BD104X

M&P 9mm sight reccomendation

I just bought a S&W M&P 9mm a few weeks ago and I love the gun but for some reason I find the sights difficult to focus on & align when I aim. I shot a few similar guns before choosing the M&P and didn't experience this so I figure it cant hurt to upgrade the sights. I'm a relative newbie so I was looking for some suggestions as to which brand and why...

I just bought a S&W M&P 9mm a few weeks ago and I love the gun but for some reason I find the sights difficult to focus on & align when I aim. I shot a few similar guns before choosing the M&P and didn't experience this so I figure it cant hurt to upgrade the sights. I'm a relative newbie so I was looking for some suggestions as to which brand and why...

I like the Dawson Precision fiber optic front and black adjustable rear. Very easy to pick up your sights. The adjustable is not necessary, I just like it. My choice is based on gaming preference. For home defense, I would go with Trijicon night sights.

http://www.dawsonpre...ed+Front+Sights

http://www.dawsonpre...ack+Rear+Sights

Thanks for the input. No gaming, just home defense & range practice. I just find the factory sights hard to line up & focus on. I have very good eyesight and never experienced this with anything else I've shot, so I'm just hoping the factory sights just don't agree with me.

What is your most specific complaint about the factory sights? Are they too plain (plain black sights) and difficult to distinguish the front blade from rear notch? If so, some fiber optic, night sights or even a simple set of white dots could add some needed contrast. Or is your problem more with the precision? If sights are too big and clunky (many stock guns have big chunky blades and notches) or conversely too fine (older GI style sights were very minimalistic), it can be difficult to get a precisely aligned sight picture. A set of sights like those from Dawson for example, with a thin fiber front for visibility and precision and a plain black notch if medium width would give you a plenty of daylight on either side of the blade for alignment coupled with the contrast of the front dot for visibility makes for a very nice sight picture. Same can be achieved with a lot of different brands and types of sights whether its a simple painted front blade, true night sights, fiber optic or even the hybrids. Try looking at these various types of sights on some friends guns or at a gunshop with good variety and see what you like.

I went with serrated adjustable black rear and front sights from Dawson. I don't care for the fiber optic as much. I feel like it brings my point of aim/impact lower because I am focusing on the optic more than the top of the sight. I know that I could adjust it to correct, but it would throw me off on all my other guns, where I do focus on the top of the front sight. These sights are strictly range/game though.

For night sights, I feel like the Tru Glos I had on my Glock 34 were brighter than Trijicons. I would get them again if I wanted night sights.

Have you seen these sights from10-8 performance? They look pretty nice. I like the plain black rear and brass bead front.

http://www.10-8performance.com/products/S%26W-M%26P-Front-Sight.html

http://www.10-8performance.com/products/S%26W-M%26P-Rear-Sight.html

I got the Trijicon night sites on my M&P 40 (all green dots) Nice sites but I still have a little trouble lining up for quick shots.I think I would get blacked out rear sites if I decide to change.

Also get a Apex Tactical DCAEK to throw in while you have the rear sight off...World of difference

post-3097-0-83763700-1334282504_thumb.jpg

If you are relatively new and the gun is still new to you then I strongly suggest leaving the equipment alone and focusing on marksmanship fundamentals. The M&P sights are just fine and there is nothing particularly good or bad about them. It's possible you can have a preference for something different but I think the greater likelihood is that you will make a change and have exactly the same issue. In fact the change can create an unnecessary distraction and make it worse.

Have you had any formal training yet? Your money will be much better spent at that.

I definitely appreciate the advice, but it's not that I have any particular problem with the sights (that's what makes it hard to explain), I just don't find them "eye-friendly". I can shoot fine with the gun, I just feel like I have to concentrate on the sights too hard to do it. Before I purchased my M&P I shot an XD, Glock 19 & Ruger SR-9 and didn't experience this at all, and shot quite well with all of them but I just liked the feel of the M&P the best. I did notice that I didn't like the sights when I rented the M&P but I figured I could always change them so it was better to get the gun that I was more comfortable with in every other area. Not trying to really fix anything, just upgrade to something I like more. I also have to say that one of the things I like about this board is the knowledge & helpfulness without all the opinionated bashing other Internet boards always seem to have, so thanks again - I do appreciate the advice.

This issue is that there are a ton of different sight styles that emphasize different things. A wide rear notch allows faster targeting at the expense of accuracy, a narrower notch allows better precision but slower. Tritium allows better visibility in darkness or low light but has no effect in daylight. Fiber optic is great in daylight but no use in low light. Some like a bright painted front and others find it distracting. The ratio of front to rear width also affects speed vs. accuracy. Some like 2 dots in the rear for alignment at the expense of clutter and distraction, some a plain rear to focus on the front where it belongs, or a single rear dot for a compromise. Smooth vs. serrated. Red dots front and rear, red front with green rear, green front yellow rear and how about a white or silver ring around the green front? And don't get me started on square notch vs. U-notch, ledge vs. ramped and fixed vs. adjustable. Not enough space here.

You get the picture. So if you can get very specific about what is going wrong using the existing ones and describe the mission you want them to fulfill, we can do a better job recommending something. If you really cannot tell what the issue is then that's a sure indication you need to spend more time understanding the factors of sight picture. But speaking as someone who has wasted tons of time and money on equipment 'upgrades' as a beginner that proved to be no help, the wrong help or counter productive, I still think a new shooter should not even consider any modifications for at least a few thousand rounds.

No particular issue. I do remember the SR9 having a narrower back sight and I liked that better because I kind of feel like it made it easier to line up the front, but i dont remember if they were white dot type. I also like the idea of having the glow in the dark ones so I figured it couldn't hurt to upgrade.

OK, now we're getting somewhere. A narrower rear will give you a more precise sight picture and be easier to acquire in slow 'bullseye' fire. But if you ever plan to do shoot at speed for defense or IDPA/USPSA, you might find yourself needing a faster arrangement at the expense of bullseye accuracy. What's the mission for this gun? Bullseye shooting? Defense? IDPA/USPSA? etc?

Thanks again for all the info - all I intend to use it for is home defense and range shooting, don't see competition in the future. I didn't realize how general my question was but I guess like everything else in life there is more to it than I realized!

Thanks again for all the info - all I intend to use it for is home defense and range shooting, don't see competition in the future. I didn't realize how general my question was but I guess like everything else in life there is more to it than I realized!

I said the same thing. Then I went and checked out a USPSA match......

I have a Trijicon night sight on the front of my full size M&P9. I don't really like the sight picture I'm getting. I think it's too busy.

The rear sight is the factory S&W part - two white dots.

Next I am going to try a rear sight from 10-8 Performance to try to clean things up.

P1000934.jpg

P1000935.jpg

P1000936.jpg

P1000937.jpg

This is 10-8's rear sight....

04__37543_zoom.jpg

Update:

Thanks to all who weighed in. I went with True-Glo as per Chris at Bullseye Tactical. He suggested them because they work well in dark or light, and that sounded good to me. I went to the range yesterday and found it much nicer to shoot, and had no problem maintaining a nice tight group. As I said, I don't think there was anything wrong with the old sights, I just like these a lot better. Who knows, maybe it's just psychological, but the point is: I'm happy!

Chris @ Bullseyes price was good and he even went out of his way to put them on while I waited (despite being pretty busy) so I wouldn't have to make another trip. He seems like a very cool and knowledgable guy and you definitely feel like he appreciates your business.