Old Glock guy

Are the oil companies screwing us?

In my area Wawa gas is ALWAYS more expensive than the Lukeoil, Hess, etc stations in the same area, by at least 2-3 cents per gallon.

Wierd. Nothing makes sense in this crazy world.

My understanding is that the majority of our imported oil comes from Canada, Mexico, and venezuela(Lukoil :))

Furthermore, the global market that oil trades on as a commodity expands the supply and demand paradigm. Those who say we should "drill baby drill" as a means to lower domestic fuel prices misunderstand how this works.

We could drill until our rivers run black, and it won't affect the price. The other OPEC nations (the ones we don't get most of our oil from) will shrink their supply, and drive the price up so high that they'll break even.

My understanding is that the majority of our imported oil comes from Canada, Mexico, and venezuela(Lukoil :))

Furthermore, the global market that oil trades on as a commodity expands the supply and demand paradigm. Those who say we should "drill baby drill" as a means to lower domestic fuel prices misunderstand how this works.

We could drill until our rivers run black, and it won't affect the price. The other OPEC nations (the ones we don't get most of our oil from) will shrink their supply, and drive the price up so high that they'll break even.

Lukoil is Russian. Citgo is Venezuela (and I wont buy gas from them EVER).

well a little drama is going on offshore which is down right rediculous. Greenpeace has been illegally boarding vessels in the Gulf of Mexico. It is getting bad enough within the past week that we actually had a meeting about it today. If they are to board us, we are to be polite and respectful and "treat them like guests" and then call the coastguard. UUUGGGHHHH, WTF you are going to illegally board my vessel and we are to treat you like guests rather than get bad press!!!!!!

Title 18 U.S.C. § 1651 states:

Whoever, on the high seas, commits the crime of piracy as defined by the law of nations, and is afterwards brought into or found in the United States, shall be imprisoned for life.

They got lucky that the Supreme Court ruled on a stricter definition of piracy than many would have.

Here is an interesting perspective:

http://www.forbes.co...-falling/print/

There's always a goldbug that crawls out of the woodwork and says this.

Does this mean the dollar depreciated 5 fold when WTI went to $147/bbl? Was a Loaf of bread $15? A month or two later, WTI was $27/bbl. Did the Dollar appreciate 5 fold? Did a loaf of bread go to 60 cents?

The dollar is always depreciating. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower, but never at the rate that oil moves.

What can you do? chop your balls off and get an electric car.

I wouldn't even be able to drive to Wildwood on one charge though from where I live (Camco). And I doubt an electric car can recharge as quickly as a combustion engine can refuel.

Again, it's Obama's fault, if he were more supportive of domestic energy production, drilling for oil really, instead of subsidizing electric cars that burst into flames, maybe I woldn't be spending a third of my modest paycheck to fill my car to drive to school.

Calling back to Eric post...

Xena, the eco warrior gets arrested.

-----

Actress Lucy Lawless arrested in oil-ship protest

By NICK PERRY, Associated Press – 3 hours ago

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — Police arrested actress Lucy Lawless and five Greenpeace activists Monday, four days after they climbed onto an oil-drilling ship to prevent it from leaving a New Zealand dock.

Police removed the protesters from their perch atop a 174-foot (53-meter) drilling tower on the Noble Discoverer in Port Taranaki. Chartered by oil company Shell, the ship had been due to leave over the weekend to drill five exploratory wells in the Arctic.

Lawless and six activists climbed the tower early Friday to stop the ship's departure and raise awareness about Arctic oil drilling.

One of the activists left the tower Saturday and was initially charged with unlawfully boarding a ship. All seven have now been charged with burglary, a more serious crime. All have been released and are due to appear in a New Zealand court Thursday.

Lawless, 43, a native New Zealander, is best known for her title role in the TV series "Xena: Warrior Princess," and more recently for starring in the Starz cable television series "Spartacus."

Lawless spoke to The Associated Press from atop the tower Friday, where she said wind gusts were making it difficult for the group to stay put. She said she felt compelled to take a stand against oil-drilling in the Arctic and against global warming.

"I've got three kids. My sole biological reason for being on this planet is to ensure that they can flourish, and they can't do that in a filthy, degraded environment," she said. "We need to stand up while we still can."

In a series of tweets over the weekend, Lawless described some of the challenges of staying on the tower.

"I found last night pretty darn scary," she wrote. "Not for sissies."

In a release, Rob Jager, Chairman of Shell New Zealand, said the protest had put people in danger and he was pleased it was over. He said he remained disappointed that Greenpeace hadn't taken up the company's offer to engage in a "productive conversation."

Shell spokeswoman Shona Geary said she thought the ship would leave port within the next few days.

Bunny McDiarmid, the chief executive of Greenpeace New Zealand, said she thought the protest had gone "brilliantly" and that more than 100,000 people had sent messages to Shell to oppose the company's Arctic plans.

The Energy Dept Sec. was before Congress yesterday or today and was asked what they were doing to bring gas prices down. His answer was that they weren't doing anything about prices, it isn't a concern of theirs, they're looking into support for alternative energy.

So our gov't is screwing us.

WOW, it's getting bad. I left the house this morning and regular unleaded with $3.39 at my local station. A couple hours later I came back and it had jumped to $3.49 that quick. Looks like there is no end in sight.

Another update. Saturday, I drove by my local station and was thinking I better fill-up. It's been a $3.47 for the last few weeks. My wife distracted me and I never got gas. You know where this story is going, don't you? This morning the price was $3.55. What a mess.

Another thing that I found depressing. I was cleaning out of some old papers and found a reciept for home heating oil from back in April 2003, at which time I paid $1.60 per gallon. That same company, as of Febuary 2012 was charging $4.30 per gallon.

I'm not sure if it's more depressing how high it's spiked or the fact that I still have papers/reciepts around here from 2003 and earlier.

Another thing that I found depressing. I was cleaning out of some old papers and found a reciept for home heating oil from back in April 2003, at which time I paid $1.60 per gallon. That same company, as of Febuary 2012 was charging $4.30 per gallon.

I only bought my house in 2008 and I paid $4+/gal. Somewhere between then and now, it dropped to around $1.50/gal too, so not even the overall increase since 2003, but just the volatility over the past 4 years has fluctuated that much.