Plasma133

FOID employment question

I'm currently self employed and always bill 1099. However, my current client wants me to go on to their payroll. I think I'm technically an employee, but I'm still a freelancer.....so, I'm confused. I've always put self-employed on my applications for P2P and the NJFID.

I would rather continue this practice since in my mind I'm self-employed and I don't see the benefit of notifying a client company if my term of service is transient.

What would you do?

I just graduated, but every time I went for a P2P I put "Student" down. Local PD took it, I also went with my tuition statement just as further proof, but they never asked for it.

Do we need to have an employer on the application? I return to college in the Fall and where I'm working is only temporary.

Thank you,

Plasma133

Just put "Student", as that's what my now 22 year-old son did when he first went for his NJFID 4 years ago! "Student" works just fine!

Dave

Has anyone encountered retribution from an employer over this? I live in woodbridge and I don't know how they contact or what they ask. Ive certainly read horror stories on here about the PD asking the employer if THEY think you shouldn't have a handgun. I think that's BS!

I work in the bastion of the TV industry. I can only imagine what they would do to me if word got out that I am a *gasp* gun owner.

Do NOT put self-employed unless you are self employed. If you get a W-2 you are not self employed. 1099 you are. If you are student put student. if you are unemployed put unemployed.

Not true. I am self-employed, yet I also receive a W-2 every year. My company is a corporation and I receive a salary just like the rest of my employees. I am the boss, so that makes me self-employed.

Has anyone encountered retribution from an employer over this? I live in woodbridge and I don't know how they contact or what they ask. Ive certainly read horror stories on here about the PD asking the employer if THEY think you shouldn't have a handgun. I think that's BS!

I know this is little comfort, but, the employment info is to be used for employment verification ONLY. Some PD's abuse this and treat the employer as another reference. Being an "employment at will" state, it would be tough to prove any damages.

You have to take your chances - supply the correct information (abide by the law) and hope your PD does it right. Or lie on the form and open yourself up to criminal prosecution.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Wishing I used those permits before they expired. *facepalm*

How long ago did they expire? If you are still within the 180 day from date of issue window, some PD's will still extend them even after the 90 day expiration has passed.

They're definitely within the 180. Thrive either just passed 90 or are just about to pass. I'm double checking tonight. Il try to extend if necessary tomorrow ... And go shopping on Saturday for a 9mm

I'm thinking cz85(ambi), fns9(ambi), or a used s&w if I can find.

Who's got the best used rack in central NJ?

I just held a CZ 85 (black) in 9mm yesterday at Bobs Guns in Norfolk. Good choice.

I'm left handed, but my wife is righty. I'd like a full ambi or at least an ambi safety. FNS9 is fully ambidextrous, but I'm hoping for a steel frame.

Norfolk? NJ?

As a college student I have put unemployed on my form for initial FPID (not 21 yet so no handguns unfortunately). Putting unemployed isn't a mark against you, just one less step for the PD