hammer

Ar-15 make it NJ legal - adco?

Folks,

I just joined this forum and read through a number of very educational posts. I am planning to build my own Ar-15. I've seen a number of posts that seem to indicate that a common method to make a self built AR-15 rifle NJ legal is to send it to ADCO. How does this actually work? Do you first build a complete rifle and then ship it to Adco or do you ship to ADCO just parts that need to be made NJ legal - just send a barrel and a stock? Please let me know the details of how this works. Also, why do it through a gunsmith that's not local? Isn't there a NJ based gunsmith who could do it? Or would you buy a barrel and stock from ADCO and have them make it NJ legal at once?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

What exactly do you need on the rifle?

I would contact Mastadon, as they are in your area and they can make the rifle NJ compliant. (vendor on the forum)

It really boils down to exactly what needs to be done.

For instance, I recently had Paul complete my AR upper. I had a 14.5 barrel that needed to have a comp installed and pinned, to be over 16" total. Took both to Paul (pk90) and he put the upper together for me.

• Like 1

I went through ADCO building my AR-15

I paid for the upper through another site, had them ship it directly to ADCO, they did the work needed(in my case pin/weld comp and shave bayo lug,) and then they mailed the upper to me.

But there are also forum vendors here who can do the job for you.

If you plan on building/assembling your AR from scratch, you do not need to send your parts to anyone. You will need to purchase the lower receiver from, or have a lower receiver shipped through, a licensed FFL.

If you feel that you need assistance in the building or assembly of your AR, you can bring it to a shop for that purpose.

Do you have the necessary tools to build an AR from scratch? Are you planning on simply joining a pre-assembled upper with a pre-assembeled lower? That operation doesn't require and special tools, or skill for that matter.

OK you desparados!

I was up at Mastodon today and if you guys are shipping your stuff out for NJ compliance work you are missing the boat, wasting your money, pissing up a rope. Get the idea?

You have Mastodon up north and Arms and Ammo down south.

I like the guy in the "brown truck" but these local guys do nice work and go out of their way to help you.

BTW I have no association with either of these shops, just sayin'

• Like 2

OK you desparados!

I was up at Mastodon today and if you guys are shipping your stuff out for NJ compliance work you are missing the boat, wasting your money, pissing up a rope. Get the idea?

You have Mastodon up north and Arms and Ammo down south.

I like the guy in the "brown truck" but these local guys do nice work and go out of their way to help you.

BTW I have no association with either of these shops, just sayin'

I couldn't agree more, they just pinned my brake. I didn't price out ADCO with shipping but mastadon did excellent work and it was WAY cheaper then shipping it out, even with the lovely drive up there.

Figure out what you want, and the most planning is the upper. I had to make sure my barrel had the nut and gas block in place prior to pinning. Or you could have them assemble what you cant do.

I called Mastodon and spoke with someone really friendly and helpful there. This Saturday right after Cherry Hill swap meet I will visit them to discsuss my Ar-15 build. On Saturday Mastadon's "AR-15 guy" will be there as I was told :)

LOL...that's kinda funny...

You spoke with Joe....I'm more of Garand Guy...but OK....

What time will you be there??..ill be in about ten

Nick, Hammer - I'll be at the swap meet and will stop by the shop afterward if I can be of any help.

Frank

How about this? (No "nj legal" work needed)

Del-ton 16" Post-Ban Flat Top Barrel Assembly $400

DTI (Del-Ton) Stripped Lower Receiver $120

AR-15 Complete Lower Parts Kit $55

AR-15 M4 CAR Post-Ban Buttstock Assembly - Black $90

Rifle Gear: Magpul PMAG 15 Round 30 Body Magazine .223/5.56mm $21

or simply this: Model M&P15 Sport™ - 10 Round Magazine, Fixed Stock $739

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_785513_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y