when_shtf

Home Range - Design

I've been shooting on my property since I built my house in 1994. But I've never had much of a "set-up", just a saw horse with targets or soda cans stuck to it that is mounted in front of a 6 foot high x 4 foot deep berm (I actually have a lot of berms on my property from when I had a dirt bike track). This basic shooting area has been my one-size-fits-all shooting area with markings for 10, 25, 50 and 100 yards. Over the last few weeks I've been clearing out some space where the old track was as I am planning on building a few dedicated shooting ranges/areas. Here's what I'm looking to do:

Pistol Range: I have an old table top jump that is 80' wide by 12' deep by 8' high. I'd like to use this as a backstop for pistol shooting. I have cleared an area in front of this backstop that measures approximately 40 yds x 40 yds. I was thinking of installing a target stand in front of the dirt mound (made of two or more 4x4x4 for legs with a 1x6 "top" screwed to a horizontal 4x4x8) that I could mount spring-loaded steel targets that fall over when hit as well as a platform for plastic bottles of colored water (or a place to tie balloons). On both sides of this stand I will mount standard (27"w x 72"h) paper target holders. What type of tables should I create for this area, if any? I was thinking of several 3x3 table tops that stand 4 feet off the ground to have a place to load/unload as well as shoot from. I'd like to have this range set-up so movement drills can be conducted. What should I think of installing that might help? I think steel "target trees" would also work well here.

Short & Long Ranges: I have a few places where I can have 100-150 yard ranges. One is flat with a 5' high berm at the end and the other has a slope that raises about 8' to 10' over the course of 150 yards. There is a 4' high berm at the high side and a 6' high berm at the low side. I'm thinking of using the flat area as a 50' range for 22LR shooting and the sloped area for a 100 yard range, firing up the slope to have an higher backstop (by keeping the target stand low to the ground). I was thinking of building a shooting table like this for each range:

bench3_000.jpg

I will modify this simple design to have rifle holders/stands on both the left and right side because I don't like laying rifles flat on a table top as I walk down range. I would also place a rifle rest and assorted bags on these tables.

I was thinking of building target stands that are no higher then 1 foot off the ground and two feet tall (3' high overall). I'd like to build target-holders/backstops out of 3/4 ply that are easily replaceable. What I'm thinking of doing is making a wooden frame that has slots in it to accept 3 or 4 2'x2'x3/4" that slide in from the top. When a piece of 3/4 is too shot-up to hold a target, side it up to remove it and slide a new piece in its place.

What else should I be thinking of having on these ranges to keep them interesting and challenging?

I also have a spots where I can put a 200 yard ranges, but I may hold off on finishing those areas until I get tired of shooting the 100-150 yard range. I'm sure that will take some time.

Anyway, if anyone has built such a set up, or has ideas for a setup like this, I'd sure like opinions and suggestions.

Thanks.

I can tell by your post, that not only are you extremely intelligent, but very good looking too..

sorry, but the only input I have for your post is developing a man-crush :)

seriously though, we've conversed regarding ar-15 builds, if you ever want to try before you buy, I could come on down......

You guys are very funny, but not much help :)

No suggestions for making a range?

Thanks we try,, lol Now reading over it again I see you can move earth easy enough so I would first think about building up some of the berms up a little taller, a couple seem a little low. Now as far as setting up areas and what to do. I would if I was you come out shoot some of the matches that we post about here. Not only are they a lot of fun, but looking at the different ranges and type of shooting that may be different than you normally do, may spark a few ideas for you.

If I was going to say what to do, I'd set up a few pits for action with storage sheds at the up-range edge of each for target stands. I'd have a few ready for USPSA and a few for Steel. I'd want berms on 3 sides and high enough to run overhead lines on a grid pattern. That way you can put up cloth walls and what not on the USPSA/IDPA pits. Now steel pits, same thing, sheds to hold the equipment and while I wouldn't ave any overhead lines to hang things, I would have the ground marked out so it would be easy to measure out and set up stages. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do to all the pits like this.

I'd also have rifle as you said you already have, but would make sure I have a nice set of benches, but also a roof over the shooting area, after all, no reason not to be out there even if it's raining. Now with that said, some sort of steel target in permanent stand that you can leave up all the time, after all no fun shooting wet paper.

Want more??? :icon_mrgreen:

to add on too what harry said....it gets boring punching paper and making one ragged hole. when you get up off of the table and learn how to SAFELY move around with all your weaponry and shot that's when the sport gets fun. dig a pit 40yards x40 with a good size berm so you can make paths to work on running and gunning. setting up a zombie shoot would be cool too. where you put targets in wagons and as your walking someone behind you pulls a cord which makes the zombie launch at you. if you have enough room the possibilities are endless

Hell I'd pay more then $5.. If you have the room, I agree. Something more then just a straightline paper shoot would be cool. Maybe do a HD layout, kind of a cops and robbers shootout type deal.. as real world scenario as you could get would make it real fun, for you of course.

I don't watch Top Shot, but I do watch Top Gun. That show is what has me thinking about making a better shooting area.

Going to a few shooting competitions is a very good idea. I will put a few of those on my calendar.

I do have a small bucket loader, so building up the berms is not an issue.

I never even thought of a pit or berm in the middle of the range...I see the possibilities of that set up.

Regarding having you all over, I'll let my dirtbike experience take over...

I was really into motocross and harescramble riding during my 30's. I built a really nice track on my property for practice. My son and I would ride a few nights a week when I came home from work and we'd ride on Saturdays too. I never heard boo from a neighbor. In time friends of mine and my son's learned that we had a top-notch and well groomed track..and they would drop not-to-subtle hints that they'd like to come ride with us. Well, one friend over became two, which became three...which became people camping out over the weekends riding all weekend long. I loved it. So did the wife and family as it became our social circle.

Our neighbors had other thoughts. My closest neighbor is 1,000 feet away, but bikes make noise and dust...and lots of both. One neighbor in particular complained from time to time, and I completely understood. If he asked us to stop for the day, we did. We tried several things to self-limit the noise and dust; like no engine starts before noon and after 6PM, no more then 5 bikes out at a time, and other things...but my neighbor was right, it was too much. It got to the point that I stopped riding on my own track to keep the noise and dust down. After a few years I closed the track. As a result my sons and I stopped riding all together and we sold our bikes (we had 6 dirt bikes between us at one point).

So, when my range is up and running I can see have a friend or two over to shoot, but never more then that and not on a regular basis. The good news is I have neighbors that shoot too so the sound of a few people shooting doesn't bother them. The sound of a range for hours on end will just piss them off. There are a few people within ear-shot of me (a mile or more away, up on a ridge) that shoot a lot on some weekends. It has never bothered me, but I do notice it.

I've always shot my .22 whenever I wanted...because it doesn't make much noise. My .357 or 20ga. only come out a few times a month. But in a week or two I'll have my .223, and I plan on shooting that sucker. A lot.

So as I get to know some of you, you are welcome to shoot...one at a time.

I may not like it, but I'd sure like to hear it.

Well, I said I didn't want to, but if you insist :)

Set it up so I can shoot full auto, silencers, tracer, and API on the range. And so I can carry on my way to and from the range to protect myself, my friends, our kids, and our firearms.

rear berm 20 feet high

2 side berms 10 feet high

side berms don't need to run the distance of the whole pit, just the last 20 yards

Get old steel barrels, doors, fences and building material

Build a course of fire and invite me and my "friends" to use it as training.

Are there concerns about lead ending up on your well, if you had a well?

Just wondering

I'm in farm country...there are worse things (like pesticides & fertilizers) too worry about in my water. I don't think the small amount of lead would make a measurable impact on the aquifer. My well is @ 160'.

Well, my home range has begun. For the long range built a target stand that has removable panels. You simply lift the top member and then slide the 18"x18"x3/4 boards out. Here is a photo.

photo-34.jpg

I built this out of scrap wood, so if it doesn't workout I'm only out about an hour of time. You can also see that I've put a marker in the ground. This is my 100 yard marker, I also have markers at 50 yards and 25 yards.

Here is a photo of the sighting table looking down range at the target stand.

photo-33.jpg

You'll have to look real hard to see the target stand...it's at the top center of the photo. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the berm that is around the target stand covers all three sides. I'm going to head out to Sarco tomorrow to get myself some 100-yd and 50-yd targets.

Lastly, I've started work on my pistol range. All I have so far is an 8' wide target stand that is mounted in front of a berm.

photo-32.jpg

The top sits at 45" above the ground. From the top of the upper horizontal to the bottom of the lower horizontal is 24". This will allow me to mount some targets. I'm going to build a few standing target holders from wood and PVC. The above photo was taken from 15 yards. Are most pistol ranges 15 or 25 yards?

While I'm Sarco I'll look for targets to mount on the top shelf of the stand. I was thinking of a few of these:

44886_DiamondPopUpTarget.jpg

I'm going to go to the Split Rock gun show to see if I can find anything cool for the range. I think I'd also like to get a few trees as well. I've got plenty of berm to play with.