Sign in to follow this  
spacemanvic

PA resident wants to buy handgun located in NJ how do I do it?

Hello again from PA!

I have a cousin who wants to sell me a pistol (it's actually the very first pistol I ever shot over 20 years ago at Rays Sporting Goods - so it has sentimental value for me).

I live 6 hours away in PA, he lives in NJ. My local FFL in PA will only accept transfers from another FFL.

So, I need to find an FFL in the Basking Ridge area who offers this service and will mail the handgun to my local FFL in PA. How much does something like this cost?

Did you post this on PAFOA too? Haha.

He is going to have to find an FFL in his area to ship the pistol. He basically pays the FFL to ship it to your FFL, then you pick it up at your FFL, do the paperwork, and then you get it.

I have never had an FFL ship anything, but I am going to guess it can be anywhere from $15-30 since I believe pistols must be overnighted.

He is going to have to find an FFL in his area to ship the pistol. He basically pays the FFL to ship it to your FFL, then you pick it up at your FFL, do the paperwork, and then you get it.

I have never had an FFL ship anything, but I am going to guess it can be anywhere from $15-30 since I believe pistols must be overnighted.

Just Air, does not need to be overnight.

Or you both meet halfway...at a FFL in PA.

(I know someone will correct me if i'm wrong....but I'm pretty sure this is perfectly legal.)

Yes, a NJ resident can drive the pistol to a PA FFL and they will transfer it to the PA resident.

I was going to suggest that but since they are 6 hours apart, I doubt they would be doing that.

Does that mean a PA resident can drive to a NJ FFL and sell a handgun to me there? That's great news if so!

Yes

The only caveat it that upon entering the Glorious Peoples Republik of New Jerseystan, the PA seller should go DIRECTLY to the NJ FFL's premises

No WaWa or MickeyD stops :fuckyou:

Yup, that thread devolved into a fight over legalities etc.

Anyway, lined up a NJ FFL who can do it, now squaring things away with my local PA FFL. Cousin will be gone on business for 4 weeks, so now I have to wait for him to get back to NJ and for him to call me in PA to get the ball rolling.

Yup, that thread devolved into a fight over legalities etc.

Anyway, lined up a NJ FFL who can do it, now squaring things away with my local PA FFL. Cousin will be gone on business for 4 weeks, so now I have to wait for him to get back to NJ and for him to call me in PA to get the ball rolling.

Yeah, unfortunately that could have been an easy thread but then all these PA guys just got off track.

It's basically the same as any other out-of-state pistol buy. Whether you were buying a pistol from a NJ or VA or OH resident, I think it is all the same...either they ship it to your FFL or they drive it to your FFL. But once you say 'NJ', all PA guys get their panties in a twist!

Yeah, unfortunately that could have been an easy thread but then all these PA guys just got off track.

It's basically the same as any other out-of-state pistol buy. Whether you were buying a pistol from a NJ or VA or OH resident, I think it is all the same...either they ship it to your FFL or they drive it to your FFL. But once you say 'NJ', all PA guys get their panties in a twist!

:no:

Whats funny is, we get home from NJ and wife and I exchange gifts. She got me a shotgun. With the money I was going to use to get the pistol. Im supposed to pick it up tomorrow.

So now I have to contact my cousin and tell him Ill be taking a wee bit longer to send the $$$. Which I dont think will be a hassle as he has it set aside for me in the first place.

All this after Ive been 1911 lusting all weekend....

Whats funny is, we get home from NJ and wife and I exchange gifts. She got me a shotgun. With the money I was going to use to get the pistol. Im supposed to pick it up tomorrow.

So now I have to contact my cousin and tell him Ill be taking a wee bit longer to send the $$$. Which I dont think will be a hassle as he has it set aside for me in the first place.

All this after Ive been 1911 lusting all weekend....

Ahhh, the joys of being divorced ... :shout: