DFNS111

FFL required for out of state uppers?

Hello. New member here from Bergen county. Longtime gun owner here just getting back into it with an AR build. Small CNC machine shop. Was going to complete some 80% lowers but a call to NJ State police nixed that. So I recently purchased some stripped lowers from out of state and transfered through a local FFL. I am now looking at uppers and am wondering if uppers purchased online off gunbroker need to go through an FFL as well. Most places say they need to. I thought just the lowers did, but perhaps because it is from out of state they need to? I have searched around this site for clarification, and have also read through the NJ gun laws post, but remain unsure. What exactly is the deal with uppers in state vs out of state regarding FFL transfer. Also any good instate places that might stock them? I'd love to take a drive and just pick it up. Thanks.

welcome.gif

Only lowers must be bought from an instate dealer. Everything else can be shipped to your residence.

Thank you for the quick answer. Thats what I thought. But yet I see "FFL required" on GB auctions for uppers. I guess it's just their policy and not state law.

Welcome!

Maybe the GB vendor has some standard boilerplate policy crap listed in the ad. Lots of other places to buy quality uppers from if you can't find what you want on GB. Check out Midwest PX (forum sponsor), Bravo Company, and Palmetto State Armory for instance.

Thank you for the welcome and the advice. The dealer emailed me and said no FFL needed. Must have been a standard listing typo. I hear you about the "Constructive Possession" point. I have a couple of Spikes Zombie lowers and was looking at a Spikes upper

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=286618588

No idea if thats a good price. I don't know a whole lot at what Im looking at just yet.

I plan on replacing the A-2 FH and pinning and welding a muzzle brake such as this one:

http://www.egwguns.com/ar-compensators/ar-comp-post-ban-gen-ii-carbine-w/peel-washer/

to keep the look but stay compliant. I will also pin the stock. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to drop off the lowers to my FFL until I finish the modifications. Just in case.

Three things I would suggest... all IMO, use the info for what it is...

Look for a mid-length when building a carbine AR, lots of pro's , no con's that I can think of. For one they tend to be less harsh on the gas delivery to the BCG, and just makes for a smoother and nicer shooting AR.

Consider a contoured barrel (smaller under handguard, heaver at the end) other than the "government profile" that has the grenade launcher cut out. Unless you think that you will mount a grenade launcher in the future. Otherwise, it is debated how having the cut could affect the rifle... but you don't see too many rifles built for accuracy having stuff like that.

Consider looking at hammer forged barrels as opposed to button formed rifling barrels. Look for plus type things MP and HP inspected. That spikes says it is an FN built barrel, and from what I know, FN only makes hammer forged barrels, but I could be wrong.

Good luck!

Most sellers won't ship pre ban uppers to ban states (NJ), and your FFL probably won't take the lowers back because he would have to NICS them back to you when you pick them up unless you brought them there for some kind of repair, but what repair could you do on a stripped lower? Your best off buying a post ban upper, which you can get from direct from some manufacturers, Midway or many other sellers.

Most sellers won't ship pre ban uppers to ban states (NJ), and your FFL probably won't take the lowers back because he would have to NICS them back to you when you pick them up unless you brought them there for some kind of repair, but what repair could you do on a stripped lower? Your best off buying a post ban upper, which you can get from direct from some manufacturers, Midway or many other sellers.

Constructive possession only applies if all the parts needed to make an AW are in your possession. If the only evil feature the upper has is a flash hider, take the pistol grip off the lower, give it to a friend while you nueter the upper, take it back once you have the upper.

Constructive possession only applies if all the parts needed to make an AW are in your possession. If the only evil feature the upper has is a flash hider, take the pistol grip off the lower, give it to a friend while you nueter the upper, take it back once you have the upper.

I hadn't thought of that. I don't even have a pistol grip yet, and really want the flexibiliity of doing my own modifications. As long as I don't have the evil three all at once and keep the mags 15 or less. I'll do the lowers last.

I have looked at buying non compliant rifles, having the lower shipped to my FFL, and the upper to me for modification. I asked the State police and they said that's fine. Now, where is that Scar17.

I have complete uppers shipped to my friend's house (that has a threaded barrel, flash hider, bayo lug etc). I then pick it up from there, and go directly to my gunsmith along with my muzzle brake of choice for pinning and removal of the bayonet lug. It avoids the whole constructive possession thing. If you plan on doing the work yourself, just leave the lower at home, pick up the upper from a friend, and take directly to your shop to do the work.