mrjam2jab

PA Resident & NJ FPID

Out and about with the Mrs we stopped at Walmart. Since we were in the sporting goods aisle picking up a bat for Daughter #1, I also picked up a box of ammo.

As we're leaving store she asks "What is needed to buy ammo?"

Me: "Nothing. Some stores may card you for age since you must be 21 for handgun ammo...but most don't. I've only been carded once, at Dick's and that was because counter person wanted to make sure I was a PA resident since a NJ resident would need a FPID to buy it. I corrected her on that point."

Mrs: "So if we were over in NJ visiting my sister or your parents and you wanted to buy ammo, could you?"

Me: Not unless I had a NJ FPID

Mrs: Can you get one as a PA resident?

Me: Yes.

Mrs: Maybe you should look into it.

So "if" i looked into this...I know as a PA resident I would apply with NJSP. There is a barracks near Trenton that could do this? Think that would be my closest one. Is there an easier one to deal with or all about the same?

There might be reasons to get an NJ FID. Getting ripped off buying ammo in NJ is not one of them.

Ok...what might some of them be?

Especially since you can't buy ammo at wal-mart in NJ

Really??? Wow....

I will drive to WalMart in PA (about 45 minutes to an hour) for cheaper Ammo and (depending on the store) nicer treatment. I will stop at Ramsey Outdoor for a box or two if I am going to RTSP. For example...

Dicks in NJ will not sell me .45 since I am 20. If I could buy it, they will write down all of my information for records purposes. Plus, 99.9% of the time the gun counter people are extremely rude.

Walmart in PA will sell me cheaper .45, using only my DL to clarify I am not a minor. I have been there a few times, and it has always been the same woman behind the gun counter, who is friendly and generally nice to deal with.

I will drive to WalMart in PA (about 45 minutes to an hour) for cheaper Ammo and (depending on the store) nicer treatment. I will stop at Ramsey Outdoor for a box or two if I am going to RTSP. For example...

Dicks in NJ will not sell me .45 since I am 20. If I could buy it, they will write down all of my information for records purposes. Plus, 99.9% of the time the gun counter people are extremely rude.

Walmart in PA will sell me cheaper .45, using only my DL to clarify I am not a minor. I have been there a few times, and it has always been the same woman behind the gun counter, who is friendly and generally nice to deal with.

Walmart in PA is breaking the law. You cannot legally buy handguns or handgun ammunition until you are 21.

18 USC sec 922 (b) (1)

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed

manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or

deliver -

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the

licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than

eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is

other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or

rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable

cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

It would, I think, allow you to legally drive to Newark Airport, check your handgun and travel. FOPA might cover you, but remember the guy who got stuck at Newark by his airline and was busted for having a handgun but not an FPID card.

Not saying it makes sense....it's Jersey!