TJM

Experience with Sig X-Change kit?

Just loving my Sig 226 Extreme in 9mm. Managed to put about 1000 rounds through her in a week and a half and just love it. Of course, with one more permit begging to be used....thinking of next addition to the family. I have a 22LR (Hi-Standard Sport King) and have been thinking about purchasing the Sig 220 Classic 22LR with the x-change kit that will also allow me to shoot both 22 and .45 caliber. Anyone have experience with that kit vs just buying the .45 and have any insight/experience? Given I have an older .22LR, if I were just to buy one gun, it'd be a .45. Use will be primarily HD, but occasional range use. Trying to see if the capability of a 'modern' 22 to go along with my 'seasoned' 22 would be worth it - but want to make sure I'll have the same performance, feel etc when using it as a .45 than if I just bought a .45 outright.

Thanks for your time.

if you are going that route. buy the p220 classic 22 and get the 45 upper later. it'll work out cheaper in the long run. i had gone that route with my p229. originally i got he classic 22 and later i got the 357 sig slide. i didnt like a few things about the 22lr slide.

first, it was picky on ammo. only high velocity stuff would work well and even that would still have issues.

second, and more importantly, was that it needed to be oiled just right. and when it started to get dirty it would jam up again.

third, there was always a worry in the back of my head about two different slides wearing down the frame differently causing looseness. probably doesnt happen, but i couldnt stop but think that it could eventually happen.

ultimately i sold it and got a browning buckmark. with you already having a 22lr i'd probably not want the one for the sig personally. ultimately, i feel that any conversion kits, where the entire slide has to move, has the potential to cause issues.

so if you are going to get a brand new p220 for $700+, a classic 22 will run you $500 or so and the new upper you can find for $299 new all day, if you decide to sell the .22lr later, you wont lose money for $100 difference

I was wondering the same thing actually. Was considering getting the 220 classic 22 then

later get the 45 slide. I want a 220 and would not mind another 22lr. My only concern was

I thought the lower on the Classic 22 was different from the original 220, but from what I've

read it's the exact same thing.

Bry@n,

Do you know for the 220 if the frame for the regular model and X-change kit is the same? I know for 229 it's not.

If I were to buy a 220 Carry slide for the X-change kit, will it fit on the frame of my 220 Super Match?

thanks!

- Daniel

Daniel,

From what I can tell, the Super Match uses a regular p220 fram, it's just SA and has some nice features etc.. So I would see no reason why it wouldn't work. My wife took my 220 carry, so if we meet up, you can see if it will fit aand cycle. If you order the x-change kit, just be careful with the new slide. Sometimes they need to be stoned, but I am sure you can take care of it.

The best thing about the p220's is that the carry model uses the same frame as the regular model. So you can get the full size upper and the carry slide if you wish to carry the gun.

Where can you get the 220 carry slide? I've only seen them rarely on gunbroker.

OK. I know there's no difference if you get the non X-change pistol. but on TGS for the 229 is says the X-change kit slide won't work with regular framed 229. I was just wondering if that's the case with the 220. I am interested in getting the Xchange kit 220 carry slide and use it on the SuperMatch frame :)

Daniel,

From what I can tell, the Super Match uses a regular p220 fram, it's just SA and has some nice features etc.. So I would see no reason why it wouldn't work. My wife took my 220 carry, so if we meet up, you can see if it will fit aand cycle. If you order the x-change kit, just be careful with the new slide. Sometimes they need to be stoned, but I am sure you can take care of it.

Sig has discontinued the 9mm frame in the p229 platform. They are now only using the 40 frame and redesigned the 9mm slide for the 40 frame. They also changed the mags so have the bullets feed reliably in the 40 frame.