Sign in to follow this  
rdsmith3

Armed Robbery - CVS in Ledgewood

This is close to me. It seems like more of this is going on, all over NJ. A Shell station in Budd Lake was also robbed recently.

A 28-year-old man was charged Sunday with robbing a CVS of Oxycontin and Oxycodone, police said.

Daniel R. O’Neill, 28, of Hopatcong, was charged with first degree robbery, third degree possession of stolen property, third degree theft and resisting arrest. His bail was set at $250,000.

Officers were dispatched to the CVS on Route 46 in Ledgewood at approximately 6:55 a.m. Sunday for a report of an armed robbery.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20120319/NJNEWS/303190019/Hopatcong-man-charged-robbing-Roxbury-CVS

The suspect approached a CVS employee with what was believed to be a weapon in the pocket of his jacket

If you threaten with a weapon while committing robbery, isn't that armed robbery? If it turns out you did not have a weapon, then it is still armed robbery, but they cannot file weapons charges, right?

In NJ, weapons charges are reserved for otherwise law-abiding middle-class citizens who make mistakes.

of course it COULD just be that the reporter didnt bother to list ALL the charges.....Nahhh..it had to be those evil cops who only want to charge nice people with Gun Crimes.. :-/

If you threaten with a weapon while committing robbery, isn't that armed robbery? If it turns out you did not have a weapon, then it is still armed robbery, but they cannot file weapons charges, right?

if you use ANY type of violence or resistance, or the threat thereof during the course of any theft, it is automatically upgraded to Robbery.... I've had shoplifters who normally would have been Given a Summons complaint and sent on their way end up with a $1500.00 bail because they kicked or slapped the Loss Prevention Gnome when they were stopped..generally over some tiny little $5.00 item.

This is in Roxbury Twp. FWIW, based on my sample size of one, the Roxbury PD is reasonably fair and level-headed. I have lived in the township for 18 years, with a few unusual encounters, and they always ended up doing the right thing.

What?! Me?!?! A LEO-ist?!?!?! I am NOT a LEO-ist. Some of my best friends are LEO! :8P:

Lighten up, Francis. I will NOT defend myself against charges of bashing LEO.

I was simply thinking about the Brian Aitken case when I wrote that.