deadeye74

Georgia Hog Hunting

Does anyone here have experience hunting hogs? My soon to be southern in laws have given me an open invitation to come hunt hogs on their farm in Georgia. I recently purchased a Ruger Super Redhawk .44mag with 7.5" barrel to take when I go. In reading articles and posts all over the Internet, it seems there are two preferred rounds to use when going after hogs. They are both semi jacketed soft points, either 240 grain or 300 grain. I'm practicing with Fiocchi 240 grain now since they seem to be more affordable. I'm going to be trying some Hornady 300 grain XTP soon. Anyone have any input on this?

Also, can anyone recommend a half decent pistol scope?

Why not consider hunt with a rifle?

I know nothing about hunting with a 44rem, but I am in the process of planning a hog hunt. I am pretty sure that down south, you can hunt cheap for hogs. Obviously, you are doing it for free :D

I did pick up a lupold scope today. Will be sighting it in very soon.

I chose hand gun hunting for both the challenge and the fact that the pistol takes less room in the car than a rifle. Now it's just a matter of bullet weight and brand. This may be my excuse to start loading my own ammo!

Taken Hogs with a couple of different calibers from .223 to 30 06 keep in mind the vitals on pigs are set back a little the heart is a little low just behind the the body armor so its more about placment than caliber. I took this beast with a 30 06 shot behind the ear broke his spine finished him with a S&W 357. 300+ pounds. Hog hunting is one of the most exiting things ive ever done thats why i keep going back. Good luck & have fun. Keith

post-3215-0-37612500-1338646442_thumb.jpg

Taken Hogs with a couple of different calibers from .223 to 30 06 keep in mind the vitals on pigs are set back a little the heart is a little low just behind the the body armor so its more about placment than caliber. I took this beast with a 30 06 shot behind the ear broke his spine finished him with a S&W 357. 300+ pounds. Hog hunting is one of the most exiting things ive ever done thats why i keep going back. Good luck & have fun. Keith

That's a pretty pig!!!

I'm hoping to make this a yearly trip. From what I was told, my in laws and the surrounding farmers often bring in hunters a few times a year to help protect the crops. I'm looking at going down in the fall.