I attended this class yesterday at the GFH Academy at the Essex County Police Range in Cedar Grove. The sum total of my AR experience was a couple of hundred rounds or so through my Stag Arms Model 2, mostly trying to figure out how to get on target. The gun is unmodified as it came from the factory, with the exceptions that I added a single point sling (as required for the class) and an inexpensive Bushnell red dot optic.

Here's the course description:

The GFH Level 1 Tactical Carbine Program will serve as an introduction to employing the carbine from an urban setting out to 50 yards. The class is designed for the new shooter or any shooter wishing to take their currant skill set to the next level. The student will be introduced to various shooting positions using the Carbine and the progress into high level shooting drills. The day will end with an introduction to building search and room clearing. This course also serves as a prerequisite to our Advanced Level 2 and 3 Carbine courses. Topics Covered to Include Fundamentals of shooting Proper Grip and Stance Gear Selection and Placement Reloading (Admin, Emergency, Tactical) Movement Drills Shooting on the Move Proper Use of Cover Failure to Stop Drills Multiple Targets Multiple Threats Different Ready Positions React to Threat Drills Introduction to Building Search and Room Clearing Equipment needed: M-16, M-4 Series Rifle/Carbine. 400 Rounds factory ammo. 3 Magazines, magazine Holders. Sling, eye and ear protection. Knee pads

We started with some basic dot drills to familiarize us with shooting,scanning afterward, and manipulating the safety. We then moved into firing from the various ready positions. Next we went into emergency and tactical reload drills. After that, it was shooting on the move, followed by moving between shots while engaging multiple treats. Finally, we concluded with shooting from behind cover.

There were six of us in the class, and almost everyone else had AR's they had custom built with Jimmy in GFH's Build a beAR program. There were very few glitches, other than those that were operator induced. I should note that I put around 300 rounds through my Stag Arms AR, and it was flawless.

In all, the class lasted for four hours, with all but the first half hour or so of it on the range. Joe was the lead instructor. As always, he was informative, lively, and tremendously helpful, even when he was yelling at us. He was assisted by Jimmy, who did a good job of attending to the details and helping to keep us safe.

This was a good entry level class for someone looking to gain some basic familiarity with the tactical use of an AR. I should note that I was greatly aided by having attended all three levels of Uban Pistol training, as the concepts were almost identical, the only difference being the weapon system. I'm looking forward to level 2!

I really wanted to take that class, I just finished building my AR with Jimmy. But alas I am away on business. Do you know when the next time they are offering that again? I looked at their calendar and did not see it. I even just picked up a sling recently. Just need a good pair knee pads now.

Stagehand, it's a pretty popular class, and one they offer frequently. If it's not on the schedule now, it will be soon. You might want to shoot a note to Anthony to ask him about it.

You will definitely need your sling, but you can probably get by without knee pads. The only time we needed them was for shooting from behind cover, and even at that, for this level one class, kneeling was optional.

IPW: Yes, I think you and Pete would enjoy this. IIRC, you guys have a cx4 storm?

Anyone know how this would compare to ??????

Probably a tough question to have answered, most people if they took it at one school I would think they wouldn't take the same class over at another one.

That and this question while valid is probably not good to shall we say put one Forum Vendor against the other.

I would probably say, they are both great and each have their advantages and disadvantages and the only other comments you may see if Vendor support.

I know who I would recommend hands down, but that wouldn't be fair to the other vendor being I have never take any classes with them.

The help prevent any repeat gang scenes I will chime in here. Every school is different and you cannot compare apple to oranges. I have never looked at a course of fire for MDTS but I can say that like GFH I have never seen anything negative written about them. Most schools are taught by people with a deep rooted passion and it reflects in their track record and following. When I got into this game thirty years ago I sought instruction from every source possible and it helped define me and my school today. I do not believe there is any one way or dogmatic style that is best, we should all pull from every training source and school and develop what works best for us.

Anthony

Probably a tough question to have answered, most people if they took it at one school I would think they wouldn't take the same class over at another one.

That and this question while valid is probably not good to shall we say put one Forum Vendor against the other.

The help prevent any repeat gang scenes I will chime in here. Every school is different and you cannot compare apple to oranges. I have never looked at a course of fire for MDTS but I can say that like GFH I have never seen anything negative written about them.

Anthony

I'm sorry for any confusion on this. It was not my intention to look for who is "better" or which one would be recommended since I have read reviews on both schools and they seem to both be top notch.

The questios was more geared towards differences in the ciriculum or overall concept of the class or differences in drills.

Again, I apologize if it was taken the wrong way or if I've opened up a can of worms.

Checker, there was a firestorm of controversy on a similar subject a few months ago, hence the sensitivity.

To answer your question, GFH's four hour Urban Carbine 1 would probably be roughly equivalent to the MDTS Carbine 1, or the first half of the full day class. I have found that if I'm training with a weapon system with which I am unfamiliar, a full day class can be overwhelming, but maybe that's just me.

I plan to take UC 2&3 at GFH, and the MDTS class as well. If your time and resources permit, I would suggest you consider doing the same.

Checker, there was a firestorm of controversy on a similar subject a few months ago, hence the sensitivity.

To answer your question, GFH's four hour Urban Carbine 1 would probably be roughly equivalent to the MDTS Carbine 1, or the first half of the full day class. I have found that if I'm training with a weapon system with which I am unfamiliar, a full day class can be overwhelming, but maybe that's just me.

I plan to take UC 2&3 at GFH, and the MDTS class as well. If your time and resources permit, I would suggest you consider doing the same.

Ahh. I see. Thanks. I will end up taking them both im sure

Ahh. I see. Thanks. I will end up taking them both im sure

I'm sorry for any confusion on this. It was not my intention to look for who is "better" or which one would be recommended since I have read reviews on both schools and they seem to both be top notch.

The questios was more geared towards differences in the ciriculum or overall concept of the class or differences in drills.

Again, I apologize if it was taken the wrong way or if I've opened up a can of worms.

No worms at all my man. Just trying to inform you. Train and train again!

Regards

Anthony

i'll add this about MDTS. his carbine course is geared towards using the AR as a home defense weapon, as apposed to a main battle rifle. the differences are very slight, and the majority of the differences are in theory and mindset, as apposed to the physical training. that being said, im sure there are still vast similarities between gfh and MDTS. moving/shooting, positions, use of cover, reloading, transitions, etc.

I just signed up, Im looking forward to it :)

See you there!

I plan to attend GFH's CCW class that same afternoon, so perhaps we will cross paths.

I was thinking of doing the CCW class as well...have to see how much money my wife will let me spend :-)

post-3799-134212675232_thumb.jpg just zeroed my scope today for the class. I did it at RTSP and one of the guys who works there said he is taking the class too.

Nice. I don't know if I will get the chance to adjust the sights before the class. I was working on it last week at Cherry Ridge and had a bad jam up. It’s fixed now but still need some adjustment. Was hoping to get a EO Tech sight before class as well but my truck broke down and there goes the money I had saved for a sight.

Hey does anyone have pictures of us from the class yesterday? I say someone taking pictures and I would love to get a copy of them.

Also is was cool to see so many people from the forum there. Definatly a very cool class. Got a lot out of it.

Hey does anyone have pictures of us from the class yesterday? I say someone taking pictures and I would love to get a copy of them.

Also is was cool to see so many people from the forum there. Definatly a very cool class. Got a lot out of it.

email [email protected] for pics.

Anthony

What about us, AK owners? Does one have to use an AR for this class?

We could do an AK only class. It is different because of the differences in the platform therefore many of the drills are very different.

Anthony