woodentoe

Left-Hand And Right Eye Dominant

I'm the opposite - right handed, left eye dom. I shoot handguns right handed with the the sights lined up with my left eye. I shoot long guns left handed (usually) - it was a bit awkward at first, but after a bit of practice it's not so bad. A nice side benefit is that you end up being fairly ambidextrous with firearms.

I'm a lefty predominantly. Though I play guitar right handed. Is it awkward to sight with your right eye while shooting lefty? What do they do in the service? On a semi auto or full auto you couldn't shoot lefty on a right handed rifle. The hot brass would hit you. I'm sure the forces aren't providing lefty small arms for their riflemen.

yes its beaten to death on every shotgun forum but when its your issue its exstreamly important.my wife is cross eye dominent when she closes one eye and keeps it shut she breaks a lot of birds but this is unatural she has two chices 1 shoot lefty or smear chapstik on the left lens both are a pita. cross over stocks are going to cost a lot and then how can you ever sell it.some day someone will find a quick fix and solve this problem a lot of people try clay shooting and loose interest due to low scores nor realizing the cross eye dominance

Im cross eye dominant as well, I blame my poor shooting on that ;) lol

Im right handed, but left eye dominant- I couldn't even close just my left eye if I wanted to... just cant do it.

I hold hand guns as a right handed shooter, i just have to keep my arms positioned a little to the left to line up the sights, When I shoot long guns I hold it as a lefty.

im a lefty ive shot mainly r/h shotguns in every type of action no problems in a semi like an 1100 I dont like the l/h guns they feel strange if you want to know why I dont shoot with out glasses shoot a 1100 at night and watch the fire ball roll out of the action 2 inches off your nose every round.at a bench I can work a r/h bolt faster than a righty the only gun I couldnt do any thing with was a kel tec sub 2000 the concusion knocked my glasses off in the 40 cal gun

I don't have this specific issue, as I'm right handed and right-eye dominant, but I came to realize that the weakest part of my shooting (at least with rifles) was shooting from my "support" side. So, to remedy, whenever I am at the range with my rifles, I only shoot lefty because it's only through practice that I'll get any better. It's a bit awkward, but it becomes fairly second-nature after some time.

As for brass hitting you in the face if you shoot lefty with a right-handed model, it's often not the case with most firearms.

Im a left eye dominant right hander I still shoot pistol righty because I learned to draw and fire righty and i cant seem to handle a pistol comfortablely left handed but I can shoot a pistol left handed pretty well if I have to but slow at best. Right handed I just tilt my head a little further to the right and use my left eye it takes a little practice but it works. I learned to shoot rifle lefty with a good accurate pellet rifle in the back yard you can shoot all day long for pennys and you dont disturb the neighbors. I used a Gamo Big Cat 1200 it the same weight and feel of a real rifle it has a 2 stage trigger that helps alot and its extreamly accurate. I dont know if I could even shoot a rifle right handed anymore.

I'm another right hand/left eye dude. It's a pain, but if I'm shooting a long gun (particularly something with a scope), I'll just tape over the left eye with something and use my right that way. Otherwise I shoot left eye/righty.

I am left hand/right eye dominant. It works out well for me. I shoot pistols lefty (bjt with my left eye closed), and I think I can work a left side slide release/stop with my index finger faster than most righty's can with their thumbs. For rifles, I simply bit the bullet and learned to shoot righty on long guns. It's at the point where shooting a rifle lefty now is awkward.

wow, didn't realize there were so many people that are cross eyed dominant, didn't think it was as common as it seems to be.

This gets me wondering, for you that shoot gun games (USPSA, Steel, IDPA), do you shoot with 1 eye open or both?

I know Raz-o posed the best and most easily understood way to practice shooting with both eyes, I'll try and find that and post it if I do. I'm not at that point that I'll use it shooting USPSA or Steel, well maybe just the Jersey Blaster stage but need a lot more practice, it's odd learning something new like that but understand the benefits.

This is a copy and paste from something I saved, I hope I don't have it wrong, but credit should go to Raz-o for this:

Something to try, you don't even need to go to the range to do it, just remember to practice safety properly while dry firing (NO AMMO in or around anything you are practicing with PERIOD). Basically pick up our pistol and get a decent grip with both hands on it like you would to shoot and get your natural point of aim on some object or target. A post it with a black circle on it or similar should be sufficient. Something small. Now, bring the gun straight back into your chest and hold it there. Push it out to your natural point of aim with both eyes open a couple times to get a feel down for it. Now repeat with only your dominant eye open being sure to get the sights lined up well, and to get the image of the right sight picture set in your head. Now go back to doing it both eyes open, and when you do, try to keep your mind focused on the correct image of your sights. Start doing all this in slow motion. Do a few one want, alternate, and repeat. Anytime it feels like you are making progress, do a presentation with both eyes open and close your non dominant eye to check if you are getting it right. As you start getting better, speed it up. You are basically trying to teach your brain to focus on the correct image and that your dominant eye is leading the show with authority when you are shooting pistol.