smashclash

Hello from Gloucester Township

I'm originally from Vineland and have had my FID since 2002. I used to hunt in high school so I own a pair of shotguns (Ithica 12 gauge pump, and a single shot 20 gauge). and a (Lyman) muzzle loader. (Well technically my father owns them because it was before I had my FID but they'll be in my name by the end of the weekend). I moved to Gloucester Township about 4.5 yrs ago. I applied for a change of address card on August 17th, 2011 and received a call on November 8th, 2011 that the ID card was finally ready for pick up. I never called to check on it but when I had dropped off the forms they told me it would be 5 weeks. Obviously it was more time than that. FWIW, they never contacted any of my references and the only forms I had to fill out were the standard ones. I think the cost was $18 and had to be a money order.

Anyway, I also applied for a handgun permit and have that as well. My father used to be a gun collector (mostly vintage shotguns) and at one time had a Federal License. I told him how I was interested in purchasing a handgun and he has offered to sell me his S&W Model 19 revolver. It has a 4" barrel and is in mint condition. He bought it new in 1986 (I'm pretty sure of the year) for a whopping $150. I remember seeing the receipt inside the case with the gun when I looked at it several months ago. Anyway, he is willing to sell it to me at a family discount of $350. My dad takes excellent care of all of his guns so I have no doubts it's in great working order. The gun hasn't been fired in well over 20 years I'm sure. I planned on taking it to a range to get my feet wet with it. Then it will rest in my house as a home defense security measure.

A couple of questions:

-I did some researching and I see a lot of people putting S&W Model 19-X, where X represents a number. I originally thought the X would be for the barrel length but it seems that's not the case. Perhaps it's the generation number? Wikipedia lists a lot of engineering changes over the years. Can someone clarify what the x stands for?

-What type of ammo would you suggest I load for home defense. Please keep in mind that I live in a townhome (end unit). So I share a wall with a neighbor. Obviously I need to be conscience of penetration issues.

-Lastly, thoughts on my choice of gun?

Thanks everyone and look forward to being a part of the community! :)

A couple of questions:

-I did some researching and I see a lot of people putting S&W Model 19-X, where X represents a number. I originally thought the X would be for the barrel length but it seems that's not the case. Perhaps it's the generation number? Wikipedia lists a lot of engineering changes over the years. Can someone clarify what the x stands for?

The - is the an engineering change so you are correct that it's a generation number.

-What type of ammo would you suggest I load for home defense. Please keep in mind that I live in a townhome (end unit). So I share a wall with a neighbor. Obviously I need to be conscience of penetration issues.

I'm not a structural engineer, but if you are living in a recent townhome, you should have a concrete firewall between units. If you are using your Model 19 for home defense, and .38 special rounds, I wouldn't worry much about penetration into the next dwelling. Take a look in your attic. You should see a concrete or cinderblock wall seperating your house from your neighbor's.

I would do .38 Caliber hollow points from any reputable manufacturer. IMHO, I would stay away from the .357 cartridges. You'll get more control out of .38 and a .357 will be LOUD inside without hearing protection.

-Lastly, thoughts on my choice of gun?

Your choice is just fine. I would not feel under gunned with a Model 19. The best gun for you is the one you are most comfortable using.

Welcome to the forum. Now go to nj2as.org and join the New Jersey Second Amendment Society, we need your help because not every town is as good about permits as Gloucester Township.

I'm not a structural engineer, but if you are living in a recent townhome, you should have a concrete firewall between units. If you are using your Model 19 for home defense, and .38 special rounds, I wouldn't worry much about penetration into the next dwelling. Take a look in your attic. You should see a concrete or cinderblock wall seperating your house from your neighbor's.

I have seen fire blocking material used, but Concrete, Concrete Block, or pured concrete and or brick I have not see ans a requirement. I do know the one place I helped build it was a something like a 60'X110' Deli in Bayonne, we took the roof off the single story building, and we added 2 more floors that were to have 4 apartments. We had normal nominal walls between each unit, however in the attic we did need a fire blocking that was no more that something to close the space between one side and the other. I don;t remember if it required the yellow rock you will see on some building in there, but we have to put that on the exterior of the structure. Also now that I think about it, I can't remember if the common walls needed double rock or not, it' been a long time since I GC'd a job.

Welcome!

In regards to penetration issues, you should know that any round capable of stopping a threat inside your home will go into your neighbor's home. The best way to keep your neighbors safe is to make a plan that involves you holing up somewhere with the only potential direction that you will be shooting in, is a "safe" direction. Personally, I keep my wife's HD revolver loaded with Corbon Pow'rball .38 +P.

I decided to go skeet shooting on Saturday in Millville (at the WMA area) and stopped at Butch's Gun World in Vineland on the way. There I picked up some ammo for skeet and the Model 19. I bought a box of 38 special Remington Target rounds, Independence .357 rounds, and Hornady Critical Defense 38 special ammo for home protection.

Yesterday I picked up the revolver and it's safe at home now. :) I think I'm going shooting on 11/27 at SJSC to shoot it (it will be my first handgun shooting experience). Very excited.