TheWombat

New Family Member - HK45

Well I can say that after shooting 175 rounds including 20 Speer Gold Dot I like the light LEM trigger. The initial pull is long but very light, however there is a short reset for the follow on shots. The Light LEM conversion also has double strike capability albeit the second strike will be with a much heavier trigger pull.

Recoil seems pretty gentle for a .45.

Looks like it will be a keeper!

TheWombat

Mr Wombat , looks like just Irishpete'swife's husband ( :) ) will be at LLNL II . Our little 9 month old is sick so I would not leave him with a sitter. Like any male , he is a bear when sick :)

Enjoy , look forward to catching up some other time!

Mr Wombat , looks like just Irishpete'swife's husband ( :) ) will be at LLNL II . Our little 9 month old is sick so I would not leave him with a sitter. Like any male , he is a bear when sick :)

Enjoy , look forward to catching up some other time!

Hope the little 'un gets better soon.

No doubt see you at some other GFH class in the future!

TheWombat

Having shot the HK45 a bit more then the PPQ trigger is much much better than the HK45 with the light LEM conversion. This is very evident if trying to do rapid follow up shots. It would be nice if Walther embraced .45 ACP as well as 9mm/.40 S&W in a striker fired pistol as it is clear Walther have got a very good striker fired trigger.

The most significant similarity in my view between the HK45 and PPQ is that both have a paddle magazine release, this was my main driver for getting the HK45 so I didn't need to worry about switching between button and paddle releases. So far switching between both firearms seems to be working well.

I like the HK45, it has light recoil and is easy to shoot, the only trouble at present is I am having some reliability issues after each range session of around 200 rounds. I will be trying different ammunition next time to see if that makes any difference.

TheWombat

Update on the HK45 after the first month of ownership and 980 rounds.

After 175 rounds the HK45 went 'click' instead of 'bang', racking the slide, trying a different magazine made no difference. At first I thought this was something as a result of the LEM conversion. Back home, I field stripped the HK45 and cleaned it. Using snap caps things seemed to be working ok. It looked like the issue may have just been due not having cleaned the firearm when it was NIB. I normally always strip, clean and relube all new firearms and just hadn't done this with the HK45.

The next range visit things went well with 74 rounds down range before switching back to the PPQ to check my one handed shooting following the issues I had at the GFH Low Light 2 class.

3rd range visit went well for 179 rounds until the dreaded 'click' instead of 'bang'. Back home it became clear that the firing pin was the issue.

IMG_0507.jpg

This time I took apart the firing pin assembly and gave it a good clean. In the last two days I've shot 560 rounds of the same ammunition as before without any dreaded clicks. My confidence in the HK is therefore increasing again.

While I'd rather not have had the issue, it gave me a good opportunity to get to know the HK45 better.

TheWombat

LOL - it's all sorted now. I did pick up and try the G21 yesterday while awaiting NICS.... hmmmmmmm :picknose:

:-)

TheWombat

wise choice

although it won't compare to your 1911, it'll do the job. The HK, I don't likes.

wise choice

although it won't compare to your 1911, it'll do the job. The HK, I don't likes.

Any specific reason you don't likes?

After 1000 rounds I find the light LEM trigger pretty ok (although PPQ trigger much better), the ergonomics pretty good, the recoil fairly gentle, and the main reason I chose it is the magazine release is a similar style to the PPQ.

I'm not sure they are worth twice the price of a Glock 21, Springfield etc.

TheWombat

I would have just called HK after the first "click". Let them make it right. (For what they're chargin'....)

(FWIW... I've over 1,000 rounds through my HK45c and zero issues. Love that gun. She and I don't have any trust issues. :D )

I would have just called HK after the first "click". Let them make it right. (For what they're chargin'....)

(FWIW... I've over 1,000 rounds through my HK45c and zero issues. Love that gun. She and I don't have any trust issues. :D )

Why go through the hassle and time to send it to H&K when it took me no more than 10 minutes to resolve myself? Doesn't make sense to me, particularly with the need to find a UPS drop off point etc.

TheWombat

Yes... it would suck to have to wait, etc. (I'm the impatient type... I would be clawing at the walls if I had to send mine in.)

But, in my head, if you're paying so much for a gun, if it has any issues... that pretty much defeats the whole reason HK thinks that they can charge so much. Reliability, dependability, whatever.

I'm glad you were able to fix it yourself and avoid the hassle though

Id take 1 HK over a basket of Glocks!!!!!!!!!!

MandM, keep in mind he converted the pistol from one varient to another. He did the work himself, so it makes perfect sense for him to double check the conversion. It also implies he is familier enough with it to trouble shoot it himself.