woodentoe

A good business plan?

Is it just me or does it seem that opening an indoor range somewhere in Northern Monmouth, Middlsex or Southern Union Counties is a winner?

I see folks posting complaints about SS, BH, BA, etc...

But, the truth is that those ranges draw people from the nexus of the parkway and the turnpike because there is nowhere else to go. When I show up at SS on a weekend and there is a 2 hour wait of people paying (now) $20 an hour per port, per person plus rentals and ammo...It seems like the type of problem any business owner would dream of?

What are the pitfalls up in this neck of the woods (I'm in Woodbridge) that has prevented someone...anyone from opening a range here? There are lots of industrial areas in Carteret, port Reading, Perth Amboy, Raritan and elsewhere. Seems like a money-maker.

Thoughts?

To play devil's advocate, all of this can also play into your favor. A high barrier to entry, or what Warren Buffet calls a "moat," is one of the things that can make a business successful since it reduces possible competitors. Put another way, if it was super easy and cheap, the market would be flooded. On the downside, you have high capital costs, high maintenance costs, high insurance costs and a very anti-business (shooting range) political climate,

The East Brunswick Police Range is laying there collecting dust. I've been told by the town council it would be open to the public in the near future, I don't know what their version of near is. I really don't think they have a clue about the interest it would generate in central NJ. They don't appear to be in much of a rush in making this a possibility. It seems that the council is more interested in dog parks and patting themselves on the back for recognizing cultural "diversity".

The East Brunswick Police Range is laying there collecting dust. I've been told by the town council it would be open to the public in the near future, I don't know what their version of near is. I really don't think they have a clue about the interest it would generate in central NJ. They don't appear to be in much of a rush in making this a possibility. It seems that the council is more interested in dog parks and patting themselves on the back for recognizing cultural "diversity".

Not the first time we have had this mentioned, glad I wasn't holding my breath the first time I heard this.. :icon_mrgreen:

There are several Police Ranges in NJ that are open to the public. EB council is aware of this. Maybe they feel the loss of revenue from it being a financial bust outweighs the cost of opening it to the public. I know it's operating in the red. I was informed by a council member a few months ago it might open within the half year and, that they have a favorable vote. I asked another council member the same thing and, was told its not ready for a council vote. Political rhetoric is not limited to national politics.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. There is an old run down air strip + land by me in marlboro and couldn't help but ponder as to what it would take to buy the land and open a shop/indoor/outdoor range there. Im sure it would never happen though seeing how the local community would prob go ape shit, seeing most people are stupid and would think the taliban is training there or something.

I just stumbled on this thread pondering looking into the steps to open a range myself. Im in Monmouth County, in Howell, and I actually think if there was an indoor range on rt9 somewhere in the Howell/Freehold area it would do wonderful.

I wonder if anyone has tried in Howell before. Maybe I should talk to the owners of RTSP and see what they had to go through. If anyone is interested in a business standpoint, PM me, potential investors would be needed...

Im not just talking to talk here, I am 100% serious. Gun ownership is obviously becoming more popular, and aside from private ranges, and shoreshot/BA, there are no indoor ranges in this area. I think that it is a VERY solid possibility to generate some serious revenue and if Howell is smart they can get some of that tax money too...

Monroe in middlesex got approval for land use and zoning for an indoor range. Id say the ONLY thing that isnt a slam dunk about that place is location in relation to major highways (mott ave) its still early on though but sources in town say it is undoubtedly coming. We had a thread a few months back on this same subject

I just stumbled on this thread pondering looking into the steps to open a range myself. Im in Monmouth County, in Howell, and I actually think if there was an indoor range on rt9 somewhere in the Howell/Freehold area it would do wonderful.

I wonder if anyone has tried in Howell before. Maybe I should talk to the owners of RTSP and see what they had to go through. If anyone is interested in a business standpoint, PM me, potential investors would be needed...

Im not just talking to talk here, I am 100% serious. Gun ownership is obviously becoming more popular, and aside from private ranges, and shoreshot/BA, there are no indoor ranges in this area. I think that it is a VERY solid possibility to generate some serious revenue and if Howell is smart they can get some of that tax money too...

Great idea. How about the former Kelly Chevrolet dealership property in Howell . Large service area building could be the indoor range portion. Showroom area could be the retail gun sales area. Great location just off 195. Accessible from the Parkway or Turnpike.