Yotafan

Complete upper advice

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_24_41&products_id=207

I am in the process of trying to build my first AR. The only thing i believe i have left to order is an upper. Since this is my first build i am going with a complete upper. I really like the way the Yankee Hill Machine 7820 upper looks(already ordered a brake that has been shipped). I found a site that has it in stock for $839 and just am contemplating on pulling the trigger.

Can someone recommend me something similar or should i just go with this.

Thanks

Ed

it would be worth your while to do some research first. sign up for a membership on the m 4 carbine.net site (imo ar15.com is so big and cluttered that it is hard to filter out the noise there), and do a lot of reading. you get a good feel there for what products are reliable and what ones arent. While I understand that everybody wants a cool looking rifle, there is no reason it shouldn't be well functioning too.

Yota,

Im actually in the same boat as you, just had to put the purchase on hold until the house purchase process is done and we have recovered from that hit. I have been doing research for a while and will prob end up going with a BCM myself when the time comes.

You really gotta figure out what you want. plinking? optics? barrel length? weight? budget? You can go cheaper, hand guard/ FSB or spend more on a free float rail setup.

I went as far as making an excel sheet listing different categories, options, pricing, weight, etc.

Take your time, make the right purchase the 1st time.

Thanks Wayne

I personally am a fan of the free float rail. My father recently got a Bushmaster with the FSB and i know i can take that any time i want. I really just want it for plinking, figured after i built it i would join central jersey. I already have a spikes stripped lower, a spikes lpk should be delivered tomorrow or Friday with my muzzle brake and Magpul ASAP. I already have my Magpul prs stock w/ buffer and spring, over a case of .223 and 10 15/20's pmags thanks to the group buy.

Ed

Guys, It's easy to get confused and and come to a standstill when trying to lay out a rifle. IMHO you can't do anything wrong.

Shoot other peoples rifles and see what you like. But as your wallet permits, just jump in and shoot. We all spend too much time agonizing.

It certainly won't be the last rifle you buy and if you don't like something it's always marketable as long as you don't build something too expensive or oddball.

Just $.02

Guys, It's easy to get confused and and come to a standstill when trying to lay out a rifle. IMHO you can't do anything wrong.

Shoot other peoples rifles and see what you like. But as your wallet permits, just jump in and shoot. We all spend too much time agonizing.

It certainly won't be the last rifle you buy and if you don't like something it's always marketable as long as you don't build something too expensive or oddball.

Just $.02

I actually bought a couple lowers and figured i would get this first one built and see how i like it. Then for my 2nd AR i would maybe either part out my 1st with the pieces i like or just buy the same parts for the rifle. Also was thinking this would be more of a tactical rifle and the 2nd or 3rd would be more of a longer range sniperish rifle.

Of course these are just ideas i have in my head that i haven't really shared with my wife so we will see how the funds for all of this goes. But on the bright side i got approval for the my 1st upper. lol

Thanks

Ed

it would be worth your while to do some research first. sign up for a membership on the m 4 carbine.net site (imo ar15.com is so big and cluttered that it is hard to filter out the noise there), and do a lot of reading. you get a good feel there for what products are reliable and what ones arent. While I understand that everybody wants a cool looking rifle, there is no reason it shouldn't be well functioning too.

I would also follow lunker's advice. There's a lot of good information on m4c. For that kind of money, you should be able to get a top tier upper.

You could check out Bravo Company as Dan suggested. Just gotta remember, their uppers don't come with a BCG or CH. Set aside another $130-$160 for the BCG and $40 if you like the BCM Gunfighter CH's.

http://www.bravocomp...-Group-s/27.htm

Rainier Arms has a couple of Daniel Defense uppers in stock.

Not too much more than what you're looking at. And they come with BCG and CH.

http://www.rainierar...s_danieldefense

Links busted

Oops , here http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-BFH-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20ddl12.htm

I have the 14.5" version, it rocks. Whatever you pick, I'd go with a mid-length gas system.. or of course rifle length if going for a longer barrel over 20". They feel smoother and more mellow in operation versus the carbine length gas systems.

I did me lots of research for my first build. Best places I have seen with great upper builds that can also do the work for pinning are:

Riflegear.com

RainierArms.com

Smartgunner.com (build your own upper option, with pinned brake, etc)

Personally, I ended up with a midlength, 11" VTAC TRX railed 14.5" Riflegear CHF upper with a pinned & welded BattleComp 1.5. Love it.

* Also of note, Riflegear's upper set that I purchased came complete with a mil-spec charging handle and BCG. I think I've also got an H1 buffer running in mine.