Sweet Chaos

Getting really confused about the steps to get my handgun.

I'm totally new to the gun world, and was planning on going today to the police station to apply for my permit, but I'm getting really confused about exactly what the process is. I know this has been answered before, there's no way it hasn't, but the more I look around on here and I talk to the people I know who shoot regularly, the more confused I'm getting.

Here is the impression I'm getting: I need a FID (Federal ID?) card just to be allowed to purchase a gun. This is acceptable for ANY gun I get, costs about $20 and doesn't expire? If I want to purchase a handgun, I also need a SEPARATE handgun permit, which is only active for a few months. I have to show BOTH of these documents to purchase a handgun, but only the FID to purchase something like a rifle.

Is this correct? I was also reading about a FPID. Is that the same as a FID? Federal Personal ID? Just a guess... And if I want to buy a rifle, I just have to show my FID/FPID? My mom has been talking to a friend of hers that shoots and some people from Shoreshot (sp?) and she's under the impression that you ONLY need the handgun permit, NOT the FID/FPID. I don't want to waste my time and money getting documents I don't need.

Also, is there a separate process to be able to keep a handgun on me? I keep hearing terms like, "license to carry" and "concealed firearm permit." How does this work.

Again, I'm sure all this has been addressed before, but the more I search the more confused I'm getting. Thanks in advance for your help!

Get your FID. Get your Pistol Purchase Permit (PPP). Go get your gun. You don't technically need your FID if you have a PPP to buy a handgun but you will need it to purchase ammunition. Get them both. Also, you can pay for your gun beforehand but will need the permit to remove it from the store and take ownership. Good to know if you fall in love with something that is difficult to get (like a Ruger 1911, for instance).

As for a carry permit they are almost impossible to get in this state. Call the NJ State Police and they will tell you what you will need if you would like to go for it. Remember, this state does not recognize the 2nd Amendment so you have to have a "need" to carry.

Good luck.

C

The FPID is a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card needed to purchase long guns. You need to get this along with your handgun purchase permit if you don't have one. You cannot obtain a handgun purchase permit without having a FPID.

Go to the police department and apply for both at the same time.

Concealed carry is an entire different ballgame in this state. Regular folks like us generally don't get carry permits in this state unless it's required for your job. You should become familiar with gun operation, shooting, and safety before even considering a carry permit. It carries a high responsibility.

There are many threads on this subject in these forums. Use the search function and good luck!

OK, here we go again. An FPID (that's Firearms Purchaser Identification) card is needed to purchase long guns or handgun ammo in NJ. It is good for as long as you live at that address (and DL & FPID addresses must match). You can purchase as many long guns as you want, once you have this. No constraints. In order to purchase a handgun, an individual Permit to Purchase (P2P) a handgun must be obtained for each handgun you desire. You may only purchase one handgun in any 30 day period - one gun a month (OGAM) - unless you fall under and have applied for one of the exemptions (don't worry about that for now - just keep it simple).

The process for applying for your FPID and/or P2P's is the same and consists of three elements:

Element 1 - The Application - Form STS-033. This is used for both FPID's and P2P's and you may apply for both simultaneously - just check the applicable boxes at the top of the form.

Element 2 - Fingerprinting or Non-criminal Background Check - Since this is your initial application you will have to be fingerprinted. NJ now uses a third party entity (Morpho-Trak aka Sagem Morpho) to accomplish this. Your PD will give you instructions and you will have to make an appointment. There is a charge for fingerprinting - not sure exactly but it's appx $60. Subsequent applications (i.e. for P2P's) will not require fingerprinting, just the completion of form SP-212A. (Non-criminal Background Check). This form is printed on yellow paper and is only available from your PD. There is an $18 charge for the Non-criminal Background check (MO made out to NJSP / SBI Division).

Element 3 - Mental Health Background Check - Complete form SP-066. This form must be signed in the presence of the investigationg police officer or their designate.

The application and Mental health forms (STS-033 and SP-066 respectively) are available on line at the NJSP website or are available from your PD.

The FPID card is $5 and the P2P's are $2 each. The P2P's are good for 90 days, and at the discretion of your PD can be extended for another 90 days (180 days total from date of issue).

Please note that any additional forms or requirements beyond those listed above are illegal. The police are supposed to be bound by the statutes just as we, as gunowners, are - that is not always the case. If they place an additional form or requirement in the process it is up to you whether to resist/refuse or comply - in either case I'd notify the NJ2AS and let them know - they are working on getting all PD's to comply with the law.

You can apply for as many P2P's as you want - but unless you file for an exemption, you can only use one every 30 days. Do not let the PD tell you you cannot have the number of P2P's you have requested - they cannot restrict that.

That about wraps it up. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It be good if we were posting it once a week, that would mean the population of free Americans expressing their rights is growing, and generally, that is a good thing.

There is also an employment form that is often completed, etc. when you apply. And, some police departments will opt not to follow the rules, such as usual timelines, number of permits granted, ability to renew after 90 days, etc.. But, knowing the complicated rules, that in many ways are used to discourage, will help you in your endeavors. Additionally, it is at the police department's option whether you will have to be refingerprinted each time you apply for a permit, or if you apply for a lost FID card, or a new one with a change of address.

There is also an employment form that is often completed, etc. when you apply.

Maybe your PD requires this illegal form, but it is not a statutorily defined requirement. There is a field on the STS-033 that asks for employment information. This is to be used for employment verification ONLY.

Unfortunately we live in a work "at will" state. Not hard to imagine an employer, with an anti-gun ideology, "punishing" an employee for what they like to do in their spare time - up to and including, termination. Almost impossible to prove in an "at will" state, which is why this illegal added requirement should be resisted most strenuously.

Please don't confuse new applicants with what your PD may require. The requirements are spelled out quite plainly in the statutes.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You got some good information from Pizza Bob and Topher. Just be careful what you listen to, as based on your initial post, you probably got some bad info, and even in this thread, were given bad info by Sigman. If you want to be sure about things, you can go right to the NJ statutes on this. NJ 2C:58 I believe is applicable.

http://www.nj-statute-info.com/getStatute.php?statute_id=2093

http://www.njlaws.co...html?id=2571&a=

http://www.tickethel...ey-1118159.html

http://www.tickethel...ey-1118160.html

And don't feel bad about being confused. The laws are confusing, and become even more confusing when you are told misinformation, or straight up lies by people who you would think know what they are talking about. That is not to mention that the rules/laws are rarely followed (on the issuance of an FPID or PPP).

And yes, FID and FPID are both abbreviations for the same thing you may see being used. The term in the statute (2c:58-3) is Firearms purchaser identification card.

OK, here we go again. An FPID (that's Firearms Purchaser Identification) card is needed to purchase long guns or handgun ammo in NJ. It is good for as long as you live at that address (and DL & FPID addresses must match). You can purchase as many long guns as you want, once you have this. No constraints. In order to purchase a handgun, an individual Permit to Purchase (P2P) a handgun must be obtained for each handgun you desire. You may only purchase one handgun in any 30 day period - one gun a month (OGAM) - unless you fall under and have applied for one of the exemptions (don't worry about that for now - just keep it simple).

The process for applying for your FPID and/or P2P's is the same and consists of three elements:

Element 1 - The Application - Form STS-033. This is used for both FPID's and P2P's and you may apply for both simultaneously - just check the applicable boxes at the top of the form.

Element 2 - Fingerprinting or Non-criminal Background Check - Since this is your initial application you will have to be fingerprinted. NJ now uses a third party entity (Morpho-Trak aka Sagem Morpho) to accomplish this. Your PD will give you instructions and you will have to make an appointment. There is a charge for fingerprinting - not sure exactly but it's appx $60. Subsequent applications (i.e. for P2P's) will not require fingerprinting, just the completion of form SP-212A. (Non-criminal Background Check). This form is printed on yellow paper and is only available from your PD. There is an $18 charge for the Non-criminal Background check (MO made out to NJSP / SBI Division).

Element 3 - Mental Health Background Check - Complete form SP-066. This form must be signed in the presence of the investigationg police officer or their designate.

The application and Mental health forms (STS-033 and SP-066 respectively) are available on line at the NJSP website or are available from your PD.

The FPID card is $5 and the P2P's are $2 each. The P2P's are good for 90 days, and at the discretion of your PD can be extended for another 90 days (180 days total from date of issue).

Please note that any additional forms or requirements beyond those listed above are illegal. The police are supposed to be bound by the statutes just as we, as gunowners, are - that is not always the case. If they place an additional form or requirement in the process it is up to you whether to resist/refuse or comply - in either case I'd notify the NJ2AS and let them know - they are working on getting all PD's to comply with the law.

You can apply for as many P2P's as you want - but unless you file for an exemption, you can only use one every 30 days. Do not let the PD tell you you cannot have the number of P2P's you have requested - they cannot restrict that.

That about wraps it up. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Nice. I'm definately saving this to my clipboard utility to re-post as/when needed, with your signature, of course.