Old School

USPSA Magazine Says Del-Ton High Quality Uppers and Parts

Yep, and you found 1 person that said Delton makes high quailty parts and you took that as proof.

I'm just trying to help you get your post count up...

They sell alot of rifles and I don't think they'd survive in the market place if they were such junk.

They sell alot of rifles and I don't think they'd survive in the market place if they were such junk.

There's a ton of junk guns still being made that have survived for a long time. hint: think Hi point firearms.

McDonalds sells a lot of burgers, they aren't great, but they sell. Why? Because most people just want something resembling a burger at the lowest cost. taste and health are by far a secondary need. Delton serves the same customer

McDonalds sells a lot of burgers, they aren't great, but they sell. Why? Because most people just want something resembling a burger at the lowest cost. taste and health are by far a secondary need. Delton serves the same customer

Now McDonalds...You're getting down right Un-American.

I will be getting my complete upper from Del-Ton in a few weeks. Once it arrives I will be sure to let anyone who cares know about its quality and anyone who wants is more than welcome to test it out and compare to their rifles. As for negatives about Del-Ton other than it doesn't like crap ammo which can be said for many rifles.

I will be getting my complete upper from Del-Ton in a few weeks. Once it arrives I will be sure to let anyone who cares know about its quality and anyone who wants is more than welcome to test it out and compare to their rifles. As for negatives about Del-Ton other than it doesn't like crap ammo which can be said for many rifles.

Good luck! Hopefully you can expect this:

post-1785-0-61504100-1331765360_thumb.jpg

Del-ton uses a lot of cmt and dpms parts. For their run of the mill guns, the barrels were from mossberg at least as of a few months ago. They have a pretty good track record of answering inquiries about what is what. From customer reviews, the mossberg barrels are ok, nothing stellar. They make a decent affordable AR.

I have a Del-Ton upper on order. I should have it in a few weeks. I have no agenda so I'll be happy to provide my opinion of it. I'd also be happy to have an experienced member (that is able to be objective) compare my upper with their favorite.

If there are problems, quality or otherwise, lets get 'em out in the open. If it is actual a good valve, let's get that out as well.

Well, I promised to give my honest appraisal of a Del-Ton upper, but it looks like that will never happen.

I tracked my order weekly on their website. I went from "Processing" to "Final Stage of Processing" and then finally "Final Stage or Shipped". And then I received an email that said:

"Thanks for your order, but the DTI 16" 1x9 Light Weight Chrome Lined Barrels & Phantom Aggressive End Comp/Brake that you ordered is currently on backorder, I am not sure of the exact ETA on them at this time, If you want to wait till these part come in, or if you would like to change to something we have in stock I can also help with this. If you would just let me know and I will take care of your order."

To that I replied:

"I am disappointed to learn 4 weeks after I placed an order (and after its confirmation & acceptance) that my order has been put on backorder. That is something I would have liked to have known at the time I placed the order. Looking at your website, it would appear that you are out of stock on all barrel assemblies, so I don't know why you offered to change the order to something you have "in stock".

Since you are unable to provide me with an ETA, I would like to cancel my order for the full amount of $504.64."

In my business, we don't accept a PO unless we have the parts in-hand or in-bound. I did get a follow-up email from Del-Ton and the sales person told me:

"I am sorry, but with the amount of orders that have come in the past month, it is kinda hard to say when you place the order it might have been in stock, but by the time we got to the order to process it could be out of stock. We have posted on our website that we are running 4-6 weeks out on all orders and it was there when your order was placed and we are still within that time."

That's some serious double speak. It was here when you ordered it but wasn't when we went to build it. Then you DIDN'T have the inventory...it was already committed to other builds. How can you still be "within that time frame" if you can't even provide an ETA?

Well, that's the bad news. The good news is I ordered a Stag Arm 3H upper this morning. This is an quality upper without controversy. Oh, and I saved $20 in the process. I did look to purchase a BCM first, but their website told me that the unit(s) I wanted to order WERE ON BACK ORDER. What a refreshing way to run a website!

So, add me to the group of people that have been disappointed or let down by Del-ton. Perhaps their product is of good quality, but I'll never know.

When I was building my M4gery, I used this article as my bible when searching for an upper:

http://forums.office...uy-an-AR-15-huh

The Del-Ton upper I purchased had all of the Mil-spec "positive" features mentioned in this guide, and none of the negatives.

Plus, Del-Ton was by far the best bang for the buck.

In my opinion "You get what you pay for" is an antiquated and ignorant concept.

The new version is:

"You get what you search hard for and research well."

Spending more doesn't always yield better results.

I agree there are manufacturers out there who cut corners.

Del-Ton isn't one of them.

To Clarify when I say the Del-Ton makes quality uppers...

My Del-Ton upper had the following characteristics:

1:7 Twist, Cold Hammer Forged Barrel, Chrome Lining

Proper barrel markings

F-marked Front sight base

Mil-spec Carrier Key staking (very nicely done)

Mil-spec extended feed ramps (perfect machining with upper receiver)

Fully shrouded firing pin

To be honest, I don't understand the "black insert," so I can't comment on that.

I only purchased my upper from Del-Ton, so my lower doesn't have an H marked buffer (couldn't find one).

To Clarify when I say the Del-Ton makes quality uppers...

My Del-Ton upper had the following characteristics:

1:7 Twist, Cold Hammer Forged Barrel, Chrome Lining

Proper barrel markings

F-marked Front sight base

Mil-spec Carrier Key staking (very nicely done)

Mil-spec extended feed ramps (perfect machining with upper receiver)

Fully shrouded firing pin

To be honest, I don't understand the "black insert," so I can't comment on that.

I only purchased my upper from Del-Ton, so my lower doesn't have an H marked buffer (couldn't find one).

The insert is the polymer rod in the middle of the extractor spring. The original spec spring was not strong enough, especially in overgassed carbine builds, so a new spring weight was specified. To indicate the spring was the new spec, the rod was changed form white (original) to black (new). That's for the military. There are black inserts with weaker springs and white inserts with stronger springs, and I have even seen blue inserts (also in theory stronger than the original spec).

The other fix for it was putting in a small o-ring, or a d-ring (more expensive by a lot, wears longer if coupled with a lighter original spec spring though). Often you will now find black insert plus an o-ring. Which can cause fun things like ripping off chunks of case rim if your chamber is sticky and the brass is soft and you are running a carbine length gas system on a 16" (chrome lined chamber seems to help that a bit though).

Well, my upper shipped today, i'll have it by the weekend hopefully. I'll let you know about initial quality and finish. I will add this in, I have been in constant communication with Del-Tons Customer Service and I have to give them an A+, they have answered every question fully and honestly, very nice people.