Kaiser7

Will the boom in gun sales benefit 2A rights?

I've been wondering about this lately. Most of you should know that the firearm industry has been booming lately. If you don't, this thread discusses it ( http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/33946-ruger-cant-keep-up-with-demand/ ) Anyway, I've been wondering if this is a good thing, or a bad thing in terms of 2A rights.

On the surface, more guns seems to indicate more people familiar with them, and who are interested in protecting 2A rights. But, at the same time, I worry that higher gun sales, particularly coupled with the current anger with the government, may cause politicians to really get worried about the populace being armed. I'm worried that huge sales figures will prompt Washington to push for tighter controls. Lately we've had some successes, with states passing CC laws and such, and I haven't heard of too much anti-gun legislation lately.

I just wanted to know what you guys think. Perhaps I'm missing something?

More people owning guns means that anti-gun agendas will become more & more of a political liability, as the number of individuals they directly affect & anger is growning at a rate that anti-gunners can't match. There will always be areas that remain backwards, but overall public support of gun control seems to be erroding more & more each day, likely because more & more have purchased a firearm and have some skin in the game.

I've been wondering about this lately. Most of you should know that the firearm industry has been booming lately. If you don't, this thread discusses it ( http://njgunforums.c...up-with-demand/ ) Anyway, I've been wondering if this is a good thing, or a bad thing in terms of 2A rights.

On the surface, more guns seems to indicate more people familiar with them, and who are interested in protecting 2A rights. But, at the same time, I worry that higher gun sales, particularly coupled with the current anger with the government, may cause politicians to really get worried about the populace being armed. I'm worried that huge sales figures will prompt Washington to push for tighter controls. Lately we've had some successes, with states passing CC laws and such, and I haven't heard of too much anti-gun legislation lately.

I just wanted to know what you guys think. Perhaps I'm missing something?

The politicians can worry. But being politicians, they worry about keeping their pockets lined with your money for one more term. More gun owners means more people to piss off.

Heck, even if you are just worried about violence against you, increasing numbers of owners also helps. You have to ask how many armed people are you pissing off.

AT one point, one of the DC RKBA type lobbyists wrote an article about the sales and importation figures when the ban hit causing quite a stir. Plenty of people thought they were attacking a marginal portion of a marginal segment of the public. We were importing pretty much everything on the planet we could to get around the ban. The purchasing power of the offended segment of the population caused notice. The fact they were pissed off enough to spend that kind of money caused people to take notice. The fact that that many people with that much money who were pissed off at their government were arming themselves to a degree that they were probably wielding more small arms with more supplies than most nations on the planet made them take notice.

People got worried about their votes and about their safety. I think many politicians were relieved when shooters just showed up at the voting booth to express their outrage.

I wish I still had the article, because the numbers were pretty staggering.

My form of activism has been to mint as many new gun owners as I could manage. A topic becomes much different when it is about YOU.

I think the only liability we acquire with more shooters is simply the chance for more accidents that can be bad press and attempts at knee jerk legislation of the form of <insert name here>'s law.

• Like 1

Are gun sales up here in NJ?

Last week when I purchased, I was told my NICS call was number 350 for the day (it was made around 7:30PM). Less than 5 minutes after my call, they called for another guy and he was 355. The gun shop sales staff were all commenting how that number was more than double of what they have seen in the past for a single day this time of year.

This all led into a store wide conversation about this being an election year and the fear of BO being re elected.

No. Obama will say there are already more guns than people, let's just slow it down, let everybody cool down. Moratorium on NICS until further notice by executive order. No new guns. There are already enough for everybody.

Most of the firearms industry goes out of business within months except for the big guys and ones with government contracts. All focus shifts away from commercial markets and towards .gov only.

No. Obama will say there are already more guns than people, let's just slow it down, let everybody cool down. Moratorium on NICS until further notice by executive order. No new guns. There are already enough for everybody.

In view of Heller that will fail the first court test and every one after that.

Maybe they will in 4 or 5 years. Maybe they give a mixed response like they always do.

Courts don't rule on the way the Senate conducts business, only the laws they pass. Are they eager to rule on Executive Orders? I've never heard of that, but I'm no expert. Exceutive Orders apply to the Executive branch. There are dozens of anti-2A executive orders on the books that have never been challenged that ban guns, ban imports, tell the ATF how they should interpret things, etc. None of which have any congressional authority.

Of course the president could tell ATF to put a temporary moratorium on NICS. And it would take years to reach a court that he would listen to, if any court would be willing to hear the complaint. Just because people couldn't buy guns in Jersey doesn't mean people in America couldn't buy, sell, and carry guns. Just that FFLs would be shut down. That's under the purview of the executive branch.

If a president issued an executive order telling the atf to stop running NICS checks there would be an injunction issued the next day, if not the same day. For things like that the courts can move quickly.

Later on there would be arguements to see if the order should stay though.

If a president issued an executive order telling the atf to stop running NICS checks there would be an injunction issued the next day, if not the same day. For things like that the courts can move quickly.

Later on there would be arguements to see if the order should stay though.

He just issued an executive order stating that in a state of emergency, as defined by him, he has complete dominion over all private property in the United States.

I think that is 1000 times worse than shutting down NICS.

He just issued an executive order stating that in a state of emergency, as defined by him, he has complete dominion over all private property in the United States.

No it doesn't say that, plus that order has been around for quite some time, a bunch of presidents have renewed it, Bush included.

No it doesn't say that, plus that order has been around for quite some time, a bunch of presidents have renewed it, Bush included.

Yes it does, and it was specifically changed by Obama to reflect what I said.

And I don't use Bush as a benchmark of freedom, not that it matters in this case.

How about you show me EXACTLY what Obama changed where it says what you say it does. Quotes please. I bothered to read the thing, and the differences, and me and everyone outside some of the places like infowars seems to be reading it the same way I do. I'm no fan of Obama, but I don't see where you see what you see.

I think the increase in gun sales can only help the cause. The more people with an interest in pro-gun legislation the better. Unfortunately we know most politicians only respond to one thing, GETTING RE-ELECTED! So the more of us out there the better.

I just hope that it's not the couple of thousand of us buying our 15th or 20th gun, but also many buying their first! :)

I think the increase in gun sales can only help the cause. The more people with an interest in pro-gun legislation the better. Unfortunately we know most politicians only respond to one thing, GETTING RE-ELECTED! So the more of us out there the better.

I just hope that it's not the couple of thousand of us buying our 15th or 20th gun, but also many buying their first! :)

Just last week I bought my first (thanks PK90), and got one of my friends to stop dragging his feet about applying for his FID and PPP, so there are definitely some new gun owners on the way.

Just cause there are new gun owners coming into fruition, doesn't mean it's a good thing for 2A rights. This is NJ. NJ is blue. 2A rights are not on the radar for a VAST majority of gun owners in this State, as witnessed a few years ago on this very forum.

That is exactly what I heard is happening. Of course, the link I read it from was, if i remember correctly, to some newspaper. Most likely that was just leftists trying to frighten their supporters into thinking the gun-guys were arming for something. Although, I know that because of me, at least two of my friends are in the process, or planning to get their FID, and after taking my friend, Midget, shooting, she wants to get one down the road (and I BELIEVE her mother may be wanting to pick something up as well.)

Just cause there are new gun owners coming into fruition, doesn't mean it's a good thing for 2A rights. This is NJ. NJ is blue. 2A rights are not on the radar for a VAST majority of gun owners in this State, as witnessed a few years ago on this very forum.

I was thinking more on the National Level, I doubt I'd be able to find stats that simply single out NJ gun sales. What do you mean, Cemetary Bob, about "2A rights not on the radar.... as witnessed a few years ago on this very forum"? What happened a few years ago.

I will agree with you. I know many people who own hunting firearms, and who don't realize just how strict NJ is. Growing up, I had been told you can only OWN a shotgun in NJ, which, only a few years ago did I find out that was false.

What do you mean, Cemetary Bob, about "2A rights not on the radar.... as witnessed a few years ago on this very forum"? What happened a few years ago.

There was a poll about where 2A rights were on peoples radar when it came time to vote. Only a handful of people admitted they voted along 2A lines. 2A issues, with the vast majority of people wasn't even in the top 5 voting concerns, and understandably, there are other fish to fry.

There was a poll about where 2A rights were on peoples radar when it came time to vote. Only a handful of people admitted they voted along 2A lines. 2A issues, with the vast majority of people wasn't even in the top 5 voting concerns, and understandably, there are other fish to fry.

Hmm... I usually vote based on the NRA's guide, though typically their recommendations are candidates I'd support anyway.