Jackruf

Timney Trigger for Mosin Nagant

Has anyone replaced the stock trigger on their Mosin with one of the aftermarket triggers such as the Timney? I know it it seems ridiculous to put a $100 trigger on a $100 rifle, but I am just getting into distance shooting and before I purchase a Remington 700 or the likes, I want to be sure I enjoy it. The trigger pull is so awful that it really does not give me a good feel for the sport.

I am uncomfortable from a safety perspective undertaking any of the trigger jobs shown on the internet. Besides, the money I will save practicing using 7.62 x 52R versus moving to .308 will go a long way paying back the cost.

Alternatively, are their any professional gunsmiths on the forum who have successfully improved the trigger pull who I should contact?

Thanks

depending on where you are I will give you a shout when I get off of the rig in 3 weeks. I will show you how to do a trigger job then if you are interested. WOW! a guy is getting $5 each for a trigger spring and a washer!

Nope more like 20,000 rims on a $500 car. Take your mosin apart and study the trigger mechanism. If you are mechanically inclined at all and know a bit about guns then you will quickly identify what needs to be done without the unsafe practice of limiting sear engagement. With about 5 minutes of work you can get a crisp 3lb trigger, modify some parts, think outside the box. There are a bunch of people on the board that have played with my triggers and all are absolutely amazed.

The mosin suffers from typical case of "russian trigger": Long, creepy, vague and heavy. The washer trick, while cheap and easy, doesn't really rectify the triggers' negative traits and simplistic design. The mosin really needs a slight geometry change to the trigger/sear engagement if you ever want anything remotely described as "crisp" lime most desirable triggers are. The Finnish army realized this and transformed the stock russian trigger to a 2-stage design with very minor changes to the trigger/sear angles in models such as the M39. Finding a M39 take-off trigger/sear isnt going to be easy as no one in thier right mind would part with it unless thier gun was otherwise junk. There is an old guide floating around the internet that is an excerpt of na old russian manual that described modifying and accurizing the mosin nagant and one part deals with reshaping the trigger/sear angles to get something like the 2-stage design the Finn's used. Its not for the feint of heart though as its easy to screw up and remove too much metal and make the gun unsafe (failing the "bump" test). The timney takes the mosin a step further and eliminates the native design for a propretary one of thier own that im sure is beyond anything you could get out of the stock components. I mean, the Finn's are nice, but not snapping like a glass rod nice. I've had russians and finns, i've bought extra triggers and sears to modify, i've done angle jobs and polish jobs, but none compare to what you;d get on a true precision rifle.

Some people balk at the price and say why spend $100 for a trigger on a $100 gun. But the reality is, The mosin is really a used $600 surplus gun that you got on deep, deep 40's era government discount and the Timney kit is a new production unit that you're paying 2012 prices for. If you don't want to buy it, fine, but to say its not inherently worth it isn't fair. Not fair to the gun and not fair to your shooting. If you think it will improve your shooting and make the gun more enjoyable, a hundred bucks sounds like a pretty nice deal!

As a collector I just don't like people bubbaing a piece of history. It's the same for other guns and things. I shake my head when I see a classic car with "24 rims and tv's all over it. Yes it is your gun and you can do as you please. Sometimes all it takes is for someone to just say think about what your doing. You want a great trigger and great accuracy? Buy a m39, Yugoslavian 91/30 sniper, or a original sniper. Don't just start filing, cutting, grinding, and changing. That's all i'm saying. Not trying to start a argument/war. Thanks.

Refining what is a despicable trigger on a Mosin could hardly be called "Bubba-ing" a gun. IMO it's no where near cutting stocks and barrels and sporterizing otherwise functional guns but hey, to each his own. You bought it with your money you do whatever the heck you want with it.

I put a Timney on an old Chilean Mauser Modelo 1912. If you love the rifle, what is is worth to you to have a decent trigger on it, especially if you shoot it a lot? I had to really hog out the stock to fit the Timney on there, but it really is pleasure to shoot now.

If you want to go for it! I would take the chance and do a trigger job yourself and you will learn about how triggers work. If you screw it up get another trigger or buy a timney. I did this to mine and its a ton better then before and cost me nothing,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlsxqR_keM

Iraqveteran is on the right track but I dont like using grinders or power tools for sear work.  You really take a chance of changing the characteristics of the steel by overheating.  I am not talking about red hot but you are dealing with a thin piece of metal so I just use a file.  Also thinning the sear works wonders, thinning the width takes up creep and thinning the thickness of the spring lowers pull, with a little work I got my "target" mosin down to 1.6 lbs.  I didn't want to go any lower, and yes there are a ton of other people that have shot the gun that can verify.  Once of the worst things you could do is add a shim or spacer between the sear and the receiver.  You are limiting sear engagement and have a great possibility of making the gun unsafe in a hurry. 

I am not responsible if you screw up your gun or make it unsafe, use at your own risk.  And I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I am an apprentice gunsmith.....