Sandy

New .357

Fixed it for you - it's a J-frame. Full length rubber grips cover the backstrap thus increasing the LOP - something critical for people with small hands. The Altamont wood grips that came on the Pro series 60 are full length and have an exposed backstrap.

Thanks

A friend of mine just picked up his FPID and permits. He is interested in a S&W 686. I'll need to compare to the Model 60 to see what the differences are.

Considerable. The model 60 works really well for irishpete'swife because of her diminutive size. It is a small-frame handgun (J-frame in S&W parlance) and is used primarily for snubbies. They also have two medium frames - the K and the L, of which the L is slightly larger and was created in response to longevity problems when the K-frame was subjected to a steady diet of magnum loads. And two large frames - the N and the X. The N chambers normal rounds, up to and including the .44 mag and .45 Colt, while the X-frame is for the "OMG what is that thing" calibers like 460 and 500 S&W mag.

I think that you will find that you will be better served by something like the L-frame unless there are specific parameters that would require a small handgun.

Enjoy whichever you end up with.

Adios,

Pizza Bob