dkal85

I have the ID card but need new permit

Back in 2009 I applied for a NJ Firearms Purchaser ID. I had fingerprints & a backround check done & received the ID card & a handgun permit. Unfortunately I didn't find a gun shop I was comfortable with and didn't buy a gun within the 90 days.

Now I found this board & a gun shop that I like. I'd like to purchase a handgun but am wondering if I need to go through the entire fingerprint/backround/reference check again.

Nothing has changed since my first application except that my former references do not wish to be involved this time around. Truthfully, the reference part is the hardest to get. For some reason many believe they can either get in trouble or will somehow be responsible if I do something wrong with the gun.

I live in Middletown Township and am wondering if I can just take my ID card to the police & receive a new handgun permit without jumping through all the hoops again.

Also, can a person who has a gun permit & ID purchase a handgun as a gift for someone else? I'd like to gift my husband with a gun. He also has a NJ Firearms ID but didn't get a permit to buy.

Thank you for your help.

Yes, you have to apply for a P2P for handguns. If I am not mistaken, if there was no purchase in two years, you may have to get the fingerprinting done again. But others can chime in on the clarification of fingerprinting. But yes, you have to apply for a permit for handgun purchase.

"Also, can a person who has a gun permit & ID purchase a handgun as a gift for someone else? I'd like to gift my husband with a gun. He also has a NJ Firearms ID but didn't get a permit to buy."

your husband will need a permit for the transfer.....

I live in Middletown, but have never let more than 6 months pass without purchasing a firearm, so I never had that concern. Go talk with the nice ladies in the basement of the municipal complex. Rose can help you. Permit waits have increased from 4-5 weeks to 6 weeks. Maybe it is the pre-election rush again. Do yourself a favor and order six permits. They are good for ninety days, and with the chief's signature, are good for another ninety. At $2 a pop, you are not putting yourself out much.

Minimum of $18 for backgroud check again, $2 per permit, gotta have the hubby do it also. You can't buy him a gun. You can pay for his gun if he has a permit. This state is rediculous!

I bought ALL our handguns, some under the wifes name, I can't use them without her being there. I will be slowly transfering the guns she doesn't want to my name and burning-up some permits to do so.

Did I say this state is REDICULOUS!

You only have to get fingerprinted once when you get your FID to establish an SBI record of your fingerprints, you don't have to be fingerprinted again, no matter the time frame. You will have to go back through the handgun purchasing process again with references and a criminal history, metal health and domestic violence check.

You only have to get fingerprinted once when you get your FID to establish an SBI record of your fingerprints, you don't have to be fingerprinted again, no matter the time frame. You will have to go back through the handgun purchasing process again with references and a criminal history, metal health and domestic violence check.

What's that?

Remember that all of the requirements posted in this thread are up to each individual agency. Some require re-fingerprinting, some require additional forms, none of this is the standard. It is up to each individual PD to determine what they require. No, I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is for now.

Actually each agency is not allowed to add requirements. If they do, you call NJSP and they straighten them out.

Not anymore. Now they tell you to get denied, and file an appeal, at which time they will step in and help.

Not anymore. Now they tell you to get denied, and file an appeal, at which time they will step in and help.

How do you willfully get denined? Refuse to submit any of the "extras" they demand?

How do you willfully get denined? Refuse to submit any of the "extras" they demand?

Basically. They tell you to refuse to fill out the paperwork, and should you get denied, appeal the denial, and then contact NJSP. Sorry, I should have been clearer.

Basically. They tell you to refuse to fill out the paperwork, and should you get denied, appeal the denial, and then contact NJSP. Sorry, I should have been clearer.

Yeah...that sounds like more of a PITA.

I just bought my first handgun last month. Sadly I only filed for one P2P with my FID application. If I apply now for more do I still have to submit references or can they just use the same info from my initial application since it is still brand spankin' new?

I just bought my first handgun last month. Sadly I only filed for one P2P with my FID application. If I apply now for more do I still have to submit references or can they just use the same info from my initial application since it is still brand spankin' new?

You will need the following everytime:

1. Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card/ Application to Purchase a Handgun (STS-033)

2. Consent For Mental Health Records Search (SP-66)

3. Request for Criminal History Record Information (SBI-212A)

4. $18 for Application and $2 per Handgun Permit to Purchase (SP-671)

Nothing else is required per law.

You have to submit reference again, they can be the same ones. The PD may or may not contact them again. I don't think Toms River contacts them again.