Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

Oetiker clamps and Pex-al-pex or fostapex?

This is a plumbing question, I figure there are few people on here who even know what I'm about to say and even fewer who know the answer...oh well, here goes :)

I am contemplating doing my own installation of the radiant heating in my house with pex.

I know I need to use pex with an oxygen barrier. I believe the baseboards are 3/4" fittings.

I currently own the 1/2" Viega press tool and the Oetiker Ratcheting Clamp tool.

If I get the 3/4 Viega Press tool, I can use FostaPex which is expensive or just basic oxygen barrier pex for the radiat baseboard.

My question, can I just use the Oetiker 3/4" clamps? I already own the tool, but I'm not sure if the oetiker clamps are suitable for radiant heating.

I know the Viega Press fittings are top notch but I have both types in my house and neither has failed. I'd just rather not pop the $135+ for the Viega tool if I don't need it.

Any suggestions welcome.

Oh and before someone says "Get a licensed plumber to do it", we may work out a deal where I run all the piping(drill holes, mount units, etc) and he hooks up the manifold and the boiler. I've run pex before and it's no big deal. If you can drill a hole, squeeze a crimper and run flexible hoses, you can run pex.