Pizza Bob

Steyr Update

For any of you that may have been contemplating purchasing a Steyr, but were turned off by the FTE probelms I had with mine, just wanted to let you know it is fixed.

This is a known problem with Steyrs and the fix is to install an updated extractor - which is exactly what I did. I subsequently reported that it ran 100+ rounds at the range without a bobble, with three different bullet weights (147, 124 and 115 grains) and three different bullet configurations (RN FMJ, FN FMJ and JHP).

Today was Shongum's monthly USPSA match and I am happy to report that the gun ran flawlessly through 100+ rounds (all 124 gr FMJ).

This is a really great gun with fantastic ergonomics, a great trigger and unique trapezoidal sights that are quick to acquire. The low bore axis mitigates muzzle-flip and makes follow-up shots quick & easy. One feature I really like are the mags (made for Steyr by Mecgar) because they have witness holes for all rounds. Odd numbers down one side and evens down the other. Especially helpful in a division that limits you to 10+1 and the mags are 15-rounders.

I've come to the dark side and I'm loving it - at least with this Steyr. See you at CJ on 2/12 weather permitting.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I've never seen your steyr. I really like them though. If possible could you put up a pic of it?

That's interesting about the failures to eject, I never thought Steyrs would have that sort of trouble.

Now back on my list. Man I am too easily influenced to buy guns

Me too, that's why I can't pick a semi-auto. I keep listening to everyone else, and second guessing myself XD

I want a Steyr at some point. They're sooo cool.

I just have a really long list to buy. I figure no point in trying to choose just buy them all

I'm sort of like that. Fortunately, if it isn't similar to, or once was, a military firearm, I really don't have much interest (apart form .22s, and leverguns). I'm sort of a "collector" in that aspect. I really like military firearms, so that helps me cut down on what I'm interested in.

I've never seen your steyr. I really like them though. If possible could you put up a pic of it?

The whole saga can be found here...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29494-omg-%e2%80%93-what-have-i-done/

...if you are only interested in pictures they are in post #22 of the above thread.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob..are there a lot of distributors for this gun. I found a few on auction site I am interested in but would I be better off seeing if my local place can get it

The major distributors should have them. Paul found two pretty quickly when he was looking for mine. Paul is well acquainted with what constitutes the latest generation. I'd suggest you talk with him.

The whole problem with the FTE is that it is inconsistent. Some guns (most) run fine right out of the box. Those that don't (like mine) require a new extractor. Steyr's CS is excellent. One phonecall on a Tuesday - received the new extractor on that Friday. Installed on Saturday and back out to the range the following Wednesday - problem solved.

Aside from the inconsistent nature of the problem, the fact that Steyr is a relative unknown - at least compared to the likes of the big three tactical tupperware makers - their inventory does not turn as fast, likewise those guns in inventory at their distributors and dealers. So it's possible to have bunches of the latest generation guns out there in the distribution channels, but they may have "born on" dates 12 or more months apart - so it is awfully hard to say which will work and which won't

Since Steyr effectively only has one model in two calibers (used to be three) the problems become known pretty quickly. The Internet is a two edged sword - it can be a great source of information, it can also take a relatively small problem and make it seem like a very big one. The thousands of people who are perfectly satisfied, and have had no problem with the product, usually aren't heard from. The 20 stridently vocal customers with a problem, spread it like a virus. The Steyr is a great gun and I have to believe the pundits that said, the Steyr M, S and C series pistols are what the evolution of the Glock should have been.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Bob, is this the C9 A1 version? or the older version?

The letter doesn't designate age, it designates configuration. The M-A1 is the full-size pistol. The S-A1 is the compact version and the C-A1 is a hybrid (think 1911 Commander) - full size frame of the M, with the slide of the S.

There are several generations of the A1 series of pistols. The most current (which is what mine is) are easily differentiated by the crosspin through the slide just under and to the rear of the rear sight dovetail. Also the loaded chamber indicator (a pin protruding from the rear of the slide - think XD) has been eliminated. In all generations there is a hole in the barrel hood to check chamber status without retracting the slide, so the LCI was redundant.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

The major distributors should have them. Paul found two pretty quickly when he was looking for mine. Paul is well acquainted with what constitutes the latest generation. I'd suggest you talk with him.

The whole problem with the FTE is that it is inconsistent. Some guns (most) run fine right out of the box. Those that don't (like mine) require a new extractor. Steyr's CS is excellent. One phonecall on a Tuesday - received the new extractor on that Friday. Installed on Saturday and back out to the range the following Wednesday - problem solved.

Aside from the inconsistent nature of the problem, the fact that Steyr is a relative unknown - at least compared to the likes of the big three tactical tupperware makers - their inventory does not turn as fast, likewise those guns in inventory at their distributors and dealers. So it's possible to have bunches of the latest generation guns out there in the distribution channels, but they may have "born on" dates 12 or more months apart - so it is awfully hard to say which will work and which won't

Since Steyr effectively only has one model in two calibers (used to be three) the problems become known pretty quickly. The Internet is a two edged sword - it can be a great source of information, it can also take a relatively small problem and make it seem like a very big one. The thousands of people who are perfectly satisfied, and have had no problem with the product, usually aren't heard from. The 20 stridently vocal customers with a problem, spread it like a virus. The Steyr is a great gun and I have to believe the pundits that said, the Steyr M, S and C series pistols are what the evolution of the Glock should have been.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

That's how I feel about the Mini-14, everyone online says it's terribially inaccurate, it makes you really want to stay away from things.

As for the Steyr, it just goes to show how unknown they are. I figured you were talking about something like the AUG, not a handgun XD.