The wife of someone that I work with is employed on a large horse farm in New Jersey. This person and his uncle plan on taking a variety of firearms (handguns and rifles legally owned by his uncle) to the farm to do some target shooting. They have the property owners permission. Is it legal to transport firearms to and from the farm? I thought that in New Jersey you were only allowed to transport firearms directly to and from a proper shooting range.

I thought that in New Jersey you were only allowed to transport firearms directly to and from a proper shooting range.

Handguns, yes (along with a few ather excepted places), long guns the same, unless you have an FPID, then you are GTG.

"Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the

purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all

cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner

specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the

provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments

thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder"

What is an "authorized place" ? is this land where the land owner has given me permission and it is legal to shoot there?

What is an "authorized place" ? is this land where the land owner has given me permission and it is legal to shoot there?

Good point - and logically, I agree with you. If you have the landowner's permission and you are not violating any local ordinances, then I would think this would be acceptable as "an authorized place" - but we do live in NJ.

That's what I'm thinking too, I thought that a "authorized place" to shoot would need to be deemed legal by some state authority and meet certain requirements, or does it mean if I know someone with a large piece of property I can go and shoot? Somehow I feel that if I am transporting a handgun and am stopped by a LEO for whatever reason that saying I'm going to my wife's employer's farm to shoot may not hold water.

It's sad that we have to have these discussions. I understand to local ordinances, but if you have authorization from the owner that should be enough, however you have to contend with LEOs interpretation and the courts interpretation.

It's sad that we have to have these discussions. I understand to local ordinances, but if you have authorization from the owner that should be enough, however you have to contend with LEOs interpretation and the courts interpretation.

originally there were reasons for the No-Discharge ords.... No matter HOW remote you are in Say, Hudson County, you probably arent going to have a reasonable safe place to shoot without a LOT of Expense for berms, ventilation (for indoor) and the like..the problem arises when you have Municipalities passing no-Discharge ords SOLELY because they dont want those icky Guns

The wife of someone that I work with is employed on a large horse farm in New Jersey. This person and his uncle plan on taking a variety of firearms (handguns and rifles legally owned by his uncle) to the farm to do some target shooting. They have the property owners permission. Is it legal to transport firearms to and from the farm? I thought that in New Jersey you were only allowed to transport firearms directly to and from a proper shooting range.

Haha... We did that as kids one time on a farm in Mt. Laurel. As usual, we'd bring 25 or so rifles mostly amongst the other places to shoot in at that time, tho none too many now. As usual, we had some BIG bore Civil War era rifles. FUN guns, we had "FID" cards and were all 18 or over of course.

How bout now??? Well I'd guess we all know what it'll be like to live in Europe.

My $0.02 - it's perfectly legal as long as the firearms are transported according to regulations. My wife's boss owns a large farm, on which he shoots his rifles, as the township where the farm is located has no "no-discharge" laws. I have an invitation to come up there and shoot one of these weekends, which I fully intend to do and it will be fully legal. As you are driving to this fun activity, I would assume the OP would not be driving under the influence, or excessively speeding. So I wonder, if you somehow get stopped by a LEO on your way to said farm, how would the legally stored firearms in your trunk come into the conversation? "Where are you going, sir?" would be a question from this hypothetical LEO, to which you would answer "To spend time on a friend's horse farm". It may, by some strange chance come to "Is there anything in the car that I should know about?" - the answer should be "No, Officer". WHY, oh WHY would you think that you would randomly get asked if there are firearms in the vehicle? The NRA & "We Don't Call 911" bumper sticker on your car? That's a bad idea, in my opinion. Unless you look shady, your car smells like drugs or something like that, you'll get your ticket or your warning and that will be all...

• Like 1

Only to a certain point. I would not want someone that lives 100-feet away from me target praticing in their backyard. That's why cities/towns have discharged laws.

Only to a certain point. I would not want someone that lives 100-feet away from me target praticing in their backyard. That's why cities/towns have discharged laws.

I think you are misinterpreting what I meant because I wrote it like an illiterate would. I agree with that and you have to abide by the local ordinance. I was taking into account there was no ordinance where the OP is going. Then there should be no reason this wouldn't be legal.

My $0.02 - it's perfectly legal as long as the firearms are transported according to regulations. My wife's boss owns a large farm, on which he shoots his rifles, as the township where the farm is located has no "no-discharge" laws. I have an invitation to come up there and shoot one of these weekends, which I fully intend to do and it will be fully legal. As you are driving to this fun activity, I would assume the OP would not be driving under the influence, or excessively speeding. So I wonder, if you somehow get stopped by a LEO on your way to said farm, how would the legally stored firearms in your trunk come into the conversation? "Where are you going, sir?" would be a question from this hypothetical LEO, to which you would answer "To spend time on a friend's horse farm". It may, by some strange chance come to "Is there anything in the car that I should know about?" - the answer should be "No, Officer". WHY, oh WHY would you think that you would randomly get asked if there are firearms in the vehicle? The NRA & "We Don't Call 911" bumper sticker on your car? That's a bad idea, in my opinion. Unless you look shady, your car smells like drugs or something like that, you'll get your ticket or your warning and that will be all...

This makes sense and is the way to handle this. All of these other "what-ifs" are just over-active imaginations IMHO. The following is NOT for you flicks:

Everyone seems to forget that individuals can sell hand guns (across the kitchen table) to each other, as long as the P2P is filled-out completely, all laws are obeyed and copies are mailed to PD & SP. So the Poor Slob driving up to the Horse Farm gets T-Boned and OMG, trunk pops open and hand guns spill-out into the street! Cop says "Where were you headed?", and you say to "Show my collection to a prospective buyer". Guns are bought & sold like that all of the time. Somebody likes one of my shotguns and offers to buy it. He pays me want I want, we do the COE and viola, it's his! How do I know he doesn't have a P2P in his desk drawer?

Stop borrowing trouble!

This makes sense and is the way to handle this. All of these other "what-ifs" are just over-active imaginations IMHO. The following is NOT for you flicks:

Everyone seems to forget that individuals can sell hand guns (across the kitchen table) to each other, as long as the P2P is filled-out completely, all laws are obeyed and copies are mailed to PD & SP. So the Poor Slob driving up to the Horse Farm gets T-Boned and OMG, trunk pops open and hand guns spill-out into the street! Cop says "Where were you headed?", and you say to "Show my collection to a prospective buyer". Guns are bought & sold like that all of the time. Somebody likes one of my shotguns and offers to buy it. He pays me want I want, we do the COE and viola, it's his! How do I know he doesn't have a P2P in his desk drawer?

Stop borrowing trouble!

While I agree the odds of having a problem are remote, doing this is technically illegal unless the buyer is an FFL or the sale is going to occur at an "authorized" range (I am not going to attempt to define authorized range). The sure legal way to sell handguns FTF is at the sellers residence (not the buyers), place of business (if they are the proprietor) or at a range.

I think you are misinterpreting what I meant because I wrote it like an illiterate would. I agree with that and you have to abide by the local ordinance. I was taking into account there was no ordinance where the OP is going. Then there should be no reason this wouldn't be legal.

Gotcha.