Kaiser7

Painting an AR, what to use?

Since I spent 9 years in an art school, and am considering getting a zombie lower, I figured that I may color it in (after all, the red biohazard symbol looks badass). I was wondering what type of paint you guys would recommend. I don't want anything that's a spray paint since I can't control the spray as easily as I can control a brush, but I wasn't sure what would be durable and good to use.

If you plan on doing that, and want to get a head start on the template, I think their is a full scale image of the workable space on the magwell in the njgf lower thread.

If you plan on doing that, and want to get a head start on the template, I think their is a full scale image of the workable space on the magwell in the njgf lower thread.

I'm actually designing a stencil right now. I want a little "German flair" to it, but I can't figure out what I should have below the biohazard symbol. If I should simply have, "Untoten" or something like, "Achtung! Zombies" or something. I'll likely do both sides of the magwell.

For color fill I've seen people using nail polish, crayons, all sorts of things. There are many tutorials out there, look for "ar color fill" or something like that.

But none of them will be as durable as Duracoat. But now that I think about it, the reason you can't brush it on is that its extremely thin. But maybe that would make it great for color fill? Use an eye dropper and let it run into all the grooves? Just a thought.

For color fill I've seen people using nail polish, crayons, all sorts of things. There are many tutorials out there, look for "ar color fill" or something like that.

But none of them will be as durable as Duracoat. But now that I think about it, the reason you can't brush it on is that its extremely thin. But maybe that would make it great for color fill? Use an eye dropper and let it run into all the grooves? Just a thought.

Problem is there likely won't be any grooves, since it's been a pain finding a zombie AR lower, so I'm going to paint my own design on it myself.

Then mask and airbrush would probably look better than paintbrush anyway. Get yourself some of that masking paper that will feed through a computer printer and x-acto it in place? If you are working your stencil on the computer you're 90% done

Then mask and airbrush would probably look better than paintbrush anyway. Get yourself some of that masking paper that will feed through a computer printer and x-acto it in place? If you are working your stencil on the computer you're 90% done

Designed the stencil, just have to cut it right. I need to pick up an X-acto knife, since the razor blade I was using wasn't thin enough for such a small stencil. I guess I could just throw some painter's tape over the rest of the rifle when painting? The otehr thing is, do they make duracoat in colors other than camo?

There's a crapload of color available http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=610 and unless you're buying an uncommon color you can frequently find the kits cheaper from other vendors for some reason.

I put a trash bag over my rifle, cut a square around the work area and taped just the edges with duct tape. I knew the tape wouldn't ruin the finish and I wanted to be damn sure there was no seepage under the tape edges.

There's a crapload of color available http://www.lauerweap...category_ID=610 and unless you're buying an uncommon color you can frequently find the kits cheaper from other vendors for some reason.

I put a trash bag over my rifle, cut a square around the work area and taped just the edges with duct tape. I knew the tape wouldn't ruin the finish and I wanted to be damn sure there was no seepage under the tape edges.

Yeah, I plan to put it on the magwell on the lower receiver. I think I may use a more conventional paint on the stock, and put the Prussian flag on. I thought it would be cool to see how I could do it haha. I like art, and guns, and combining the two will be a fun project for me.