lunker

Balancing a front heavy rifle

I am a fan of Saigas, but IMO they are front heavy like most of their brethren. I bought the VLTOR AK stock tube adaptor and will be having a Magpul CTR permanently pinned to it in the short position. The VLTOR tube has a storage compartment (since it's not an AR buffer tube with a spring in it). I would like to fill it with something that has enough weight to help balance the rifle better.

The storage compartment can be accessed by popping off the stock and unscrewing an end cap. Unfortunately the People's Republic of New Jersey, in its infinite wisdom, frowns upon rifle configurations that might actually help fit multiple users. So my predicament is that I must choose a filler medium and be happy with it because I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO CHANGE IT AGAIN due to the permanent nature of pinned stocks. I will be able to test at my FFL for fit and balance, then forever hold my peace.

Obviously I want something that will be sufficiently heavy, but also not be shifting and sloshing around. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Does adding weight to the back end actually provide any realistic benefit? I mean, the "balance" changes, but the rifle is just overall heavier. I agree the front heavy thing is annoying but without being able to truly change the weight distribution while keeping the same overall weight, both the front *and* the back are going to feel heavy now?

To me the overall balace is more important than the weight, up to a point of course. If adding 1 lb to a light rifle would shift the center of gravity much closer, it is a tradeoff I would take.

Lead shot in epoxy. Pours in easy, fills weird spaces, turns solid with epoxy. You could probably pack 3lbs in that sucker easy

Thanks Glenn, although i suspect that would be a bit overweight.

Now I am considering all the things I could stuff in there. Maybe twinkies. Just enough weight, and non-perishable food for if my rifle ever broke.

Many of us competition high power shooters have a lead wedge (weighing about 3 pounds) in the "storage" compartment of the A2 buttstock on our AR Service Rifles.

Some use molded half-round lead weights in the lower handguard to add front weight

The ideal balance point is between the hole in the carry handle and the delta ring

Not owning a Saiga, I don't know how this translates to that platform, but it works very well for competition ARs, which tend to weigh in at about 14 pounds