RyDog164

My first gun

Hey guys. I am going to be purchasing my first handgun soon and was hoping to get some good options. As of now, I am in love with the Kimber TLE/RL II. Not sure if i want it with a 4" or 5" barrel. My friends have a Sig p220 compact .45 and H&K compact .45 and I have shot them both. They are both great guns but i think I might be more suited with a 1911 because of the single stack mags (my hands are not huge). I just submitted my application so I have plenty of time to decide. I definitely want a .45 in the $1000-$1200 range and was hoping to get a bunch of good options from some experienced shooters. Thanks

My friends have a Sig p220 compact...but i think I might be more suited with a 1911 because of the single stack mags (my hands are not huge).

Not to be a nit-picker or to try a dissuade you from the 1911 platform, but the P220, in all its iterations is a single stack. Different grip options can thin out the grip for you. There are even OE "slim grips" in polymer. Try before you buy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

i want to use it for home defense

let me preface by saying i dont own a 1911 and have never had 1st hand experiences with 1911s, but for a first, and for home defense, id definitely go p220 or if it must be a 1911, something other than kimber. you read too many issues about them and if a gun has a sticky on a 1911 forum saying "common problems you may have with your kimber" that isnt acceptable to me. if you buy used for $1200 you could pick up a p220r and a p239. both black. both killer single stacks. buy one in .45 and one in 9mm and have two what i think are some of the best guns ever made and both will probably run with less issue than a kimber. sure ,you may get a kimber that works 100%, or you may be able to tune the kimber to work 100%, but why go through that trouble.

without too much looking here can give you an idea

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/3600066572

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/1810030272?r=1760092472#1760092472

both of those with transfer fees and everything are in your budget. and that isnt even "shopping around"

@wsaraceni..thanks i am def considering the sig. every review i read says the p220 and hk45 are the two best out there. i also heard some probs shooters are having during the break-in period with their kimbers, mostly FTF. however, all say it is nothing that cannot be fixed and are happy with their purchase. you are correct, as a first gun it prob is not the best idea to purchase one that might give me probs because of my lack of experience handling, but its so damn pretty!! my friend is telling me not to worry because he is very proficient with gun customization and says it shouldnt deter me if it feels right in my hand. luckily..and unfortunately i have a lot of time to do more research and try out diff guns. i am going to Randolf in a few days to rent a kimber custom so i will see how it feels to shoot.

@sivl32..at first i was looking at .40's, but everyone i talk to about it tell me not to go that way. they say stick to a .45 and/or a 9mm. not exacly sure why but i figure they know better than i do....for now

can't say anyone one knows whats better for you, it comes down to preference and whether or not you like it and the feel, I'm a 9 guy, I LOVE the .45 but just cant afford to shoot it as often. but my friends swear by the .40 round.. again its all preference and if u reload and get into gun games .40 can be loaded major and minor. when my next set of permits get approved a .40 is most def on its way, and i believe lots of .40's share the same frame as 9's and can be converted with barrel swaps to 9 and 357 sig. 9/40 double stack really isn't that thick, now I'm not trying to sell you on it but try it for your self before you take someone else's word. And friends always try to get you to get what they want you to get, hell i'm guilty of it with my friends if it were up to me they would never have gotten glocks lol

Here is the question.... why are you so set on...

1. 45 ACP?

2. 1911/P220?

How about stating what you want the handgun for?

I have smaller hands myself, and what you will find is that there is more to overall comfort than just a thin grip.