Babaganoosh

Hornady LNL First Caliber Swap

So I have made approx 10k rounds of 9mm on my LNL. Decided to make some .45.

First I had to hunt around and find all the pieces I would need to do the swap. I have a casefeeder so some of those parts needed to be swapped as well. After spending 15 minutes finding everything I got to business.

First I popped out all the dies. This was easy due to the quick change system. The best part is that with the quick change bushings all of your die settings remain the same.

I popped out the powder measure and set it aside.

I took all the .45 dies and shellplate and cleaned them with denatured alcohol. Kind of a pita but you have to remove the preservative from the dies. Set those aside to dry while I swapped out the casefeeder plate, drop tube and drop tube funnel. Easy

Then I swapped out the small primer stuff with the large primer gear. Very easy to do

Installed shellplate and swapped V-blocks. Easy

Now came the hardest part. Well, not really hard but time consuming. Setting up the dies. Took me about an hour start to finish to get all the dies and powder drop dialed in. The only thing I had to do with the powder drop is unscrew it out of the press two turns. Then just adjust the powder. This made me think about getting a few different powder measure inserts so I can just swap them out and not have to adjust the powder when I switch calibers or major and minor loads within the same caliber. However once these settings are dialed in you don't have to adjust them due to the quick change bushings. This is probably the number one reason I went with the LNL over the Dillon.

I gotta say that the whole changeover went a lot smoother than I thought it would. I think if I wanted to change back over to 9mm I could do it in about 10-15 minutes and be loading 9mm in 20 minutes flat.

Loaded some 230gr 45 with 4.6gr of titegroup. Took my initial 10 test rounds out back and fired them off. I hit 10 out of 10 on my 12" steel plates at approx 15 yards with a gun I almost never shoot. Recoil didn't feel bad at all. Will chrono them next time I get some free time.

That sounds good. I still have to set mine up. My plans are to load the same and get some seperate powder measures. Just easier imo.

I just ordered some ammo cans to store reloads after I set them up. What did you store the 10k rounds in?

That sounds good. I still have to set mine up. My plans are to load the same and get some seperate powder measures. Just easier imo.

I just ordered some ammo cans to store reloads after I set them up. What did you store the 10k rounds in?

I like only using 1 powder measure, that way I can be sure of what power is in it.

The berms at CJ and OBRPC!

Since it was summertime the rounds didn't last long. I'd make approx 1000 and store them in Berrys 100 round cases. They are nice since they are clear and you can see right into them. They also stack. Only a few bucks each.

Ammo cans will work great if you plan on stocking up a few thousand.

I like to keep them in the 100 round cases and then dump them into a larger container for matches. It's easier to grab them out of a container between stages then it is to get them from 100 round boxes.

However I do like to keep them in the 100 round containers so they are separated into batches. That way if you have a problem you can isolate them. I was messing around with the powder measure once. I took the whole unit apart, cleaned it and put it back together. I forgot to tighten down one screw and had a run of ammo with a large variance in powder. Once I investigated I was able to remove the offending ammo and put it in a "practice" container. If I had dumped it into an ammo can that entire can would have been fubared.

You will figure out what works for you but that's my suggestion.

I usually store my stuff and label all my stuff so I know what stuff is. I also check my powder charge to be sure how many gn's is actually going in. Then I load like a madman.

I like the idea of the cans for simple stuff. I label a lot of stuff so it's no biggy. I would load 2k of my recipe if I had the materials.

I am doing the same today, switching from 9 to 45 for the first time. Sprayed and wiped down all of the dies with hornady one shot.

Are you using the PTX expander? That is my current setup. I also went with the RCBS lockout die - big win there, you will be happy. I just picked up the powder measure micrometer, should help me dial in the change in loads pretty quickly.

Which Dillon were you looking at?

The 650. I would consider that the equivalent to the LNL. Don't get me wrong, both are great machines, I would go with either in a heartbeat. I just really liked the quick change die bushings.

For instance I wet tumble my brass. All I do is pop out all the dies with a quarter turn twist, put them in the die box and then pop in my universal decapper and go to town. When I want to start loading I just remove the decapper and pop all the dies back in. A quick cleaning of the case feeder hopper and I am back loading. The dies keep all their settings since they are locked into the bushings all the time.

I am doing the same today, switching from 9 to 45 for the first time. Sprayed and wiped down all of the dies with hornady one shot.

Are you using the PTX expander? That is my current setup. I also went with the RCBS lockout die - big win there, you will be happy. I just picked up the powder measure micrometer, should help me dial in the change in loads pretty quickly.

I had typed up a good response, hit a key with my hand it it's all gone. I will be going with your setup soon.

Right now I

deprime/resize

expand

powder

seat

crimp

The only thing you might have to adjust is your powder measure to accommodate the change in cartridge length of the 45. I had to unscrew mine 2 turns. You want to insert to pivot to near the top of the cutout but not all the way. Leave a small gap.

I wonder if it's easier/harder than the Lee Pro 1000. From what you wrote it

sounds just about the same. Takes me about 10-15 min to swap calibers from

9 to 45 or vice versa. I bought the entire carrier assembly for 45 which

makes the switch much faster.