vladtepes

Ugh... Time for another ar15... Simple question regarding needed parts..

I have the Spikes 14.5" with the Dynacomp and I love it, but the Dynacomp does nothing to hide the flash. Heres a vid of me shooting mine at night (first 3 rds are silver bear, the rest are Federal xm193)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZQtWpzy7VI

thanks..

what rail system would fit these?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5050MLSDC&name=Spikes+Tactical+14.5%22+Lightweight+5.56%2f.223+DynaComp+Upper+Receiver&groupid=368

Well it is a 14.5, so the muzzle device is welded. There are only a couple rail systems that will fit over the front sight without removing it. At least if you want a free float rail system.

If not, they sell rail segments for the moe handguard.

This is more of a retailer thing, and not a cut-in-stone answer... but my assumption why they are more expensive when they do not have the standard FSB is because the handguard is replaced with rail systems (free-floated or not, most of the time free-floated). Rail systems, notably free-floated ones, tend to be a bit more pricey across the board, and add to the overall expense of the upper. There is also the factor of the gas block, though while not crazy expensive, may add a bit more to the overall cost as well.

upper ordered..

if I wanted to I could shave the front sight/gas block and replace with a longer rail system? and a BUIS?

thanks for all the help.. for now I just went with the spike unit..

You'd be limited in choices depending on how much work you were willing to go through. If you cna get a barrel nut over the muzzle device and shaved down front sight, you could install almost anything. If you can't, you are limited to options that mount on a stock AR barrel nut. One of the more affordable is this one -> http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2563 With that, you'd take the dremel to the front sight tower, clamp the heat sink/barrel nut thingie to your barrel nut, slide the tube over and clamp it down.

JSE Surplus has varmint uppers with 16" bull barrels complete with BCG and charging handle for 415.00. Model 1 sales has a nicer set based of an ER Shaw with a stainless 16" (no comp varmint) barrel for 495 with BCG and handle. Or go on AR15.com and see if someone has some nice used stuff.