Bully

Got My Equiptment... Now I Need Data!!!

I have about 90% of the minimum requirements to make reloading easy. However, I am now searching for data on the stuff I will be using. If anyone can help out, I would appreciate it. I will be reloading:

.357Mag

158gr Hornady SWC/HP Lead

CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum Primers

IMR Trail Boss

I went with the trail boss as it fills the case and is pretty different to look at so I can avoid double charges and mixing up powders as I add them to my repertoire.

If you have back up sources for your data, can you please let me know what they are? Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Christopher

The Lyman Manual, for 158gr HP says

IMR-4227

sugg. starting grains=12.2

velocity (fps) 944

pressure C.U.P.=21,500

Max load=16.1

Velocity=1249

Pressure=41,400

I didn't see any data on the trailboss powder though.

Hey all.

Nick got to me with the Hodgdon link. I'm good. Just spent an hour decapping/resizing both the .357 I'm going to use and some of the .38 that I will be looking to get rid of in the next few weeks. Like the press that I got, so far. Seems to be built like a tank. I got the Lyman T-Mag Turret. Weighs a bit, so I'm glad that I don't need to carry it around.

Thanks again.

C

Lets see Ive got all my stuff. Lee deluxe auto indexing turret Kit with the lee saftey prime. And all that goes with it to reload.

I got 4 extra 4 hole turrets.

4 Lee deluxe carbide pistol sets. 2 - 38 spl/357 dies, 40 S&W dies and 45 acp

I got the decapper deprimer die The Bulge buster kit with a 40 S&W and 45 ACP Lee factory crimp dies

I got the shell holder case.

Book/Guides:

Lymans 49th Edition

Modern Reloading 2nd Edition By Richard Lee (Excellent read if you have lee equipment)

Hodgdon Basic relaoders manual 1998

Accuarate reloaders guide 2001

IMR Handloaders guide 1997

Powders: Alliant "Bullseye" , Alliant "2400", Ramshot "True blue" and Vithavuori N 340

And a mentor who's been reloading for 35 years, all the books in the world don't beat that experience!

I keep an Excel sheet (soft copy reloading log) of the calibers that I reload. In the file, I store the manufacturer/book recipes in one area so that it's easy to compare along with my own reload/result data. It makes it easy to cross reference load data and keep track of inventory.

As others have noted, all powder manufacturers have data listed online that you can get info on for powders. Trail Boss seems suited for medium-powered loads, though I'll admit I've never tried it. For MAX loads in the .357, I've had good luck with H110, 2400, Blue Dot, W231, IMR4227 and W296.

This is a good link to show to some examples of various loadings and powders recipes. I would confirm these against what load manuals and powder manufacturers list in their data and go from there. Handloads.com also has a forum where folks are happy to share info.

http://www.handloads...ll&type=Handgun

I went with Trail Boss for a couple of reasons. 1- it fills the case pretty well making double charging more noticeable to this newb. 2- it's a soft shooting powder so it'll be good for my kid to be able to say he's shot a .357mag without killing him with recoil. 3- it was in stock at Davis' Sport Shop in Sloatsburg. Same with the bullets I picked up.

Next time thru, I will be looking for a hotter load as I am not all that sensitive to recoil and actually like to feel the gun kick a bit.

Got 80 rounds loaded up today. Looking forward to shooting them.

Now, if someone has a couple of spare loading blocks...

C

I suggest not to load large quantities of rounds until you test fire and find a recipe that you like. Load maybe 5 - 10 of each varying the powder. You want to work your way up and find the recipe that hits the "sweet spot" in your gun.

I suggest not to load large quantities of rounds until you test fire and find a recipe that you like. Load maybe 5 - 10 of each varying the powder. You want to work your way up and find the recipe that hits the "sweet spot" in your gun.

I know. But I got really happy makin' boolits!!!

C

I know. But I got really happy makin' boolits!!!

C

Yea it's fun but I would get a chrono to test what you make and go from there. While books and other data will get you in the ballpark it's really fun when you get it tuned just right for your gun. Then you can run off a bunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also for anyone who doesn't have one and come to matches at OB, I always have one in my car. So if anyone want to chrono some rounds and I'm at the match let me know and we can do some testing.

As always with using someones chrono, you shoot it you buy it. ;)

Fired off about 30 reloads. Still have my face!!! Very excited about that.

Really soft shooting rounds and pretty accurate at the 23 yards I was shooting them. My kid liked them as well. Thanks for all the info y'all put on here.

C