ShoreZ11759

Buying AR rifle out of state

too bad you cannot do dual state residences

Getting DLs in two different states is usually pretty easy. Get a DL for the Virginia address which will require you to surrender your NJ DL card.

Then come back to the Dirty Jerz, go to the DMV, tell them your license is lost and get a replacement card...

Getting DLs in two different states is usually pretty easy. Get a DL for the Virginia address which will require you to surrender your NJ DL card.

Then come back to the Dirty Jerz, go to the DMV, tell them your license is lost and get a replacement card...

Yes, very easy... and illegal.

Why the concern over NJ laws? The VA dealer does not know them, care about them, or is bound by them. The catch (I think) is that a non-adjoining state long gun purchase must go through a NJ FFL. The dealer in VA gets paid, ships the evil gun to a NJ FFL, the buyer goes to pick it up in NJ -- Oops, end of the string.

Back to plan B - pick up a VA DL and be done with it. All in theory, of course!

not sure what else there is to add.. I already told him how to LEGALLY have an "evil" AR15 to use out of state..

if you want an evil AR15 it is NO PROBLEM..

you are all saying can't buy.. can't buy.. well I bet he can buy an NJ legal lower.. drive down to VA.. and BUILD an ultra evil AR.. one with a 100 round drum.. flash hider.. etc.. what happens then? lol

AND

just to confuse the issue.. he could leave the ultra evil upper there when he comes back to NJ.. because an upper is NOT a firearm..

• Like 1

Why the concern over NJ laws? The VA dealer does not know them, care about them, or is bound by them. The catch (I think) is that a non-adjoining state long gun purchase must go through a NJ FFL. The dealer in VA gets paid, ships the evil gun to a NJ FFL, the buyer goes to pick it up in NJ -- Oops, end of the string. Back to plan B - pick up a VA DL and be done with it. All in theory, of course!

I'm fairly certain you can buy a long gun in another non-adjoing state without going through a NJ FFL dealer. I've done it a bunch of times in Maine from a big FFL there. You just need your NJFID card.

Handguns are a different story, they need to go through a NJ FFL dealer.

Why the concern over NJ laws? The VA dealer does not know them, care about them, or is bound by them. The catch (I think) is that a non-adjoining state long gun purchase must go through a NJ FFL. The dealer in VA gets paid, ships the evil gun to a NJ FFL, the buyer goes to pick it up in NJ -- Oops, end of the string.

Back to plan B - pick up a VA DL and be done with it. All in theory, of course!

Long guns you can buy in any state that doesn't have a restriction like the ones who only have continuous state restrictions.

Now handguns can be bought anywhere but much go through a FFL of the persons state who is buying it.

Thanks, I get that part, but what are the restrictions? Where would I find them?

Thanks again.

Not sure of a central location for that info, if it's available I'd bet some will post that, but you can check each states laws is the only way I know of.

Federal law says that long guns purchased in other than your state of residence, must conform to the laws of both the state where the transaction takes place and the state of residence of the buyer.

That I didn't know, but that seems to clinch it for trying to purchase a weapon in another state. Could you form a trust, similar to an NFA trust, list your friend/family in VA as a trustee, and purchase one that way? The firearm would be owned by the trust instead of either you or the friend/relative.

Sounds like your safest bet, though, is to have the friend/family purchase the weapon. I think in more permissive states such as Virginia, you only need to worry about illegal transfer with NFA items. Virginia is actually a more permissive environment than NC, especially WRT handgun purchases.

Definitely will not be changing my state of residence to NJ while stationed there.