zoid

Adjusting dies from 38spl to 357 mag. Is it a pain?

I want to get a 357 mag revolver and reload for it.

Is it a hassle to adjust dies from 38spl to 357mag?

Not sure if it's worth getting a separate die set for

each. Also do you guys think it's worth having a

separate press for 38/357? I have one Lee Pro 1000

for 9mm and 45acp. I find it a little annoying switching

between the two. Thanks.

If they are standard 7/8x14 threads you can get a washer from Redding or RCBS that is the difference between the sizes if you are using the same bullet. Just add the washer. seperate seating dies for different bullets are a good idea if you like it.

If they are standard 7/8x14 threads you can get a washer from Redding or RCBS that is the difference between the sizes if you are using the same bullet. Just add the washer. seperate seating dies for different bullets are a good idea if you like it.

+1 to what Tim said. My RCBS die set came with a washer to add under the die. Very easy.

The difference in case length between the two is precisely 1/8" and as others have stated, there are spacers you can get that you can put underneath the lock ring to move it up (RCBS provides this free with thier die set). The catch is that the use of spacers such as these for the belling and seating/crimping dies relies on you using the same *exact* bullet for both calibers so unless you're doign that, its of little use. You could use it for the flaring die but its so easy to adjust, who cares about it. Its the seating/crimp thats the big PITA to readjust and you might as well get another one of those if your loads use a different bullet.

I should add that I use a Dillon 550B. I don't think there is a washer setup that would work for me.

Chris this guy is selling a die holder for the 550 that has a spacer inder the holder. You put the spacer underneath for 357 raising the dies and on top for 38spl lowering the dies. I'll see if I can find the link.

Edit: Here's the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Toolhead-Kit-for-Dillon-550B-Reloader-/120868030577?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c244bc871

I always thought it was a hassle. I only load 357 brass, and up/down load it as needed.

This

If you are reloading for a 357 revolver, why not just do this? You can load a .357 mag round to act like a softer .38. That's one of the benefits of reloading yourself, custom tailored rounds. The only real reason to load both would be if you also owned a .38special only gun and needed to load for both.

This

If you are reloading for a 357 revolver, why not just do this? You can load a .357 mag round to act like a softer .38. That's one of the benefits of reloading yourself, custom tailored rounds. The only real reason to load both would be if you also owned a .38special only gun and needed to load for both.

Absolutely!! Good point!

Just caution...Watch light 357 loads concerning air space and lighty charges.

• Like 1

Absolutely!! Good point!

Just caution...Watch light 357 loads concerning air space and lighty charges.

Good point. I used to see some of my brass blackened because I was loading too light for certain powders. I have had better luck with fast powders (like Bullseye) than slow ones when downloading 357.

Hmm, very interesting points.

I find that 38spl brass seems to be more abundant than 357 mag. I never thought about

just loading 357mag light.

I have a Lee Pro 1000 so I don't know if the washer would work. Not sure of the threading.

The Dies are very easy to swap out if you have the locking ring, that might be an option.

Thanks for all the pointers.