Stag Arms 3H Upper (pinned brake) @ $465

Optisan 1-4x24 (including mount) @ $149

Total = $713

Not included are the cost of:

Mags @ $22 each

Shipping @ $40 total

FFL Fee @ $35

Stock Pinning @ $5

I have limited time with the rifle but so far I'm very impressed. The quality of both the LW-15 lower & 3H upper are very good. I bore sighted the rifle @ 100 yards and that put me @ 10 o'clock on the 7-ring. Within a few shots the scope was spot-on and set to zero. The glass on the scope is very clear and has adequate eye relief. The scope has a circle reticle with a 1/2-MOA center dot. The reticle has both red and green illumination. The illuminated reticle was visible this afternoon, but my range is set up so the sun is at my back. I haven't tried it in direct sun yet. The magnification ring is very stiff. Hopefully that improves over time.

I plan on getting 100 or so rounds of PMC fed through this tomorrow and then I'll see how it handles my $0.20/rd Herters.

So for a total investment of $815 I have an AR-15 with a scope that hits the 10 ring. As long as it continuously fires ammo I'll be very pleased with the rifle.

That sounds promising, I've been looking for an etched/powered 1x4,

this is a great price point, undoubtedly.

look forward to seeing some more-sounds like the literal "home range" is coming together as well-to the envy of most! ;)

Dave T

do you think that mount would put the optics above a non-folding iron sight? I'm not expecting both to work at the same time, just trying to figure if I can get a quickly attachable scope mount and not worry about spending the extra money for folding BUIS

You're gonna look down one day and suddently realize that your "budget AR" seems to have acquired $500+ worth of attachements and new parts. Ask me how I know :D

LOL, how true! LOL! After I built mine recently, I found that I was still ordering stuff to upgrade or change out... and still find that I look at new accessories online just about daily! It's the dreaded Black Rifle Disease!

Here is a photo of my inexpensive AR

photo-36.jpg

What we have here is:

New Frontier Armory LW-15 Lower @ $99

Stag Arms 3H Upper (pinned brake) @ $465

Optisan 1-4x24 (including mount) @ $149

Total = $713

Not included are the cost of:

Mags @ $22 each

Shipping @ $40 total

FFL Fee @ $35

Stock Pinning @ $5

I have limited time with the rifle but so far I'm very impressed. The quality of both the LW-15 lower & 3H upper are very good. I bore sighted the rifle @ 100 yards and that put me @ 10 o'clock on the 7-ring. Within a few shots the scope was spot-on and set to zero. The glass on the scope is very clear and has adequate eye relief. The scope has a circle reticle with a 1/2-MOA center dot. The reticle has both red and green illumination. The illuminated reticle was visible this afternoon, but my range is set up so the sun is at my back. I haven't tried it in direct sun yet. The magnification ring is very stiff. Hopefully that improves over time.

I plan on getting 100 or so rounds of PMC fed through this tomorrow and then I'll see how it handles my $0.20/rd Herters.

So for a total investment of $815 I have an AR-15 with a scope that hits the 10 ring. As long as it continuously fires ammo I'll be very pleased with the rifle.

Very nice and Congrats! I hope it brings you years of fun at the range!

do you think that mount would put the optics above a non-folding iron sight? I'm not expecting both to work at the same time, just trying to figure if I can get a quickly attachable scope mount and not worry about spending the extra money for folding BUIS

The mount would not put the scope above an A2 sight. However, you would hardly notice the blur of the front sight at the very bottom on the scope. This will happen with most scope mounts.

The scope is marked for 55gr .223; so as long as you don't adjust the range by the markings, it should work just fine on a M&P15-22

The lower was not a kit. It came ready to fire for $99.

I like the trigger a lot, but that is a subjective and personal choice. NFA lists the pull at 4 pounds that sounds about right. There is zero slack and the break is almost instant. As a result the pull does feel a bit lighter then you'd expect 4 pounds to feel.

Followed his lead, after some additional research landed on the same lower and the Stag 2HT upper because I wanted free float quad rails and iron sights. With a little more than expected for shipping plus 5 15 round mags ordered here in the forums I should be right around 900. Will post pics when everything comes in!

Here are some views of the reticle of the Mamba:

No lighting:

photo-37.jpg

Red lighting:

photo-38.jpg

For some reason the photo didn't do the lighting justice. It's red in person. I can't see the green in full daylight.

Today was the first day I shot the rifle without a lead-sled. The lead-sled is a much better shot then I am :)

I shot about 100 rounds today using only a front bag. There was no rhyme or reason to my hits for the first 20 shots. Then I really began to concentrate and pull the rifle into me; making sure the stock was firmly in my shoulder, making sure that I had a good cheek-weld, and consistently supporting the area in front of the mag (but behind the hand grip). I began to get tighter groups (one 3-shot the size of a quarter) but none inside the 8 ring.

Finally, now that I have some more trigger time, a 4 pound trigger pull is too heavy for this rifle. Once I get my groups back in the 9 ring I'm gonna work on that trigger.