zoid

What's it like going from a Lee Pro 1000 to Something Better

Not that I'm in the position to upgrade at the moment, but after reloading for about a year now

I think I'm in it for the long haul. The Lee Pro 1000 is a decent press. Yes, it can be a PIA

in certain areas, but when the quirks are worked out and you learn how to work it can crank out

a decent amount of round in an hour.

My main reason for wanting to upgrade though would be to smooth out the process and not deal with

any "quirks". IE, tipped primers, primer system not feeding, broken chains, etc.

I'm just wondering for those of you who started with a Lee or currently own a Lee and upgraded

to say a Hornady, RCBS, or one of the better progressive presses: How much easier, smoother, more

efficient did reloading become? Can you crank out more rounds in an hour? Are there other benefits?

I'm just trying to assess how much of the issues I'm having is from myself/user error or the

press itself and how much benefit there is in upgrading. Thanks.

If you ever do decide to upgrade, I am still thinking about selling my Dillon Square deal setup to move up to a Dillon 650 so if you would be interested, do a search under my name in the marketplace and it should pop up.

M

Thanks. If I do upgrade I would not mind buying used. To me it makes no difference after a decent cleaning.

Most reloading equipment (even the Lee) is super durable.

You can't go wrong with a Dillon with the warranty they have, probably the best in the industry I have seen and the main reason I chose to go with the Dillon 650 myself over the Hornady L-n-L_AP, well that and I know more people with the Dillon so I have more friends than can help me learn.

I started doing everything on a Rock Chucker. Not the most time efective way but great for learning on. I still do my rifle on it because there are a lot more tedious steps for accurate rifle rounds than pistol. I upgraded to a couple of Square Deals, one for large and one for small pistol. Great little machines and in my opinion the best for cranking out pistol rounds. If starting fresh the cost of SDB dies vs others is almost a wash for getting everyting you need for a caliber conversion.