rtquig

Gun Transfer from relative.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but here goes:

My sisters husband died, - my brother-in-law.

She wants me to take all his weapons. I know there are at least 3 shotguns for trap, a 22LR, and I believe 3 handguns. How do I make a legal transfer since he is dead and she doesn't have a FID? I can see the handguns being a problem since I haven't applied yet for a handgun permit. I may not want any of the guns, I have never seen them. She knows he shot trap so those I could use. Depending on what type of handgun, I may or may not want them. Can she take them to a gun shop and legally sell them?

Thanks for the replies.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but here goes:

My sisters husband died, - my brother-in-law.

She wants me to take all his weapons. I know there are at least 3 shotguns for trap, a 22LR, and I believe 3 handguns. How do I make a legal transfer since he is dead and she doesn't have a FID? I can see the handguns being a problem since I haven't applied yet for a handgun permit. I may not want any of the guns, I have never seen them. She knows he shot trap so those I could use. Depending on what type of handgun, I may or may not want them. Can she take them to a gun shop and legally sell them?

Thanks for the replies.

There is no rush. She doesn't have to do anything with them as she is now the legal owner (if she is not a restricted person). She can hold them and sell them when ever she wants to.

Instate: For the long guns all buyer needs is NJ FID and COE. Handguns require purchase to have a permit for each one.

Out of state: FFL transfer required.

If you do like all 3 of the handguns , it should be easy to get an exception to OGAM . Just apply for the amount of PPS you need and apply for the exemption. She is allowed to hold onto them for you until you have all paperwork , as long as she is not restricted.

I don't know the answer as to her traveling to a gun broker , hopefully someone else does.

She is afraid of having the guns in her home. My nephew has no interest in them, so I will help her with them. Its no hurry, he died about a year ago and she would rather not hold on to them.

She is not restricted. She is the typical women that when she finally sells her car, it will be 15 years old and only driven to church. She walks to her job.

Thanks for the replies.

She doesnt need a FID card as she is the legal owner by inheritence but you know that,But she also does not need the card to sell them. She can bring them to a dealer to sell to them just make sure to follow the transport guidelines. Keep in mind if she wants to sell them on consignment at the dealer that she cant get them back without a permit. Why not help her sell them hear after you figure what your interest is?

She does not need a FID to transfer the guns to you. Of course you need one to receive them from her (since they were not explicitly willed to you). Why don't you buy her an inexpensive handgun safe that you can keep for yourself after the transfer happens. She can feel safer about the guns in her house until the time you can legally pick them up from her. The long arms you can get right away. Print out Certificate of Eligibility for each long arm and fill it out. You can go home with them on the spot.

will-if part of his residuary estate or if bequeathed to her, can make the transfer of the long guns to you if you have a FIC if she completes a certificate of eligibility and you have a DL, and FIC

no will, she needs to be appointed by the surrogate as administratrix of the estate and can transfer the long guns to you by completting the certificate of eligibility

handguns-either in the capacity of the personal representative (will) or appointed administratix can transfer to you one gun a month, provided for each gun, you have a handgun purchase permit and your DL and FIC