woodentoe

Keeping firearms at temporary location in event of disaster.

I was wondering about this. I did a search for residence and couldn't come across a thread. I know there was some discussion about hotels and so forth. But consider this scnario.

I have my firearms stored in my home. We endure another hurricane and my home Is damaged either by flooding or fire such that we can't remain there during repairs. What can I do with my firearms? Can thy go I to self-storage? Can they come with my to my parents house while I stay there? Even though it's not my residence? How would that work?

I would think that a storage area if not restricted my your lease agreement would be fine but let others chime in for a more informed decision. As far as your parents, long guns fine, but you may be restricted with handguns if they are in NJ, out of state, should not be a problem unless there were laws where they are that would restrict it.

As I said, just a guess on my part.

I have a storage unit and I know ammo is not allowed as part of my lease. Not sure about the firearms part.

Considering that the storage facility is under 24 hr camera surveillance and you need a unique PIN to enter the yard combined with the high security lock on the unit door, I would say it's a secure location. If you added a safe or locking cabinet of some kind to the equation your looking real secure. I will say I would not be resting easy knowing my guns were not in my control. If I had to leave home and store my weapons I highly doubt I would have time to locate a truck and move a safe into the storage unit.

Long guns are no problem if you have your FID. HG's could be an issue. One thing you can do is ask your FFL dealer to do you a favor and hold on to them for a few weeks. Otherwise, if your home is destroyed, and you move in with your parents, I can't see how your parent's house would not become your residence/dwelling. Won't be hard to prove in court since your original home is uninhabitable and you had to find a new place to live in short notice, and a prosecutor would have to really stretch far to try to charge you for unlawful possession under the circumstances.

In NJ a handgun is illegal for anyone, any time, any place unless you fall within one of the specific exeptions. Those exeptions include your home, business you own, range, gun shop, hunting and transporting directly between those places. A storage locker or parents' house is not one of the exeptions and would be illegal. If you actually reside at your parents' house then I beleive that is your residence and it's fine. I don't know about long guns.

In NJ a handgun is illegal for anyone, any time, any place unless you fall within one of the specific exeptions. Those exeptions include your home, business you own, range, gun shop, hunting and transporting directly between those places. A storage locker or parents' house is not one of the exeptions and would be illegal. If you actually reside at your parents' house then I beleive that is your residence and it's fine. I don't know about long guns.

Close, but you are missing one exemption.

2C:39-6 Exemptions

e.tab.gifNothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

Whether or not a storage unit counts as "premises owned or possessed by him" I do not know, but it may qualify.

I would just ask my gun dealer to store them. Handguns that is.

What if they said no? What if you didn't have time?

Another question would be. If you had an ffl take posession of say 5 handguns, would you need to apply and get pistol permits to get them back at ogam? If you put a handgun up on consignment and it doesn't sell or you want it back, you must use a permit to transfer it back.

I dont think its that hard of a decision(IANAL) but if your home becomes un-inhabitable and you must live somewhere else like your parents, brothers etc that is where you are residing and thus your residence. Whats the alternative, leave them un-attended, abandoned in an empty home? Is that going to be the prosecuters case that thats what you should have done? The way I read it you are even allowed to move them from one residence to another.There has to be an option, the situation exists and has to be dealt with.Just dont live out of the cars trunk for 2 weeks.

Keep in mind this is NJ and you would need a P2P to get them back just as you do when you leave a handgun on consignment.

That's why you would drop them off for a cleaning and evaluation or some type of repair, tell the dealer/gunsmith to take his time doing the work for you.

Well, ray that's true. But in a disaster you describe I'd be barricading myself in the house after digging a moat and destroying the staircase. Hence, I'd be brandishing my guns. Rather, in august we lost power fOr a week after the hurricane and had water in the basement. Perhaps my use of the word disaster was too hyperbolic.