M4BGRINGO

Any experience with Ruger revolvers?

A friend just gave me a lot of .30 Carbine ammo. I see there aren't a lot of guns designed to use this ammo. I do like revolvers and see that Ruger has a Blackhawk for this particular round. Anyone here use it before?

The Rugers grips look more like Cowboy stuff to me. I have a lot of S&W's and I am used to their frames and grips. Any first-hand comparison between the different frames?

I think my FFL has a few of these odd-to-me-looking Rugers that I can go hold and see if it is something I would actually look for. I found a lot of these on Guns America and Gun Broker for sale.

be sure to try the cowboy grips. I wanted to like them but found them too short for my hand.this ended up causing the base of the grip to dig into the heel of my hand when shooting stout loads. I much prefer the Bisley grips.

Mike, the grip is just one of the differences between a S/A gun and a D/A one. They are referred to as "plowshare" grips. They distribute recoil a little differently than a D/A gun. A single action, with plowshare grips, will tend to roll in your hand under recoil. Not unpleasant, just different. I have found that the Bisley grip is a bit more to my liking, but I doubt they make the .30 carbine in the Bisley configuration. Single actions are a lot of fun, just slower to load, unload and shoot. There are cowboy action games (although the .30 carbine is really unsuitable for them) and metallic silhouette - for which it may be a good match. May be a little iffy on the 60 lb 200 yard rams.

Great way to burn-up .30 carbine ammo, especially since we're not allowed the gun it was designed for.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

They were big in the eighties and early nineties. They made pistols from .22 up to .50 AE, and were reported to be pretty nice. My uncle owned a few and raved about them often. I believe the company is off line now, but there are still many offerrings floating around. That's a six and a half inch slide, which is why the grip looks short. It's full sized...

I've fired both the AMT and Ruger in 30 carbine.

The AMT worked well. The grip felt a bit long as the round is nearly 1/2" longer than a 45 ACP but you can adapt to that. My only issue with buying one now is the parts situation. Some of the internals may be shared with AMT's 1911s but I'm not sure. Parts are always an issue with a limited production gun that hasn't been made in a while.

The Ruger worked as you would expect a Ruger to work, flawlessly. While slower to reload parts are a phone call away.

The only other handgun I know of made in 30 carbine is a large frame S&W prototype I saw at S&W. It was tried during WWII but never went into production because of the excessive muzzle blast. You get that muzzle blast and flame from the Ruger or AMT too. I might nominate the 30 carbine in a handgun as having the most muzzle blast of anything shot in a handgun. The flame coming out of that muzzle may be scorch your target if you fail to hit it with a bullet. This may be why you see a lot of them for sale.

The performance of the round is another consideration. A factory round will give you about 1400 fps from the 7 1/2" Blackhawk. That's 100-200 fps less than a 110 gr in a 357 magnum from a shorter barrel. There is also a greater variety of bullets available for a 357.

I'm just trying to make you aware of all factors in purchasing a 30 carbine handgun. If you're looking for practicality you're better off getting that Blackhawk in 357. The 30 carbine Blackhawk makes a good companion to a M1 carbine. If you want that 30 carbine just because you want one that's a perfectly good reason too.

Sending you a PM.

Got your PM, you are first in-line should I not buy anything. I have a lot of revolvers, maybe they need a new cousin........... I have three .357's and a .44 mag, all S&W's. Don't own a Ruger yet. Going to go shoot a friends and see if I like that funky "cowboy" frame/grip. Not sure if I will like it or not.

I looked-into the AMT's. Not too common and bringing a good penny when you find them. If it breaks, parts may be a real issue.

AMT's / Arcadia Machine & Tool, AutoMag - Harry Sanford entities. None had a great reputation for reliability.

The extreme muzzle flash from the .30 Carbine in a Ruger is because you are firing a rifle round in a handgun. That flash is all powder that would have burned-up in a longer barrel. If you handload, I would assume you could remedy that somewhat by using faster powders.

Mike - stop futzing around and just buy it :D

Adiois,

Pizza Bob

Mike,

You buy it and I'll teach ya how to make it work, lol! I've fired this model before and PB is right with the rifle powder. But don't let that worry you--cause I wouldn't bring it inside in any case. One cause it's a rifle round (on the prohibited list?) and two for the noise of all of that powder burning out in front of the muzzle. If you do get it, use 32 cal. cleaning acc's for the chambers to get rid of all of the powder crud in the cylinder to make clean-up a snap. :D

Rosey

Bob, you're correct about using faster powder to minimize the muzzle flash. However, most published data is with powders close in burn rate from about 2400 to N130. The fastest powder Lyman lists is Unique with a lead bullet that maxs out at about 1400 fps in order to stay in safe pressure limits. That will go down to maybe 1200 fps in a Blackhawk which a. 110 gr +P+ in 38 special is close to. You're never going to get max performance from a cartridge with fast powders.

Don't get me wrong. If that's what MB4GRINGO wants go for it. Just trying to make him aware of options and if its really a SA he's after a 357 would offer many more options one of them being he most likely already has other guns in the same caliber.

I have Tanker Garand in 7.62 NATO that is also a flamethrower. However, it is a neat gun and I like shooting it.

I've found muzzle blast bothers most people more than recoil and just want to make M4BGRINGO aware of it.

@GRIZ - isn't there load data published for .30 Carbine in the Ruger revolver specifically? Maybe Speer?

Bob,

I remember seeing load data for the Ruger too. Just not sure if it was for Hornady or Speer. I had a buddy that reloaded them in lead and the round worked well in both the revolver AND the Carbine M-1 (that's how long ago it was, lol). I do remember that he mentioned that he liked the clean-up when he sent them out the Ruger at less than 1300 FPS--less leading in the bore...