sjk1987

FID taken during change of address

I sure did mess that up! You don't need an FID to transport, sorry about that. I should know better than posting something without checking first. Very sorry and thanks for calling me on it!

Sorry again, this state is bad enough without me making it worse than it is.

Without an FID, for long guns, you have to transport just as you would handguns according to transport exemptions. (to and from range, dwelling, cased, unloaded, reasonable deviations, etc).

Having an FID allows you to posess an unloaded long gun without needing to adhere to the transport exemptions.

Without an FID, for long guns, you have to transport just as you would handguns according to transport exemptions. (to and from range, dwelling, cased, unloaded, reasonable deviations, etc).

Having an FID allows you to posess an unloaded long gun without needing to adhere to the transport exemptions.

What? Source?

Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

If you have a FPID, you may possess long guns anywhere, unless there is a law preventing you from doing so.

What? Source?

2C:39-5.

c.Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

Of course, as PK90 said, you still have to adhere to other laws, like school property, etc.

Where does it say that you can transport a long arm differently if you are possessing an FID? Note that PK90s quote is about obtaining one, not having one in your pocket. I'm not asking about owning a firearm, I'm asking about the transportation line above. Also there is a law preventing you from owning a long gun everywhere, anyway. Some quote to me the law that says I can transport them differently and the law that says I can posses a long gun anywhere.

2C:39-5 Unlawful possession of weapons.

c.tab.gifRifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

2C:39-6 Exemptions

Under exceptions see e & f. This covers a lot of civilian stuff.

2C:39-5 are the options in which you can be charged for unlawful posession. 39-6 are exemptions. There are other statutes that have to be minded as well around posession and dispostion of firearms.

Otherwise, if you are standing in the middle of the street with an unloaded rifle slung over your shoulder, there isn't a section in 2C:39-5 that they can charge you with. Yes in NJ technically we can walk around on public property with unloaded long guns. That being said, this is NJ and you will be harassed, and even charged for unlawful posession, and you will have to go through the whole legal process, but in the end they legally can't charge you for unlawful posession if you have your FID.

Not to say they won't throw other stuff at you like disturbing the peace and other things like that....

Ooops, I didn't read the part where it says turn card in with application. My bad. That just isn't right! You won't legally be allowed to transport firearms without it, seems stupid! But what's new.

You can still transport Firearms without a FID, you don't even need a FID to own firearms, buying pistol ammo is a problem and you have to transport as the exemption reads.

You guys are a riot, but answer the questions I asked: Where does it say transporting a firearm can be done differently if you have an FID. I fear you are reading the law in a very rosy sky kind of way that no one else will subscribe to.

Let me quote to you the rest of the law you might be breazing over...

First the part you quote:

c. Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

So in the next chunk c) refers to the section above

e) in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

f) Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

1) member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

2) person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

3) person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

a) to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

b) to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

c) the case of a firearm, directly to or from any exhibition or display of firearms which is sponsored by any law enforcement agency, any rifle or pistol club, or any firearms collectors club, for the purpose of displaying the firearms to the public or to the members of the organization or club, provided, however, that not less than 30 days prior to the exhibition or display, notice of the exhibition or display shall be given to the Superintendent of the State Police by the sponsoring organization or club, and the sponsor has complied with such reasonable safety regulations as the superintendent may promulgate. Any firearms transported pursuant to this section shall be transported in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

[snip]

g) weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Note how ANY transportation between business, hunting, range, whatever MUST be carried out as per section (g). This applies to section (e) and the subgroups of section (f)

So tell me again .. where does it say that having an FID excludes you from section (g), allows you open carry anywhere but the exact locations listed, or that having and FID is required for transportation.

BTW I read this three time backwards and I think I see how you may think your position is correct, but I really think you are wrong. I would suggest asking the state police what their take is on having a gun rack in the back of a pickup (with an FID) before you try it.

Also you should note that the quote you guys supply says OBTAINING an FID, not possesing an FID. Assuming your poistion is right, carrying around shouldn not be required.

BTW I read this three time backwards and I think I see how you may think your position is correct, but I really think you are wrong. I would suggest asking the state police what their take is on having a gun rack in the back of a pickup (with an FID) before you try it.

Also you should note that the quote you guys supply says OBTAINING an FID, not possesing an FID. Assuming your poistion is right, carrying around shouldn not be required.

This has been gone over here before. Please do a search for this subject. You do not need to possess a FPID, only to have obtained one to lawfully possess and transport long guns anywhere in the state. The exemptions are for those who do not have a FPID, i.e. new residents, heirs, pre-66 owners. I have spoke with Prosecutors and Judges regarding this and all have agreed.

So are you saying you can sling an empty model 94 over your shoulder and walk through Trenton because you have an FID? Because if you can't the law may or may not say what you think it says, but it is irrelevant.

Did those judges or prosecuters told you will not get prosecuted and brought in front of a judge for doing it?

So are you saying you can sling an empty model 94 over your shoulder and walk through Trenton because you have an FID? Because if you can't the law may or may not say what you think it says, but it is irrelevant.

Yes, this would be legal, however you would probably get dinged for possessing a weapon for an unlawful purpose, which is the catch-all.

You guys are KILLING me. Yes it would be legal but you would be arrested .. Hmm no. Regardless of if you think it should be would be could be legal the state is pretty sure it isn't and it will arrest you. Just like it will happily arrest you for having a gun rack with a gun in it.

You can choose to read the law anyway you want but I don't see anyone will to try it out, which leads me to think no one REALLY thinks the state sees it that way, they just wish it did.

My FID was issued in Metuchen when I moved down the shore, 7 years later, I decided to get the change of address. The corrected address card and purchase permit took 3 weeks. I turned in the old (Useless) one in when I picked up the new one.

Re applied for another purchase permit should be ready in about 2 weeks, as they just did a background in August.

I did have to do the 2 letter reference again though.

BRaptor,

That is EXACTY my point. The card is NOT invalid. It is only invalid on THIS FORUM.

Yup - On the internet, lots of things are interpreted incorrectly. 

With that said, a private seller and request/require any stipulations they want with their sale, sometimes they think its the right thing, sometimes it's just to make them feel comfortable.  I think I would request a matching DL as well.