Sign in to follow this  
Pizza Bob

If You Have A S&w 686/586 And...

...a vernier caliper, could you do me a favor and measure the height of the front sight blade? That would be from the top of the sight base to the top of the blade. Just list the height (.000") in your reply. Also list if it is a 4" or 6" barrel - I don't think it makes a difference, but just in case. Thanks!

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Will measure 686 6" when I get home from work.

Ditto

Did you guys forget me??

Thanks Zardoz.

Thinking of getting a FO front sight for my 646. I wanted to know if the 646 and 686 use the same height front sights. Mine comes in at .270" and Zardoz's at .278". The Dawson FO for the 686 is listed at .230" which has me somewhat concerned as I don't have a lot of downward adjustment left on my rear sight and not sure how much of a difference .040" will make, but that seems substantial.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Did you guys forget me??

DOH

Yes I forgot. I just put a post-it on my forehead.

Will get measurement tonight.

I have a 6" 2010 model. The front sight is a red blade type.

It is recessed on all sides into the top of the barrel and is held in with a pin. There is no real reference surface to measure from to get the total height of the blade.

The exposed portion of the blade measures .232 from top to where the blade enters the barrel. Measuring to the pin is ~.34

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but that's what it measured.

Edited by PeteF

Well, one of them is about .210 or so, that one has a ramp sight with the red plastic insert. This front site would need to be milled-off to be changed. This is a 6" 686.

The other is .160 or so, but I believe that one is called a partridge site and looks removeable. This is a 8 3/8 686.

Hope this helps you.

Did you guys forget me??

Thanks Zardoz.

Thinking of getting a FO front sight for my 646. I wanted to know if the 646 and 686 use the same height front sights. Mine comes in at .270" and Zardoz's at .278". The Dawson FO for the 686 is listed at .230" which has me somewhat concerned as I don't have a lot of downward adjustment left on my rear sight and not sure how much of a difference .040" will make, but that seems substantial.

Glad I could help. After hearing how much difference there was I remeasured and found the correct measurement should be .272. There was a small adjustment screw on the caliper that forced an angled measurement. The .272 measurement is taken from the top of the sight base to the uppermost portion of the ramp. BTW, it's a 686-6 with a 4" barrel (7 shot).