TheLugNutZ

Anyone make the move from Monmouth (or North) to Ocean County?

So were in the market for a home. My fiancé is from Jackson and I am from the Shark River section of Neptune.

Been house hunting for a few weeks now, and have seen about 10 houses so far, mostly in Howell (Parkside/Ramtown section) and a few in Jackson.

There is a home in the Parkside development in Howell that is very tempting, however its pretty much at the top of our budget and has taxes over $8k. Its a beautiful development, schools are good, neighborhood is newer and very well kept, but I cannot shake the "cookie cutter" feeling and just having a little 75x75 lot. I like privacy, my parents always had over-sized lots and I want that for myself. Room to grow, build on, add on, whatever. Not to mention said house is a short sale, so we can add that to the stress and uncertanty of the house buying situation.

We have been looking at Ocean County this past week, specifically Bayville, the section right east of Double Trouble park. (Area is called Pinewald). Now i dont know the area too well, but I work in Toms River and have a few clients in the area so have passed through a few times. I have also played golf at the muni course on Veterans Blvd, and I must say, there are some pretty decent looking houses around there and that very nice athletic complex area near the golf course and high school. Upon looking at listings, what you can get for ~300k is amazing. Oversized/double lots, privacy, and taxes closer to 5k rather than 10k.

Additionally, the school system seems pretty good, and they even have full day Kindergarten (my daughter is in full day pre-k and i really didnt want her to go to half day kindergarten, she needs the full day and challenges of it/ already pretty much reading at 4 years old). Turns out that school system is one of only a few (even in Monmouth) that have full day Kindergarten.

I know im ranting a bit here, but I really just want some opinions from someone that has made the move south and if there were any regrets or anything I should know before we go looking at more houses this weekend..

TL/DR: From Monmouth County, considering moving to Bayville/Lanoka Harbor area, not sold on the Ocean County area yet/havent spent much time down there. Want some opinions from people that were in similar situations if possible...