th Company it's nowhere near as good as Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. I mean... that's a lot to ask... Kubrick was a master. But Bondarchuk definitely stole from FMJ. The main thing he stole from Kubrick was the concept of the first half of the movie being basic training and the second half being their actual deployment in Afghanistan. Some parts of the movie are melodramatic and it falls short in a few areas. But where it really packs a punch is in it's weaponry. Again... if you love AK's this is it! It gets no better than this! It's a must see for anyone who visits the AK variant page of this forum. I LOVE THIS FILM... regardless of its shortcomings.

And oh... Bondarchuk also stole a little bit of Sheen's breakdown/crying scene from Oliver Stones Platoon. After all... Afghanistan is considered Russia's Vietnam... so it made sense that the director stole from our Vietnam classics. I really didn't mind though.

If any of you guys have Netflix streaming to your PS3's or whatever system you use.... it's on Netflix streaming. 9th Company.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417397/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yADvlhkseTE

ENJOY!

It is a really really really good movie. Great that it is on Netflix.

+1

Intense movie.

poor kids. They went through hell there ( same as new kids are going through now) and

the kraziest thing is that half of them ended up fighting each other when soviet union broke up....

poor kids. They went through hell there ( same as new kids are going through now)

To your point... The thing that gets you is... that one part of the movie during basic training, when they are in that class room being instructed on Afghani/Islamic culture, the soldiers are bored and uninterested in what the officer is trying to teach them. The officer turns to one of the soldiers and says, "Am I boring you?"... "In the entire history of the world no one has ever managed to conquer Afghanistan. No One... Never!" Like.... Pay ATTENTION SON!

Kind of makes ya think though... right?

"He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious" Fellas.... Sun Tzu wrote that 600 years before Christ. 600 YEARS! "The Art of War" is an amazing read. It's all in there... everything you need to know about why some conflicts are won and why others are not!